Search the forum,

Discuss Vertical column rad supply-return feeds in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

Naphelge

I just bought several vertical column hudson reed rads to install in new hot water heating system. I notice that when I screw the vales to the two lower rad ports that I can look straight thru to the other port. I expected there to be a baffle of sorts directing hot water up thru the crumbs and back down thru return port. If no baffle won't hot water simply flow from feed port to return port and not cycle up thru the rad which has to certain lyrics be the path of greater resistance?

The rads also have two ports up to. One with a bleed valve and the other just simply plugged. I wonder if it might not then be a better idea to remove the threaded slug from the upper port and install either my feed or return valve there, forcing water diagonally thru the radiator helping to ensure top-to-bottom, side-to-side coverage of hot water.

Does anyone have any experience with hudson reed rads? Is it normal to design rads without baffles? I hope I am worrying about nothing here and it is normal and these rads will prove worth the $$$ spent.

Thanks in advance for any help, insight, advice or opinion.

Well that's 2 pages of more info than what HREED sent with the rads. But funny enough, this pdf doc outlining recommended valve position contradicts pictures HREED uses on their website showing the rads installed. In all the images I remember seeing, the rad valves are both located on the two lower outlet ports on the rad. The only variation i can remember registeting is that some pictures show valves terminating thru the wall while others are thru the floor. I will primarily be coming up thru the floor.

But if the feed and supply valves are both installed on the same side that would necessitate that at least one of the valves are fed up thru the wall, or something creative piping performed since the outlet ports on the same side of the rad are directly stacked vertically.

So I wonder what others with more experience think about terminating the valves on opposites sides, top-to-bottom?

Yes needs to be installed top flow bottom return opposite ends

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Vertical column rad supply-return feeds in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Fitting a vertical rad after having hallway replastered and after a bit of digging about online, I have two options for plumbing it in as pipes are easily accessible beside the rad, not been boxed in yet. 1.Plumb it traditionally with flow/return at the bottom, this would require me buying the...
Replies
Views
I'm in a bit of a bind with a current CH install where I need to install a filter prior to a flush but no where to install My issue is the return on the combi (ideal 35) runs directly behind the boiler then up through the ceiling so I have no clearance to even attempt to snake it out to fit a...
Replies
Views
Hi - I'm a reasonably experienced DIY plumber but just can't work out why the last new rad I've installed is cold - would really appreciate your help please. I've extended an existing 'run' of radiators - the last one on the run ( in downstairs kitchen) is cold. The first rad added is...
Replies
Views
Hi All This is following on from thread I made a few days ago but can't seem to find I'm in a bit of a bind with my CH design where I want to sort all of my rads and do some other bits including fitting a filter but I'm stumped on how to drain down due to how the system is put together...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have 3 port value for HW & CH. Loft extension added many years ago so they added a T to go upstairs, only 2 rads up but 11 downstairs covering at leave twice the floor area As per diagram has free flow Up or Down, no way to balance. Works pretty well but last few Rads (in kitchen) are...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock