Search the forum,

Discuss water meter continues to run... in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all,

New to the forum and would like to get some advice on something that's got me stumped. My water meter continues to run even when I'm not using water - we're talking just under 400mL of water per 6 hours or so (that's the longest I've managed to go without using water).

I managed to isolate the problem to the hot water system - if I turn off the inlet valve to my storage water heater, the meter stops running.

1. No leaking faucets
2. I got thermal imaging and ultrasound leak detection done by a professional - no concealed pipe leak detected
3. No visible sign of damage in my bathroom or leak from the water heater
4. Despite the running meter, I've had several plumbers/ contractors in for an opinion, and they all said a leak should have been obvious by now.

As a test, I turned the inlet valve off for 24 hours, and as soon as I turned it on, I immediately lost around 360mL of water.

Any ideas what this could be?

1. A leak that ultrasound was not able to pick up (apparently it's extremely sensitive, so I've been told this is not likely)
2. Some kind of weird problem with the storage water heater?

Obviously I would prefer not to have to hack into my bathroom wall unless absolutely necessary. I live in an apartment that is only about 3 years old.

Thanks all!

Any ideas what this could be?

More details about the tank, please. Size? Model? Periods when it is heating. Storage temperature? Your normal pattern of water use?

I wonder whether you are seeing the supply 'topping' up the tank as it cools and the stored water cools (unlikely) and/or a pressure regulating valve that is 'passing' rather than shutting off hard.

More details about the tank, please. Size? Model? Periods when it is heating. Storage temperature? Your normal pattern of water use?

It's a 35L Joven (installed horizontally) - no idea about storage temperature (there is no dial that I can see). I generally only turn on the heater about 10-15minutes prior to a shower and then switch it off when done. The hot water goes to my hand basin and the shower only. I've turned off the hot water supply to the hand basin to make sure I wasn't inadvertently using "hot water" from the tank.

Just to note too - I've checked that there is no drainage from the tank from the pressure valve.

It's a 35L Joven (installed horizontally)
Hmm. The only explanation I can think of that fits everything you've reported is that the Joven (or the outlet pipework has a couple of litres of air trapped in it. I'd rate this only as a 'possible' explanation, not a 'likely' one. Is the tank installed level? Are there any 'dead-legs' in the pipework between the tank and the tap / shower?

Is the tank installed level? Are there any 'dead-legs' in the pipework between the tank and the tap / shower?
As far as I can see it is level. No deadlegs
[automerge]1598270393[/automerge]
Some ideas, you got an overflow running or discharge on cylinder going somewhere.
As far as I can tell - no :(
[automerge]1598270722[/automerge]
The only explanation I can think of that fits everything you've reported is that the Joven (or the outlet pipework has a couple of litres of air trapped in it.

Any suggestions on what I could try to test this out or fix this?

Last edited:
Ok. So you have established that the fault lies downstream of the inlet valve to the cylinder.
Are you certain there is no discharge through the pressure relief valve?
I'm not not familiar with these units to be honest, I believe they're not a UK made product.
Is there an expansion vessel on cold inlet?
How long is the hot water pipework from the unit?

Reply to water meter continues to run... in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I live in Azerbaijan and am looking to revamp the water system in my house. The first thing is that I don't have a water meter - probably a good thing as my mother in law pours tonnes of water on the garden in summer, mostly watering weeds as she can't tell the difference from grass. But the...
Replies
Views
D
I have a hot water slab leak which is found behind my bathroom vanity. We heard the noise for a week but never saw any water. Just today we saw water starting to come up under the vanity. I found the leak, my question is is it ok to run the hot water just long enough to take a shower? Does it...
Replies
Views
drpepper68
D
Some advice please about a really worrying problem. I live in a terraced 2 bed room house. 10 days ago the gas combi boiler stopped heating the radiators but still gave hot water to the shower and taps. Naturally we thought there was a fault with the boiler. We had already arranged a yearly...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I currently have an external water meter (which is a sub-meter) of my neighbours meter. The mains supply runs into their garden and then splits off into my sub-meter. We are planning on building an extension near to the existing external sub-meter and I have sought advice from Yorkshire...
Replies
Views
D
I’m wanting to replace the single handle cartridge on my basement shower since it no longer allows hot water (sink in same bathroom works fine). I have turn off the water main (at the sidewalk), cold water intake to water heater and opened up all other faucets in the house. However, the shower...
Replies
Views
DIYSAM
D
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock