Search the forum,

Discuss Worcester 42cdi Hot water problem in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello,
I have a problem with my Worcester Greenstar 42cdi. It was working fine until yesterday. when I noticed that the hot water would not get hot. upon further investigation, I am even more baffled.
The boiler is in the upstairs bathroom.
1. Bathroom sink, (closest to boiler) gives warm water.
2. Bath tap, warm but not hot enough for a bath.

If I run both taps at the same time, the bath tap goes cold, but the sink tap gets boiling hot. I cannot get the bath tap to give out hot water. Also, hot tap on kitchen sink wont only giving cold water. I have isolated shower and mixer tap, but problem persists.

Any help greatly appreciated as wife is frustrated!

Last edited:
Do you have a shower that mixes hot and cold water? If so, I suspect it's not isolating the hot and cold supplies properly and is allowing cold to feed into the hot pipework. Relatively easy to confirm by feeling the temperature of the pipes and applying a bit of logic.

Thanks for the quick reply. Ive isolated the shower hot and cold, but still have the same problem.
[automerge]1567000353[/automerge]
Am I missing something?..... having isolated the shower and mixer taps, I believe this problem is theoretically impossible i.e. When I turn on the hot taps on the Bathroom and Kitchen sink, the bathroom sink tap is giving hot water and the kitchen sink tap is giving cold water (not even warm)! Is there a scenario where this is possible?

Last edited:
Is this a new installation or an old friend gone wrong ?
chking
it was installed about 5years ago, its been running great, no problems at all.
[automerge]1567007707[/automerge]
Ive found the problem!...
the garden hosepipe is linked to the hot water system, It was fitted a few years ago but never been used. It is connected under the kitchen sink, (hot and cold merge into the one pipe which goes outside to the hosepipe).

I switched the hot on to fill the swimming pool for the grand daughter and forgot to switch it off afterwards. Obviously, it is not a one way valve as when this valve is open, the cold water is running into the hot water pipe.
What type of valve should this be?

Thanks for your help

Last edited:
it was installed about 5years ago, its been running great, no problems at all.
[automerge]1567007707[/automerge]
Ive found the problem!.
the garden hosepipe is linked to the hot water system, It was fitted a few years ago but never been used. It is connected under the kitchen sink, (hot and cold merge into the one pipe which goes outside to the hosepipe).

I switched the hot on to fill the swimming pool for the grand daughter and forgot to switch it off afterwards. Obviously, it is not a one way valve as when this valve is open, the cold water is running into the hot water pipe.
What type of valve should this be?

Thanks for your help
That really is a one off for UKPF never seen one like this
centralheatking

That really is a one off for UKPF never seen one like this
centralheatking
Yes, your right!
Hot and cold water pipes have lever ball valves fitted then go to ONE copper pipe. cold is always on, when I switched the hot on, and the hosepipe was off, seems like the cold water was making its way into the hot water feed.
What type of valve needs to be fitted to prevent this?

Double check valve

But tbh you shouldn’t have them connected also there’s a backflow risk with the pool

Double check valve

But tbh you shouldn’t have them connected also there’s a backflow risk with the pool
A potential risk, double check valve yes £7.00 from Bes Electric Ave Brum but unless your pool is higher than the lowest cold water point in your home which is rare then the risk is minimal in real terms.
Wras regulations are a world standard to which many countries
subscribe they cover all installations, fitters and devices in contact with the drinking water supply right down to induvidual homes and quite rightly so.....centralheatking if you get it wrong you might be having pool water in your expresso or your kids sorbet but its unlikely

Last edited:
This is not the way to do it for all sorts of reasons one of which you have now identified , employ a plumber to separate the supplies and fit the equipment to have a warm water supply externally. Kop

Reply to Worcester 42cdi Hot water problem in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock