Search the forum,

Discuss Why is my new kitchen sink clogging? in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Two months ago our landlord installed a new double kitchen basin. The previous sink had cracked, but at least water went down the drain as well as onto the wooden cabinet floor. Heck yeah, it was a mess..... The minute they installed the new, two-sided sink, both sides began to back up. I removed the trap several times, but found no blocks.

The landlord said to throw some drain cleaner down the pipes which I would never do at my own house unless pressed in an emergency. Chemicals cleared the system for maybe 20 minutes max. It could be a blockage further down the pipe, but that sounds like reaching to me. Wouldn't the sink have started blocking up before being replaced. I kept the traps as clean as I could. There is no disposal unit here.

Could it be a block further down the pipes? Why would it start after changing a sink? Could it be old pipes? What type of pipe could be affected in hours, not days. It's an old house. I'm going to call the local water authority to see if I can find out the type of pipes, to see how old they are, to see if any work has been done or is currently being done in the neighborhood.

Having once found a small sponge that somebody plugged a pipe with whilst working but then forgot to remove anything is possible and I`m leaning towards an installation fault. Could you post a photo of the overall set up.

Having once found a small sponge that somebody plugged a pipe with whilst working but then forgot to remove anything is possible and I`m leaning towards an installation fault. Could you post a photo of the overall set up.
Thank you for replying. I’d appreciate your feedback. I’m also proud to report after joining the forum that I did some online research and figured out that an extension tube had slid down into the bottom housing leaving a huge gap. It took me awhile to slide it up and attach it securely to the (left side of the sink) and insert it into the trap if that’s what it’s called. It has been working since 4-5 a.m. yesterday morning French time. That’s right. I joined the Oklahoma forum because I was getting a bum steer from a French plumber. I’m sending the pix now because I need some validation that it won’t explode and send a torrent of water all over the place. Is it usual or common for all the pvc pipes and connections to be just a little off? I saw the plumber put in the sink and he just sort of eyeballed it. And when I tightened everything you could see that nothing is really square. And I would love to know how a single tube fixed the problem? The landlord forced me to pour caustics down his pipes and I believed that couldn’t be the problem. It started to clog immediately after the installation. I wish I had taken pix of the sink when it had filled. Put water down the left drain and the right would fill and start to swirl with crap from the right side and vice versa. I suppose the drain cleaner (They call it de-stop here) could have finally worked its way to a clog. And I may have added enough juice to dissolve a boulder so as not to give the landlord an excuse to say we had caused the problem.

Attachments

• C30B57F2-A267-426F-AE80-B31E30A25B4D.jpeg
    C30B57F2-A267-426F-AE80-B31E30A25B4D.jpeg
    101.9 KB · Views: 23
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1867.MOV
    15.1 MB
Squareness of pipes & fittings is best, if a pipe slid down then it needs clipping to something or supporting so it can`t happen again.

It may be the camera but follow the pipe down from the sink to the left turn elbow, now does that short horizontal rise towards the bottle trap? If it does then this is going to be a problem area.

Looks like someone modified the installation, who uses a bottle trap on a sink waste? As rpm says the pipework rises to the trap also.
Are you saying that they shouldn't have used or didn't need to use that pear-shaped trap, a bottle trap? He installed it with the sink. I watched him do the original install. He was pretty confident as he eyeballed all the connections, but the drains started blocking up the same day.

Thanks everyone for your feedback and help. I was desperate to fix those drains. I was blamed for blocking the pipes when the problem only started after the sink had been replaced. I did a bonehead thing with the sink at first because we were rushing to come back to the states. That's a long story. It was hard to defend the idea that we didn't cause the problem. You can't break something that wasn't working properly in the first place. I'll suggest that they have their plumber revisit his work after we leave.

Speaking about kitchen sinks... for those living in Oklahoma, I was looking for an honest plumbing company that could help me out with my kitchen sink, and these guys plumbing inc did a tremendous job. The quote was accurate and once the total amount I paid wasn't too far off.

A bottle trap or pear shaped trap is not a good choice for a kitchen sink, because of the types of things that go down there. Even if one is to be used it should look more like the first picture, ideally the second installation is better. No added bit at the beginning on either installation.

Attachments

• pipe-under-kitchen-sink-consist-260nw-1792807630.jpg
    pipe-under-kitchen-sink-consist-260nw-1792807630.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 8
  • fit-a-tap-sink-and-waste-91.jpg
    fit-a-tap-sink-and-waste-91.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 9

Reply to Why is my new kitchen sink clogging? in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello. I am planning to build a small half bath in my garage, next to a washing machine, using old showers plumbing. There was a stand-alone shower in the garage which has been removed. Unfortunately the pipes are only 1.5" on that side of the house since there's no bathroom and the house is...
Replies
Views
Good afternoon, Just looking for some general advise, I'm renovating my kitchen and need to disconnect my kitchen sink pipes while I re-plaster the room and wait for my new sink to arrive. So I need to temporary cap off the two below connections cant seem to find what is the best way to do this.
Replies
Views
Hi I have a little problem or a question if all you experienced people can put me straight please? I am just a bit surprised - I had a call out for a plumbing job - in London - the flat is rented out. The kitchen sink was blocked. I called out one company, they did not fix it, and that was £95...
Replies
Views
    • Useful
My parents have a leak from kitchen sink. My dad removed waste trap and since refitted it leaks, but there wasn’t any kind of seal on it, I got a rubber/plastic gasket that seems To fit the trap but with it, I can’t get it to screw and lock back on (has lugs so locks after quarter turn. But...
Replies
Views
I had a potential leak in the island kitchen drain, but it's no longer an issue after using an auger through the clean-out pipe. The water seemed to be coming out from the base of the pipe. I've removed a section of drywall for inspection purposes. After filling both sinks with water and...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock