Search the forum,

Discuss Trainee breakdown engineer - Essex (help needed, quick) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

I know as much as anyone how difficult it is finding a way to gain experience in this industry. My background is fires and fireplaces but I find the work slowing down and want to change over to boiler servicing and breakdowns (ideally contract work)

I live in Upminster and my ideal situation is to work with a company whilst I learn the ropes for breakdowns. I fully understand how to service but lack any experience in breakdowns and this holds me back on getting any sort of contract work.

Any help or advise would be much appreciated as I am close to having to give up on gas and go back to a sales job (last resort, but not far away)

Many thanks,
James

I have done some courses at Worcester, baxi and ideal but to be honest, without doing it regularly it soon slips out of your mind. But even though I have done those courses, most companies demand min 3 years experience in boiler breakdown (which comes with tests and assessments on site), and I just don't have that so I'm really stuck on where to go from here

I'm on the same boat as you mate. Currently a servicing engineer but looking to build knowledge on Repair/Breakdowns but my Employer won't provide me with the Training so I'm stuck on servicing.
I'd be happy to move to another company who will help train me up in Lanarkshire, Scotland but it's very difficult as people want the experience but not willing to provide it

Do all the free courses you can. Do some paid ones.
Learn the boiler firing sequence.

I would have thought there would have been plenty of companies in your area that would take on a ready qualified GS engineer.

I couldn't agree more with what @chris watkins said. I have said it myself to those I have helped along the way. The best way is to fully understand how the thing works first. Then you should start to recognise when it goes wrong, what might be causing it.
Another thing that helps is to get hold of an old combi boiler and strip it. Strip the parts too.

I couldn't agree more with what @chris watkins said. I have said it myself to those I have helped along the way. The best way is to fully understand how the thing works first. Then you should start to recognise when it goes wrong, what might be causing it.
Another thing that helps is to get hold of an old combi boiler and strip it. Strip the parts too.

Also Learn using a multimeter from stripping down, so you get used to testing components when there is no live feed. You’re looking for resistance values on a lot of things, then call the manufacturer or visit their website for the values they should be. Also if you can maybe get on a safe isolation course if it’s not taught in your manufacturer’s training.

Reply to Trainee breakdown engineer - Essex (help needed, quick) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock