Search the forum,

Discuss What is the optimal temperature for boiler ? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello guys,
We have a quite big boiler which circulates hot water in our hot water storage tanks and 80 apartments radiators.
We have currently set the boiler thermostat to 65 °C and the boiler Flue gases are between 250-350 °C.
The person who services our boiler insists that we lower the boiler thermostat even more and says it would prolong the lifespan of the boiler, but I have heard that boiler should not operate below 60 °C because it causes the Flue gas to form acidic chemicals and eat into the boiler pipes.
The service worker says because our flue gas temperature is so high, such acidic chemicals will never form and it is better to lower the temperature.
I would like to hear your advice on this matter, If you need more info or pics let me know.

Regards

if you lower it any more you may not get the desired stored hot water temperature which could lead to legionella problems

The primary method used to control the risk from Legionella is water temperature control.
Water services should be operated at temperatures that prevent Legionella growth:
  • Hot water storage cylinders (calorifiers) should store water at 60°C or higher
  • Hot water should be distributed at 50°C or higher (thermostatic mixer valves need to be fitted as close as possible to outlets, where a scald risk is identified).
  • Cold water should be stored and distributed below 20°C.

Hello guys,
We have a quite big boiler which circulates hot water in our hot water storage tanks and 80 apartments radiators.
We have currently set the boiler thermostat to 65 °C and the boiler Flue gases are between 250-350 °C.
The person who services our boiler insists that we lower the boiler thermostat even more and says it would prolong the lifespan of the boiler, but I have heard that boiler should not operate below 60 °C because it causes the Flue gas to form acidic chemicals and eat into the boiler pipes.
The service worker says because our flue gas temperature is so high, such acidic chemicals will never form and it is better to lower the temperature.
I would like to hear your advice on this matter, If you need more info or pics let me know.

Regards
On non-condensing Boilers (particularly ones with cast iron heat exchangers), running them at too low a temperature can cause them to suffer more corrosion internally to the flue ways and combustion chamber walls.

My opinion is that they should be run above the Boiler dew point point which is normally 55 degrees Celsius or thereabouts. Although the flue gases are at a higher temperature than that of a condensing Boiler, condensate can still form on the internal skin due to lower surface temperatures. I always run them at 60 degrees Celsius or above to help to prevent that.

if you lower it any more you may not get the desired stored hot water temperature which could lead to legionella problems

The primary method used to control the risk from Legionella is water temperature control.
Water services should be operated at temperatures that prevent Legionella growth:
  • Hot water storage cylinders (calorifiers) should store water at 60°C or higher
  • Hot water should be distributed at 50°C or higher (thermostatic mixer valves need to be fitted as close as possible to outlets, where a scald risk is identified).
  • Cold water should be stored and distributed below 20°C.
Absolutely correct, gas mark has it right on there is no margin beyond this criteria
chking
[automerge]1576687646[/automerge]
Hello guys,

Regards
Your advisor is wrong its that simple. centralheatking

Absolutely correct, gas mark has it right on there is no margin beyond this criteria
chking

As @Last Plumber suggested, we do have a non-condensing boiler with cast iron heat exchangers.
I have attached the boiler spec to this post, although you may not understand the language, I guess you would understand the specs as the numbers are in English.
Is the Legionella the primary reason to keep the boiler above 60°C ?
If we assume there is no risk of Legionella, is it still advised to keep the boiler above 60°C ?

Attachments

• boiler.jpg
    boiler.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 12
in your original post its says the boiler supplies hot water tanks so ther ewould be a legionella risk if you drop the temperature
You are right, but in our region the tap water is heavily regulated and chlorinated as everyone drinks tap water, so there is a very minimal risk of Legionella growth. Our plumber has 40 years of experience in this field and says he always sets the hot water tanks between 40-45°C and has never had an issue with Legionella.
Our main concern here is the longevity of the lifespan of our central heating system and minimizing the maintenance costs.

Last edited:
Fine then take his word for it but you are putting the cost of a boiler against the safety of your 80 tenants, just because it hasn't happened doesn't mean it won't. But if that's the risk you want to take for an unknown versus an unknown it may increase the life of the boiler Ortiz it may not the only known is if you lowere the temperature of the boiler you will save money on gas

Fine then take his word for it but you are putting the cost of a boiler against the safety of your 80 tenants, just because it hasn't happened doesn't mean it won't. But if that's the risk you want to take for an unknown versus an unknown it may increase the life of the boiler Ortiz it may not the only known is if you lowere the temperature of the boiler you will save money on gas
Dabbling with potentially infectious water in your own home is one thing however as soon as the public and customers become victims then legal obligations come into play raising the prospects of criminal
charges and civil litigation against the building owner, operator and engineer. Proper records of adequate inspections and treatments must be maintained. centralheatking

While boiler flue temperatures are indicative of the efficiency of the appliance, stored potable hot water supply should not be altered to gain more efficiency from the boiler.

Storing hot water at 40C - 45C is perfect blooming temperatures for Legionella.
These sorts of temperatures are considered 'warm water systems'.
They, at the minimum, require UV filtration to kill off bacteria.
There's a lot more than that also - just basics posted.

I would get a new Engineer that knows how to operate the system safely.

It would only take one case of a Legionella type symptom occurring in one resident in the building and you would have to go through a complete flushing of the building.

You Stated
"Our main concern here is the longevity of the lifespan of our central heating system and minimizing the maintenance costs."

Get 1 person with 1 symptom of Legionella and every hot water tap in the building will have to be tested weekly or monthly for a period of probably 12 months.

That alone would cost you more than replacing the whole entire Plant for the building.

You really need the services of a qualified consultant to go over your system and implement changes that are required.
With a system of that size, you also need to keep and maintain a Log Book .

chking

Looking over this post we are very carefull regarding Gas and boilers...GSR etc. but also this one highlights just how inexperienced people can 'get themselves into hot water' get my pun, over water issues as well ...the legionella list is endless...started in USA with their retired military at a convention
last big one was in Barrow in zFurness sports centre ...we need to be helpfull and vigillant chking

Thank you for your advice guys, you are right, the main concern should be the safety and health of residents and we will keep our hot water storage tanks above 60°C.

I think that is a very wise decision. Once legionella takes hold in a system, even if nobody gets sick, the monitoring and mitigation procedures can be expensive and time consuming. Also, the first thing that would be required would be to get your stored hot water temperatures back up to 60C+

40 to 45c prime for bacteria.
Do what the lads above have said.
Don't take a chance and penny pinch. Will cost you alot more than just cash if there's an outbreak!
[automerge]1576839054[/automerge]
If you temps have been low I would probably pasturise the tank for abit.

Reply to What is the optimal temperature for boiler ? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

WB 4000 installed a few months back, just balanced the 7 rads - managed to get around 15 degrees delta across most rads. Not quite the 20 degrees but still. Flow set to 60 degrees for now. 1.Obviously I want to ensure the return temperature into the boiler is below the 55 ish degrees needed for...
Replies
Views
Hi, whenever my Gloworm 18r is on even if I leave it on non-stop for 6 hours the flame symbol for the burner never switches off and the radiator icon never stops flashing implying the rads are calling for more heat, even though they're all red hot and have been for hours, is this a fault or just...
Replies
Views
B
Issue with boiler short cycling in system with hot water tank. We have an ideal heating logic heat2 h15 boiler which feeds a hot water tank upstairs in the house. We have an issue where if the boiler isn’t set to 80c then the boiler will short cycle, the hot water tank thermostat is set at...
Replies
Views
Hi, Am trying to understand my mother's Apollo boiler. It has an intermittent fault. In the last couple of years, it has had a new thermocouple, a new "low" stat, and a new pump over-run switch. The RGI was not throwing parts at it, and the replacement of these has solved some problems: I...
Replies
Views
Hi looking for some advice here if anyone would be so kind. Our existing system consists of an Ideal Logic Heat H15 heat only boiler paired to a 180L Kingspan Tribune XE Unvented Indirect Hot Water Cylinder (this is the Dual Stat version). Zone 1 (Downstairs) consists of 7 Radiators + Plumbed...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock