Search the forum,

Discuss Tiny red leaver leaking under sink in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
O

Optiv

As the title might suggest, I know diddly squat about plumbing.
Under my kitchen sink, where the main water valve is located, there is a grey plastic pipe connected to one of the metal pipes. This pipe has a small plastic nut and leaver (red) on it which started leaking tonight.
I turned on a tap in the bathroom to see what would happen and it stopped the leak - 4 hours later and still no leak from this nut/leaver.

It's got a me a bit worried though as I'm currently broke and without any knowledge of plumbing.
I think the plastic tube is going off into the washing machine, but I might be wrong, and the water is cold.
The only other thing which might be worth mentioning is that I hardly ever use the hot water at this property.

Thank you in advance. :)

Sounds like a washing machine isolation valve. The rubber washer may be on its last legs, Isolate replace washer and tighten back up.

Thanks for the help, Winston.

Question: In the meantime, to stop it leaking, what direction do I turn the small leaver (if that's even going to help it) as it's rather stiff and I don't want to aggravate things further?

If you turn lever across pipe/fitting it will be in off position

just try tightening the plastic nut that is leaking to see if loose
Get a tea towel and twist nut clockwise ,same way as if you were closing a tap,should stop leaking if hand tight,if not as Winston says,new washer

If in doubt call a local plumber I often do this stuff foc for oaps or ÂŁ20 otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Tiny red leaver leaking under sink in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Morning, Moved house a few months ago and first issue is having a slight leak on tap in kitchen. Went under sink to turn off water and there are four valves I can see as per attached photos. Tried turning all clockwise 90 degrees as per usual but water still coming out of tap. Am I missing...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Hi, I am probably being unduly paranoid here but I noticed under our kitchen sink that there is some corrosion evident on a small section of copper pipe between compression fittings on the hot water feed. There are take offs for an outside hot and cold tap together with isolation valves and...
Replies
Views
Where and how does the water supply work and is there only one rising main pipe and where is it usually located? I am top floor flat, mains fed supply and all 6 in the block have a shared rising main pipe (I think unless there is meant to be more than one). Kitchen: From the ground floor to...
Replies
Views
I live in an apartment block where generally hot water is supplied from the communal hot water cylinder and cold water to bathrooms is supplied from cold water tanks in the loft. It is a vented system. However, in a basement flat and a ground floor flat cold water supply to bathrooms is...
Replies
Views
I had an outside tap fitted by a professional plumber last autumn. During the recent cold weather the feed pipe under the kitchen sink froze and the compression joint where the pipe enters an isolation valve now leaks. The outside tap was covered for the winter by an insulating blanket. I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock