Search the forum,

Discuss New toilet cistern parts, now get severe water hammer in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all. The syphon failed, so I fitted a new Fluidmaster flush valve with side handle which is very good.
I took advantage of pulling the cistern apart to fit a new bottom entry fill valve, namely a Skylo type. The original took forever to fill. I won't bore you with the details but I want a reasonably quick fill. The new fill valve must shut off too quickly as I get severe water hammer now when the valve shuts. I have reduced the main stopcock to reduce flow, and I have partially closed the cistern isolation valve. I now detect a little hammer, but the general house flows are now too low. So I really want to open the stopcock and isolator and attack this hammer another way.
Can somebody please advise what I can do? Can I fit an alternative fill valve that will not cause hammer. It just needs a valve that will shut more slowly.

Incidentally, just after the main stopcock is an inclined pressure reduction vale set to 3 bar, made by Caleffi.
Can I reduce the pressure with this valve and cure the hammer, whilst maintaining a reasonable flow?

Thanks for any help.
Nick

Hello Nick. I wouldn't turn the main stopcock down. All that does is reduce flow everywhere and will not reduce pressure. 3 bar is about what you want. You might be best to have the pressure checked as it is always possible that the PRV and gauge could be faulty.
I would recommend you fit a Fluidmaster Pro valve with brass tail. It should be the type with a red top. It comes with a 'screw' type insert for flow reducer

Defs fit a fluidmaster...

Cheers for the heads up on the viva skylo too, I will stay away lol

Thanks. Will try the Fluidmaster Pro. It says in the specification it is height adjustable 230mm-355mm. Is this the water level? My cistern water line is 195mm.

Thanks. Will try the Fluidmaster Pro. It says in the specification it is height adjustable 230mm-355mm. Is this the water level? My cistern water line is 195mm.

The fluidmaster pro will fit fine, it's telescopic so can easily be adjusted to fit, a much better fill valve

Many thanks. I can see it's telescopic, but was concerned about the heights 230mm-355mm given. Are these water heights or overall height of the valve? My water line is at 195mm, that is, 35mm below the minimum height given for the valve.

The Fluidmaster Pro valve now resides in my cistern There is absolutely no evidence of water hammer whatsoever, and it fills in a very acceptable time even with the flow restrictor fitted. Many thanks guys for the help and particularly Best who originally recommended this valve. I also have the main stopcock opened to give maximum tap flows, etc, and the cistern isolator fully open again. I will stick with Fluidmaster products in future. The Viva Skylo products cause problems in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to New toilet cistern parts, now get severe water hammer in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi. I need a new toilet supply line but don’t know the size type of the fitting at the shut off valve. It is not 3/8 compression. It is a plastic nut about the same size as the one going into the cistern but has a different thread. Attached is a photo. Can you advise. Thanks.
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
Our kitchen mixer tap has started dripping. Like so much of the plumbing in our almost new build bungalow, it is lacking! The plumber didn't install any isolating cocks in the H&C feed to the tap so how can I identify which of the valves is passing? Shut the whole H&C water system down?
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock