Search the forum,

Discuss Best insulation for exterior 15mm pipe? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am trying to work out what is the best insulation to us on 15mm pipe that is outdoors!!! The pipe is under a static caravan and the site is open 12 months of the year. I only need about 4m and the thickest I have seen is 25mm wall thickness.

So any ideas what is best way to stop the external pipes from freezing in the winter?

Thanks

I would fit 25mm armaflex and fit trace heating for the times it's below -5.
Make sure it's well installed and don't leave anything uncovered.

I would fit 25mm armaflex and fit trace heating for the times it's below -5.
Make sure it's well installed and don't leave anything uncovered.
Cheers for that. Do you know of anywhere that might stock the Armafex?
I had forgotten about heat trace cable. That might be a great way to 'assist' the insulation. There are a few kits on ebay but the watts per meter does vary quite a bit. Is there a formula to work out what I watts per meter I might need? I have only used heat trace once about 20 years ago to stop summer diesel going waxy in the winter. (Long story but had to test summer spec fuel in winter). I just used highest wattage I could get as I wasn't bothered about running costs but now it's my elec bill I want to get most economical to run that will be up to the job.
Thanks again.

Internet just use google easy to get hold of but make sure it's water proof eg for use in external environment

Internet just use google easy to get hold of but make sure it's water proof eg for use in external environment
Cheers. I have tried Google but the killer is normally minimum order value or p&p.
Bss isn't too far from me so that might be easiest. Also as the insulation will be well under the van I am confident it will never get wet, unless the pipes burst :)
Thanks.

Cheers. I have tried Google but the killer is normally minimum order value or p&p.
Bss isn't too far from me so that might be easiest. Also as the insulation will be well under the van I am confident it will never get wet, unless the pipes burst :)
Thanks.

No risk of flooding there then?

Thanks.

just watch out for uv :)

also

https://www.pipelagging.com/

I lived in a caravan in Powys throughout December 2014. While I didn't have much heating and once got up to ice in my toilet bowl and basin trap, I never had my water pipes (outside, under the van floor, and not nearly as well lagged as a continuous 25mm thickness) freeze on me. In any case, they were Speedfit or Hep, so would have been easy fix if they had frozen. I drained down when I vacated the site, but not while I was there.

If you're that bothered, could you not lag them and then lag the lagging with felt, or run the lagging through the centre of a 4" soil pipe filled with expanding foam?

No risk of flooding there then?
I would be very surprised if it flooded. While the van is on the side of a river valley the water level must be about 40ft-50ft below the van. The site had a flood 'risk assessment' carried out and said it was fine. So hopefully it will be fine :)

I lived in a caravan in Powys throughout December 2014. While I didn't have much heating and once got up to ice in my toilet bowl and basin trap, I never had my water pipes (outside, under the van floor, and not nearly as well lagged as a continuous 25mm thickness) freeze on me. In any case, they were Speedfit or Hep, so would have been easy fix if they had frozen. I drained down when I vacated the site, but not while I was there.

If you're that bothered, could you not lag them and then lag the lagging with felt, or run the lagging through the centre of a 4" soil pipe filled with expanding foam?

That is good to know. I am probably going ott but want to be able to use van in winter. The thicker insulation isn't much more expensive than the economy stuff so worth it I think.
I am intending to drain down and blow out pipe work when leaving from Oct to March ish.
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Best insulation for exterior 15mm pipe? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock