Vat

Discuss Vat in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

helpsy

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
On the verge of having to register for VAT. Any advice/help would be welcome.

Never EVER go vat registered. Just get a good accountant who can keep you out of it. Or be less honest :)

Yep i would agree wi the lads above, DONT, unless you realy have to

If you are looking to expand your business then you will have to become VAT registered at some point. If you are sticking as a one man band sole trader then try and keep under the VAT threshold if possible

I've never been vat reg,but every tradesman I have spoken to has regretted it.You loose a lot more work when you stick 20% on.If you think your going to hit the threshold of ÂŁ75k(I think) you can start up a second company & run 2 non vat reg companies(so an accountant tells me).

Think you've been given duff info.If it were right every tradesman would run two businesses,one for domestic householder work ie joe public,And the other for sub contact work to builders etc

No vat for Joe vat for builder everyone happy.

When I was VAT registered as a sole trader any business I undertook was liable to VAT although this was a while ago I should imagine things should pretty much the same you cannae beat the system just have to work with it ..brum

I've never been vat reg,but every tradesman I have spoken to has regretted it.You loose a lot more work when you stick 20% on.If you think your going to hit the threshold of ÂŁ75k(I think) you can start up a second company & run 2 non vat reg companies(so an accountant tells me).
Can only be done with separate office, vans, address. Too much hastle.
if you just do servicing, repairs, bathrooms etc. try to keep out of vat. If you do new build and supply materials, your too expensive if your not registered.

I'm vat registered, do a mixture of everything. It's never stopped me getting work. Makes you think if you de registered, you could get away with 20% more labour charge!

Hi Guys , got to say this is a very interesting thread , about a crud subject .It is someting we have been toying with , 3 man op , and it is getting close when being real .

sorry for hijacking .

cheers

Don't understand the resistance to being vat registered. Before we went registered customers would want something off for cash. Now they offer cash to avoid vat so no real chiselling. Obviously this is something we would never entertain.

On the other hand your van gets 20 % better mileage and all those lovely tools are cheaper......

cheaper for you, but your customers dont like the 20% showing on their invoices, me I just took a month off and then you break the rolling turnover for a bit.

If you plan to stay small, then there are a variety of tricks you can use to stay under the thresshold. However, they all say "I am a business that is never going to grow".

If you have aspirations to grow your business, then you don't have to like it, but you have to learn to live with it.

As a one man band you can fend off the beast but anyone employing even a labourer should be smashing the limit unless they are lucky enough to be part time or not charging enough. Domestic customers don't need to see vat breakdown just the value/price of your service. Commercial customers don't care.

If you plan to stay small, then there are a variety of tricks you can use to stay under the thresshold. However, they all say "I am a business that is never going to grow".

If you have aspirations to grow your business, then you don't have to like it, but you have to learn to live with it.

Ray speaks the truth, I personally live well as a one man band, having had the hassle of employees in the passed Im to old to bother with that again. If your going to grow it is just another hurdle to jump through and doing the returns isnt hard, just monotonous, but get it wrong and excitement will follow from various sources.

re domestic customers not having to see vat breakdowns, dont believe everything you read on the web :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys. The threshold is currently ÂŁ81000.

Thing is I reckon 81k is not too hard to reach. Even if you only fit 1 boiler per month, that's about ÂŁ10k already

ITS BASED ON TURNOVER NOT WHAT YOU BUY SO ABOVE IS MORE LIKE ÂŁ25K

That is what got us the turnover bit. With higher end stuff you don't appear very professional asking them to buy the gear. I remember wincing as they picked 400 quid taps and various high priced doo hickeys. At the time I ran a turnover spreadsheet and winced as it inched up , don't forget it is a running 12 months. Once I had a partner in the business the spreadsheet was moot.

its turnover so everything that comes in counts one vailant a week is 52k
ive been in and out of vat over the years since it started mainly voluntary registration when it was needed at one time new heating systems were zero rated so was a necessary and on the few occasions i bought high priced vans registered for the minimum period and then deregistered not sure you would get away with it now but since i bought a van forÂŁ600 today its not going to break the bank

I'm going to look into doing a business course next year. I'm pretty clueless tbh on starting a business :(

I'm going to look into doing a business course next year. I'm pretty clueless tbh on starting a business :(

I have just started up on my own 6months ago and felt the same at the beginning, but started to get there now. Biggest advice I would give is get decent accountant. Saved me more money than he costs already and is very helpful if I'm not sure of anything. Keeping good books aswell makes it cheaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Vat in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi Folks, advice needed here... I am a 51 yr old leak detection engineer/plumber 2 years into self employment which i am loving. To get going I bought a 61 plate transit which has been great but is now off the road for a few weeks at least - which now that i am established and making decent...
Replies
Views
DIY air conditioning system. I've got lots of plumbing experience and want to install my own a/c split system 3 to 1. I intend having it commissioned by an F Gas qualified company. When l tried to buy the system the supplier want all details of the F Gas registered 'installer' before releasing...
Replies
Views
G
I recently had a service on my worcester bosch boiler by Warmserve supposedly reputable which is under guarantee and before the service I had no problems but straight after the service I had a leak from the boiler which when the service engineer came back told me I needed a new condensate trap...
Replies
Views
My daughter lives alone in a 3 bed semi in the west country. The house is 20 years old. The central heating and hot water are provided from a Glow-worm gas boiler working in conjunction with a Boilermate 2000. The central heating pipework is microbore. In view of the age of the boiler and...
Replies
Views
[url=https://www.plumbersforums.net/plumbing-news/welcome-to-plumbing-forum/]Continue reading...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock