Search the forum,

Discuss Vaillant EcoTec Plus in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi Everyone.

I am hoping that someone could help me with a problem I have with a Vaillant Eco Tec Plus, that was fitted last year in March. When it was first fitted I noticed that it took more than 30 minutes for our radiators, to get warm, our old boiler would heat it in about 10 minutes. I phoned Vaillant and spoke to an adviser. He asked how many radiators I had, which is 7. He told me to go into the settings, telling me what buttons to press. I came to a screen that either said 35 or 37 and may have had a W by the number. He said it was to high and told me how to lower it. As far as I can remember he got me to lower it to about 14. This worked and my radiator heated up quick. The heating was not used in the Summer but when it got cold and I turned the heating on, it would not work. I noticed that the screen was flashing as there was no water pressure. I filled up between the lines and started the boiler. I started to get a knocking noise in the pipes under my Bedroom floor. The boiler itself makes no tapping or knocking noise and I have held the pipes at the boiler but as I cant feel anything, I presume its air. I have been able to get a bit of air out at the rads but it still knocks / fast taps a lot . I have phoned Vaillant to try and get information on how to change the setting back in case it pushers the air to the rads, but all they will say is that the adviser I spoke to should not have told to change it and they will not tell me how to put it back. I have argued with them a few times saying it was Vaillant who told me to change the settings. They said that they would send someone out but would charge me. The people who fitted it said they would also charge if they came out. What was the setting I was told change, what did it do and should it be put back. Could this setting be anything to do with not being able to get the air to move to the rads?

Thank you

Just do a factory reset of the boiler and then reconfigure it to your system. Did the advice from Vaillant involve accessing “advanced settings” - if they advised this, you would have needed to accessed a settings menu that required an access code. Having said that a factory reset will put all the settings back to “as delivered”.

There are no W coded numbers in the Vaillant software, they are either F, S or D ( unless others on here know otherwise?)

From your observations above, I don’t believe that the primary issue is your boiler. However, your comments would perhaps indicate that your boiler is oversized for your system. Which model Ecotec Plus do you have and what boiler did it supersede? i assume that the Ecotec is a combi for hot water?

If the boiler is oversized and your system cannot accommodate the heat delivered at the boiler’s lowest modulation, the boiler will cycle and demonstrate the exact conditions you describe (long heat up time) - Boiler cycling, due to high return flow temperature, giving a prolonged heat up time.

Last edited:
You should've spoken to the installer first time around with your initial inquiry and asked him to explain things a little better, the commisioning process does insist on this. Get the installer back and pay him, if you were my client and you were ill advised even by Vaillant themselves you're essentially asking to reset/repair your system and I'd have to charge for my time.

Last edited:
You should've spoken to the installer first time around with your initial inquiry and asked him to explain things a little better, the commisioning process does insist on this. Get the installer back and pay him, if you were my client and you were ill advised even by Vaillant themselves you're essentially asking to reset/repair your system and I'd have to charge for my time.
This was fitted March 2019 so it’s less than 1 year ...we would go back and have a look for free...and then decide what to do next. Centralheatking

Could this setting be anything to do with not being able to get the air to move to the rads?
No. From your description, the original adviser talked you through reducing the max output power from 37kW to 14kW, which is about what needs to be if you only have 7 radiators. What you did was perfectly reasonable, i.e. called Vaillant and followed their engineer's instructions, which fixed the problem.

Your current problem, loss of pressure over the summer and now knocking noises, is IMO unrelated to the above so don't let it muddy the waters.

What does this knocking sound like exactly? Could it be straightforward expansion noise due to a pipe rubbing against something?
[automerge]1579695034[/automerge]
This was fitted March 2019 so it’s less than 1 year ...we would go back and have a look for free...and then decide what to do next. Centralheatking
Your company would have commissioned it correctly in the first place...

I think its a pressure loss issue, it’s unclear if this was a whole new system or boiler change. No one will guarantee an existing system whom is a heating engineer. OP states no water pressure so was he told to re pressure , did he anyway more info needed here CHKing
It is possible to ensure almost anything inc. CH but be carefull of the exclusions and premium

Reply to Vaillant EcoTec Plus in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
Hi they used to say as a last resort you could discharge the D2 pipework at high level and turn it back to the wall. Similar to a combi boiler. I have just looked back through the regs this seems to have changed and it isn't mentioned now. It now mentions if at high level it should be discharged...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock