Search the forum,

Discuss Underfloor heating, no gas and big boiler - what is this? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello everybody,
I’ll need your help! I’ve no experience on this matter...
I’m about to buy a flat that has underfloor heating. The flat has no gas and the only source of heating, as far as the agent knows, is what looks like to be a big boiler in the picture. There is a thermostat on the wall in each room. Is anyone able to tell me a bit more from the picture about the system?

thanks,
Ale
1E7E56B0-D407-4B93-B931-66894EFFF119.jpeg

Hello everybody,
I’m about to buy a flat that has underfloor heating. The flat has no gas and the only source of heating, as far as the agent knows, is what looks like to be a big boiler in the picture. There is a thermostat on the wall in each room. Is anyone able to tell me a bit more from the picture about the system?

thanks,
AleView attachment 41991
That's not a boiler, it's a mains-pressure hot water cylinder, with 2 electric immersion heaters. My guess is the underfloor heating is also electric, with thermostat for each room.
But it's no good the agent saying "as far as he knows". It's up to him to find out, eg from the vendor.

That's not a boiler, it's a mains-pressure hot water cylinder, with 2 electric immersion heaters. My guess is the underfloor heating is also electric, with thermostat for each room.
But it's no good the agent saying "as far as he knows". It's up to him to find out, eg from the vendor.

thanks Fixitflav.
This is what I think too. I couldnt see any other source of hot water in the flat and I don’t think there is a central heating system. I already enquired with the agent but he’s useless.

are electric underfloor heating systems very expensive to run?
This is a picture of the thermostat if it helps. There is one in each room. Also, there is no underfloor hearing in the bathroom. Could it mean that it’s electric (no electric heating in bathroom for H&S)?!

Attachments

• F25C15B3-B6E7-4D97-B4FC-54DD586CF24D.jpeg
    F25C15B3-B6E7-4D97-B4FC-54DD586CF24D.jpeg
    73.5 KB · Views: 12
All electric. Not a problem, but can be very expensive to run as the primary heat source. T the moment on a kw gross comparison wholesale electricity (kw g) is five times the price of gas (kw g). Sadly though an increasing number of new build flats are gas free

thanks Fixitflav.
This is what I think too. I couldnt see any other source of hot water in the flat and I don’t think there is a central heating system. I already enquired with the agent but he’s useless.

are electric underfloor heating systems very expensive to run?
This is a picture of the thermostat if it helps. There is one in each room. Also, there is no underfloor hearing in the bathroom. Could it mean that it’s electric (no electric heating in bathroom for H&S)?!
You're right, it's likely to be expensive to run, but you haven't much choice if you want to be warm. Need to use it sparingly!

Do you have a Hi/Lo (off-peak) electric meter? I've never had UFH, but maybe it can store some heat so it would pay to run it at night and as little as possible during the day, preferably via a programmer. But need to check your tariff. My current supplier charges same for Hi and Lo, but some have lower price for night usage.

Hello everybody,

thanks,
AleView attachment 41991
I am a part time surveyor because I am too broken to carry on in plumbing and heating. Quite simply its not good enough for you to buy this place without adequate understanding. Now if its for you delve deeper if its a rental then your tenant will pick up the utility. Apart from liquified gas in bottles the type of heating you describe is really quite expensive to run unless this is a modern building with complete insulation. So ..how old, and talk to your potential neighbours see what they think...also beware as it will be a leasehold and with service charges ...a bit outside the scope of PF but very relevant.
centralheatking

I am a part time surveyor because I am too broken to carry on in plumbing and heating. Quite simply its not good enough for you to buy this place without adequate understanding. Now if its for you delve deeper if its a rental then your tenant will pick up the utility. Apart from liquified gas in bottles the type of heating you describe is really quite expensive to run unless this is a modern building with complete insulation. So ..how old, and talk to your potential neighbours see what they think...also beware as it will be a leasehold and with service charges ...a bit outside the scope of PF but very relevant.
centralheatking

Hi,

the building is relatively recent, completed in 2003, leasehold with a reasonable service charge (£1k pa). I’m still waiting for the agent to come back to me with more info..

Reply to Underfloor heating, no gas and big boiler - what is this? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock