Search the forum,

Discuss Tips and tricks with heavy boilers in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all,

I’m currently building my portfolio which is going great. I have a fantastic mentor too.

Today’s install was a boiler in the loft. If you’re working on your own, how do you manage getting boilers into the loft? I know a bit of muscle but...

I was just wondering if there’ any lifting gear or something to perhaps winch the appliance into the loft?

I’ve slipped two discs, twice, not wanting a 3rd time...Also wouldn’t want to risk damaging the appliance

Simple I never ever fit a boiler in a loft point blank refuse, why would you put it there the coldest harshest environment in the home it's dirty dusty you cannot see what the boiler doing adjust the temperatures, one of us has to come into the personal space for service and break down more than likely in winter wet and grubby access it through a loft hatch lug all your tools and service equipment up there no mate take a bit of advice for a old dog don't do it there's always a alternative, best bit of kit you can buy is a hop up this enables you to have two goes at getting the boiler hung, cheers kop

Last edited:
If your back is that bad, you’re totally in the wrong trade. It’s not just the heavy lifting, it’s the awkward positions you have to constantly work in.
That's right.
The job description should contain words like, 'acrobatic contortionist with immense strength, night vision and huge brain, required to deal with every possible scenario imaginable to mankind in any given position'.
As a start anyway!

1. Don't pass out.
2.Don't miss your step when taking an old cast iron one of the wall, they have a tendency to pin you to the floor or the first wall you fall against.
3.Don't drop it.
4. Make sure it hooks onto the wall mounting brackets first time.
I'm sure there's more but that's all that comes to mind at the moment.

If you’re working on your own, how do you manage getting boilers into the loft?

You don't. Get someone properly trained to help and use the correct lifting equipment in the correct way. Ask your mentor about the Health and Safety At Work Act. It creates duties for employers, employees and the self-employed.

Please don't cut corners with this stuff. Your back has already been damaged, you've had your warning. You are just one bad lift away from being off work permanently and living on benefits.

Work safe!

Think your self lucky , when I started boilers were all cast iron, BB units, Floor standing and wall mount, no such thing as a light boiler back then, but to put one in a loft (Only place ?) is a 2 man job, unless its a intergas then you will need a hoist.

TBH with 2 blokes it’s easy. One at the top of the ladder, the one at the bottom picks the boiler up, slide it up the ladder. Then the other bloke on top grabs the boiler by the flue hole. Then the two of you just man handle it up there.
I’ve done a Duo-Tec by myself a few times. That’s a silly thing to do! Just get an able fella to help you for 10mins

Reply to Tips and tricks with heavy boilers in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Scenario: 3 Bedroom 1970’s bungalow 110m2 - off gas main. Run as self catering holiday let in South Devon. Suspended timber floor. Loft well insulated following referb in 2010 with certificate. Unknown if wall cavity insulated Oil Worcester Heatslave 15/19 combi approximately 10-15 years old 10...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock