Search the forum,

Discuss Washing Machine Water going into Kitchen Sink (and vice versa) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jonathan88

Hello,

I'm a complete novice when it comes to plumbing related issues so I'd be very grateful for any advice.

I constantly have problems with my kitchen sink draining really slowly, even after it's been checked for a blockage inside and outside of my flat. When my washing machine is on it fills my sink with water, and it seems to make my kitchen sink drain even slower. When I last did a wash there was still some water in the drum.

I removed the kitchen sink trap to clean it. I think I put it back as it was but it seems to have made the problem worse and now my kitchen sink is hardly draining at all.

I removed the washing machine filter to check for blockages and clean it but all the water that was in my kitchen sink started coming out of the washing machine filter hole. So rather than going out the waste pipe it's going out the side nozzle through the grey tube then seemingly into my washing machine. Here's a photo of it: tiikoni.com/tis/view/?id=3dfbd15

Does this look wired properly to you? Any help with what to do would be much appreciated!

cheers.

Welcome to the forums, the image isn`t available please try again.

I'd say it'll either be a blockage further down the line or a pipe with incorrect/no fall

here is the pic [DLMURL]http://www.tiikoni.com/tis/view/image.php?id=3dfbd15[/DLMURL]

Last edited by a moderator:
main problem I can see is that the washing machine waste connection should be angled down to the sink waste not up like you have it

What level is your flat, Ground , First ?

Are ther flats above you?

There is definitely a blockage further away from the sink, either outside the flat or inside depending where the pipe goes.

Thanks for everyone for the replies so far!

steveb I've twisted the nozzle the tube is connected to upwards. Is that what you meant?

So when washing machine water comes into my sink and the kitchen sink water comes out of the I've just twisted upwards, those are both due to a blockage?

My flat is on the ground floor. I rent it and I've been living here for 2 years now. During this time I've had quite a lot of problems with sink not draining, even though I'm really careful with not letting any solids go down the sink. I use a cafetiere to make some coffee each morning and rinse that out down the sink, is that ok?

yes that is what I meant. yes it is due to a blockage. can you see where the other end of the waste pipe comes out?

can you post some more pics of under the cupboard so we can see if there is anything obvious

683.jpg684.jpg685.jpg686.jpg

I've never looked under the cabinet properly before. It's quite a mess, does it look ok/safe?

I did some washing today as I was down to my last pair of boxers! The sink filled more than it normally does, right over the top of the sink and I had to start bailing it out. [DLMURL]https://sendvid.com/agt2gkk7[/DLMURL]

Now we need pictures of the waste pipe where it goes outside.
Does it go into a stack pipe that rises up the building or straight into a gulley in the ground.?

You definitely have a blockage between the sink and the main soil pipe. You should get someone who knows what they are doing in to clear it or if you are careful enough buy a bottle of 1shot which may clear it but read and follow the instructions properly as it is a strong acid.

Our washing machine repair man told me a stinker.

Washing machine and dishwasher plumbed in with waste pipes meeting then going into one pipe to the drain.

Couple of elbows after the trap doesn't look promising for what rest of pipe may look like.
Incorrect fall?, elbows too flat too close together?, seen a couple of stinkers but that is nasty blockage.

Is that an exterior wall? Can you see what's on the other side.
Or is it an interior wall with pipes going down inside a boxed section? e.g. toilet on other side?

The washing machine waste should look more like this.

1472550225913-1901598716.jpg

But the waste should not look like this.

1472550468130-1140620204.jpg

14725505839661113652108.jpg

I didn't do it but I am going to replace it as the sink is slow to drain and most likely muck is building up.

You can't see it in the picture, but that is a internal breeze block wall and to the left is a boxed in soil stack, that is the 4" grey pipe you see sticking up out of most roofs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Washing Machine Water going into Kitchen Sink (and vice versa) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
I have a plumber coming tomorrow to change a cartridge on a badly dripping tap on my bathroom mixer unit. There is no separate isolating valve for this tap so I'll have to close the stopcock. I tried closing it today but it won't go absolutely 100% closed and there is still a very slight flow...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock