Search the forum,

Discuss Where to start in Gas in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi

I have been plumbing now for 2 years and everyone keeps asking me if I am gas safe, which I am not. I am considering studying for the NVQ2 and 3 then go for the ACS.

Can anyone recommend some good basic books on gas to get me started?

Many thanks

Paul:D

Hi

I have been plumbing now for 2 years and everyone keeps asking me if I am gas safe, which I am not. I am considering studying for the NVQ2 and 3 then go for the ACS.

Can anyone recommend some good basic books on gas to get me started?

Many thanks

Paul:D
hi paul,

i suggest you try and get the most up to date book u can.. i have the logic gas safty traing manual which is very good if u can get ur hands on it, start of learning about ventilation, combustion, gas valves and controls things like that, the internet is a good place to find information and on forums like this also look into gas fittings and pipework . look on ebay or amazon for some books i remember seeing some on it.

I am in the exact same position as you are. I have been plumbing for two years, have an NVQ level 2 and want to get Gas Safe. I know that the best course to do is the ACS CCN1. Which comes in three categories. CAT 3 is for corgi engineers/experienced engineers having to update there skills and transfer their Corgi into Gas Safe. CAT 2 is for people who have some experience in the field, working under the supervision of a gas safe engineer and also has a recognised plumbing qualification ie NVQ level 2-3. CAT 1 is for complete novices. You will also need to build a portfolio with a Gas Safe engineer and the problem I have is that I don't know any. No one seems to be willing to let you work with them these days (even if you offer to work for nothing) as people seem to be very protective over their trade and un-willing to train up someone that could be potentially competition in the future (which I can kind of understand to be fair). I have found a training provider in Romford, Essex called Birtchcroft and they can provide the work experience needed to complete the portfolio but the prices are very hefty and I am in two minds whether to use them. Your looking at 4k + for only twenty days training plus 1k + for appliance assessments and training. Did you get that book dwb78 recommended if so is it helpful? Could you let me know if you have made any progress cheers ;)

i think youve got that the wrong way around jolly, 3,2,1 is the order.

also up here same is around ÂŁ1800!!!! for 20 days.
so i think your paying through the nose for that one. shop around a bit more is my tip.

Last edited by a moderator:
And theres me thinking im mr know it all haha so im a CAT 3 then :D I have relatives in Lincolnshire, which is only an hours drive away from notts. Could you give me the learning providers details? Do they provide a Gas Safe engineer to go out and work with though?

How do I look at the survey results?

I am in the exact same position as you are. I have been plumbing for two years, have an NVQ level 2 and want to get Gas Safe. I know that the best course to do is the ACS CCN1. Which comes in three categories. CAT 3 is for corgi engineers/experienced engineers having to update there skills and transfer their Corgi into Gas Safe. CAT 2 is for people who have some experience in the field, working under the supervision of a gas safe engineer and also has a recognised plumbing qualification ie NVQ level 2-3. CAT 1 is for complete novices. You will also need to build a portfolio with a Gas Safe engineer and the problem I have is that I don't know any. No one seems to be willing to let you work with them these days (even if you offer to work for nothing) as people seem to be very protective over their trade and un-willing to train up someone that could be potentially competition in the future (which I can kind of understand to be fair). I have found a training provider in Romford, Essex called Birtchcroft and they can provide the work experience needed to complete the portfolio but the prices are very hefty and I am in two minds whether to use them. Your looking at 4k + for only twenty days training plus 1k + for appliance assessments and training. Did you get that book dwb78 recommended if so is it helpful? Could you let me know if you have made any progress cheers ;)
hey guys you might find it hard to get that book as its the verifiers training manual but u might b able to get the older ones which are produced by VIPER. i went into cat 2 because of previous nvqs in welding and fabrication and i had someone who owns there own buisness to work with. this method would save u alot of cash but u do need the experience, my advice is if youve exhausted every gas firm there is for work, is to invest in the cat3. i know its very expensive and you wont get it back untill mayb years down the line along with any other costs but unfortunatly its a must if u want to get into gas with no support.. im trying to establish myself after just getting into the gas saftey registrar and its very difficult but were theres a will theres a way and means to get something you want. the prices for the cat 3 are expensive because there is more in depth training as ur expected to b a newbie. i hope yous find someone to work with but if not shop around for the best prices for cat3 and ask if u can pay it of in installments.all i can say is keep trying your time will come. sorry bout the speeling im **** at it

hi paul

if you still need to do nvq2 it may be difficult to get a place on ACS you will also need to prove your experiance of working along a gsr engineer, keep working at it and you will get there in the end

And theres me thinking im mr know it all haha so im a CAT 3 then :D I have relatives in Lincolnshire, which is only an hours drive away from notts. Could you give me the learning providers details? Do they provide a Gas Safe engineer to go out and work with though?

How do I look at the survey results?
no, not really.
i dont think in your case it will be worth your while.

the place is a pay as you go gas centre, no real course no books or tasks, just to the grindstone stuff.

tbh you need to team up with a gsr, whatever it takes, sleep with him if you have too. then go cat 2 and just do the certs.
hope that helps.
the results were in the forum posts.:)

I'm a self employed plumber and just did my training with a private company cost me ÂŁ5250.00 which is expensive but the problem for me was that although i had done level 2 CG tech certificate at keighley i could find no one willing to give me work experience locally to do level 3 as i was there competition. however after getting acs passed this week i would not going down the path of getting with a private training company as they are only interested in 1 thing money. the amount of crap i had to put up with was unbeliveable and training was substandard had to a lot hard work off my own back( which you should be doing anyway) but it made for a stressfull 6 months

i am a plumber for many years and decided to study for acs

i spent 1 year at college 2 years condensed into 1 and then done the exams and passed
here is breakdown

college course plus gas core and boiler element ÂŁ2500

then i went back for

Energy Effeicency ÂŁ125

cookers ÂŁ165

gas fires ÂŁ185

then signed up with Gas safe ÂŁ400 so total that ÂŁ3375

so not bad considering i paid it for myself.and it was a very tough year.

i am a plumber for many years and decided to study for acs

i spent 1 year at college 2 years condensed into 1 and then done the exams and passed
here is breakdown

college course plus gas core and boiler element ÂŁ2500

then i went back for

Energy Effeicency ÂŁ125

cookers ÂŁ165

gas fires ÂŁ185

then signed up with Gas safe ÂŁ400 so total that ÂŁ3375

so not bad considering i paid it for myself.and it was a very tough year.

what area was that in ? thanks

I must admit although I am retired I find the industry is now a disgrace, it seems to be inhabited by loads of expensive training courses and the ethos has become "Look after number one"

Most of the problem I feel is down to government and the H and S executive making regulations that force people to have to take to many expensive tests. It should have been done through taxing those that make the most out of the industry paying for the training of those in it. Centrica made ÂŁ500 first half profits this year and nobody turned a hair. They could probably pay for all training and probably not even notice they had.

hey lads. i completed a gas course, it cost me about ÂŁ5500, and it lasted for 4 weeks, plus 3 day assessment... BUUUUUT, you also got to do your work placement with a trainer who also owned his own business for a week, covering all you need for the portfolio.
Its quite a tough thing to do, and once your all passed, you will find its another 3-6 weeks before you get your ACS certification. then, you have to find another ÂŁ500 to register as gas safe. thats a long time without being paid, and a lot of dosh to find. this is b4 u get your van, your flue gas analyser, tools, advertising etc etc, although those of you already plumbing are already half way there i guess. i passed on july 13th, still waiting for my certs. Ive also found that a few people dont seem to regard the fast track courses as "proper" training. Belive me, it is. Hope that helps....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Where to start in Gas in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello Plumbers/Gas Engineers, Excuse if this question has been raised but i am in a slight dilemma and for the past 2 weeks the internet has not really solved this, so I feel i need some real advice from real tradesmen. I am 21 and stuck behind a desk not progressing into a career, I have...
Replies
Views
Hello everyone! I’m currently a 24 year old level 3 NVQ plumber from the Manchester area, I am starting a gas training course next month which after/during the course I am required to find work experience where i will be supervised by a gas safe engineer. For my portfolio, i must provide a...
Replies
Views
Hi all hope all is well I am 24 with a NVQ L1 & L2 in plumbing, I wanted to further my skills and become gas safe, I have started college and have completed all my theory and practical in class and I have hit a brick wall. I had someone that was gas registered and now has had something come up...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am currently training up to become gas safe and would like to further my experience in an unpaid traineeship. I had been in a plumbing apprenticeship in the past, but it didn't work out between me and my employer, possibly because of my inexperience, the fact that they wanted someone...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have no previous experience in plumbing or any trade, however I am interested in training as a gas safe engineer. I am looking to do the fast track gas safe engineer course with able skills. My friend who is now a gas safe engineer working for a company said he did a course with able...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock