Search the forum,

Discuss Evohome design and reliability in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

After a busy year I’ve finally got some time to try and improve the controls of our heating at home.

I’ve fitted a few Nest systems and think they are quite good for smaller installs.

I’ve been looking at the Evohome equipment as the smart TRVs seem like a really good idea.

Currently the heating is zoned with 4 2 port solenoid valves (CH up, CH dn, CH annex, DHW).

I’d be grateful to hear anyone’s experience or options on the following:

I’ve seen a few mentions of the phone/internet side of this being unreliable. Has anyone experienced this ?

If you’re fitting smart TRVs to every radiator would you remove the zone valves and just rely on the TRVs?

Evohome seems a lot more versatile than Nest etc, but also looks quite dated. Does anyone know if they are planning a new product launch any time soon?

I can’t see much advantage to controlling DHW through the Evohome system. Am I missing something? Currently thinking I might leave that on old conventional controls for now.

After a busy year I’ve finally got some time to try and improve the controls of our heating at home.

I’ve fitted a few Nest systems and think they are quite good for smaller installs.

I’ve been looking at the Evohome equipment as the smart TRVs seem like a really good idea.

Currently the heating is zoned with 4 2 port solenoid valves (CH up, CH dn, CH annex, DHW).

I’d be grateful to hear anyone’s experience or options on the following:

I’ve seen a few mentions of the phone/internet side of this being unreliable. Has anyone experienced this ?

If you’re fitting smart TRVs to every radiator would you remove the zone valves and just rely on the TRVs?

Evohome seems a lot more versatile than Nest etc, but also looks quite dated. Does anyone know if they are planning a new product launch any time soon?

I can’t see much advantage to controlling DHW through the Evohome system. Am I missing something? Currently thinking I might leave that on old conventional controls for now.
I fitted an Evohome system with all the rad heads, room stats etc and all I can say is that its been a nightmare. It was in a large house in Muswell Hill, London and over 3 floors. I think because the controls are spread out over the house and some quite a way from the receiver they loose signal. I had to split the system up into 11 zones and also had to reconfigure the wiring quite a lot. Had to fit a replay too as 1 pump was circulating ground, 1st & 2nd floors and HW. And what Honeywell require is a 300mm gap between receivers which just isn't possible when using 11 of them.

Unfortunately I think its the only internet based control on the market that allows more than 3 zones to be controlled. I would look into it more before you commit as its not cheap and could pose a lot of issues if not installed properly.

Hope this helps

I am biased, I like and regularly fit Evohome Systems.

Addressing your points:

The communication protocol used is very dated (and I am told) not of a configuration that can easily be upgraded.

The system is robust and when setup properly is reliable and maintenance free - apart from yearly battery changes.

It is expensive, the parts pricing alone for most systems -10 zones average - we instal are circa £900. Add to that the installation cost of £390 ( 6 hours) so it is not cheap.

In my view, it is unlikely that Honeywell will undertake a major upgrade. I think that they will introduce a new product, but it won’t be backwards compatible with the current Evohome ( they will probably use a new comms protocol).

It is a “life style” product, it is very effective in larger properties where some rooms are not used on a daily basis and (after the learning cycle is complete) provides a comfortable temperature environment. However, the payback period is probably 8 years plus - hence my use of the term lifestyle.

The earlier poster cited separation distances (300mm) this is only for the BDR 91 receivers and they also need to be over 300mm away from a large metallic object - like a DHW tank! So not really installer friendly!!

Adressing your specific points, if all rads are zoned, you don’t need the control valves. However, if you are not controlling through Open Therm, I would leave them in place and control through a BDR 91. Why? Because if Evohome looses control - or batteries are exhausted, it defaults to operating at 20 degrees C.

Manual control of the radiator valves can be an issue. If heating it set to off and a valve is manually opened it will trigger a call for heat until it ( the temp on the rad valve ) is satisfied or the next set point is reached. If heating is set to off, the next set point is never reached! The answer is to always leave the heating on Normal or Economy mode ( so a set point is reached) i Evohome terms off does not mean off!!

The smart phone interface et al - I have never had a problem or customer complain about loss of service - and I have some very picky Customers! When upgrades are scheduled, Honeywell advise you 10 days in advance and the outage periods are generally 6 hours or less overnight.

Pre installation, you can set up, configure and fully test a complete installation before you fit it in the property. We do this with every installation.

With the customers approval you can remotely monitor and control every Evohome system you have installed.

Honeywell written installation instructions are at best poor / confusing. Telephone support is quick and generally to a high standard.

So, in conclusion, if you want to supply and fit Evohome as part of your business - fit one at home and play with it ( that is what I did and learnt a lot). Don’t try to fit Evohome to a customer as a one off - you need to be familiar with the idiosyncrasies of the system - double binding of units is a common problem.

The above comments are based my experience with Gas and Oil fuelled systems. I would not recommend Evohome for the control of air or ground source heat pumps. It will support those systems, but Evohome requires a lot of on site customisation to be effective for heat pumps.

There is a lot of very capable on line technical expertise for Evohome on Automated Home - particularly with respect to the protocols used in the system (and their limitations). Or on a more simplistic level, Richard at the Evohome Shop.

To conclude, my experience is very positive, but you have to persevere and don’t expect the pay back to cover the cost of savings in energy use for less than 8 years. On the plus side when you move, you take the system with you!!

DHW control. On the face if it I agree with your comments. However, I took the plunge and it will control DHW to plus or minus 1 degree C. A pity that it does not have a legionella cleaning setting ( if that is the correct term) - but I would instal the Evohome DHW option if cost is not a limiting issue.

Hope the above helps

Last edited:
A mate of mine fitted Evohome to his 4 bed house and as far as I'm aware the installation and functionality has worked out perfectly.

The main control "panel" is in the hall and he can also control it from his phone

His misses has struggled with the control panel so he's fitted the "room" stat in the main rooms to allow for easier control of these individual rooms.

I fitted an Evohome system with all the rad heads, room stats etc and all I can say is that its been a nightmare. It was in a large house in Muswell Hill, London and over 3 floors. I think because the controls are spread out over the house and some quite a way from the receiver they loose signal. I had to split the system up into 11 zones and also had to reconfigure the wiring quite a lot. Had to fit a replay too as 1 pump was circulating ground, 1st & 2nd floors and HW. And what Honeywell require is a 300mm gap between receivers which just isn't possible when using 11 of them.

Unfortunately I think its the only internet based control on the market that allows more than 3 zones to be controlled. I would look into it more before you commit as its not cheap and could pose a lot of issues if not installed properly.

Hope this helps

Hi Eagleeye,

Thanks for the info, I think the main saving will come from the geofencing feature where you can turn off/down the heating if we’re all out of the house. It’s an old stone house with 2ft thick walls so I’m a bit concerned how any wireless system will function. I’m tempted to just stick a Hive/Nest in, not keen on the idea that of the Honeywell website goes down you can’t control your heating.

A mate of mine fitted Evohome to his 4 bed house and as far as I'm aware the installation and functionality has worked out perfectly.

The main control "panel" is in the hall and he can also control it from his phone

His misses has struggled with the control panel so he's fitted the "room" stat in the main rooms to allow for easier control of these individual rooms.

Thanks, interesting to know. It looks quite antiquated compared to the offerings from other vendors. It seems a bit crazy they only seem to do a single channel relay box. You’d think for what it would cost most/all would supply a 3 or even 4 channel relay module that covers most situations. Excuse to extract more cash I guess.

Thanks, interesting to know. It looks quite antiquated compared to the offerings from other vendors. It seems a bit crazy they only seem to do a single channel relay box. You’d think for what it would cost most/all would supply a 3 or even 4 channel relay module that covers most situations. Excuse to extract more cash I guess.
It could be seen that way, but in reality the BDR91 relay box is compatible with over a dozen different thermostat systems. Starting with a single room/house thermostat up to complex Evohome systems. It's also backwards compatible for about 20 years well before the recent Smart Home hype and there are thousands of these BDR91 boxed in the field today. I should also mention that Evohome supports OpenTherm which is a modern and more efficient way to control boilers rather than using on/off relays.

Reply to Evohome design and reliability in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock