Search the forum,

Discuss Thermostat or zone valve issue? in the Plumbing Zone area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi,

Last week my central heating developed an issue and I’m struggling to figure out what has caused it. I have a combi boiler with 2 digital thermostats, one in the lounge, the other upstairs main bedroom.

I have a fairly decent knowledge of plumbing and heating but From Last week the when calling for heat, the downstairs stat wouldn’t get the boiler to fire up. The only way I can get the boiler to fire is by having the upstairs stat calling for heat. Now this is where it gets confusing for me. Both stats seem to be controlling there zone valves and they appear to open & close as you’d expect when calling for heat or not. As long as the upstairs stat is calling for heat the downstairs heating works fine and as you’d expect. To the extent that once downstairs has reached the required temperature on the stat it will then turn downstairs heating off.

From the above I’d come to the conclusion that I had a dodgy stat downstairs. I thought before buying a new one, as I can remove my stats from there back plate I would plug the upstairs one in downstairs and expected it to work but it didn’t! This has now left me at a dead end as to what to look at next. Is it possible that the Downstairs stat works to an extent that it can control the valve as it should but for some other reason it can’t ask the boiler to fire up? I don’t know enough about stats and the differences between opening zone valves and asking the boiler to fire. Where does the demand come from to the boiler to ask it to fire, is it the stat or the valve?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

The stat(s) open/shut the valves, the valve actuators control the boiler ie there is a "end switch" in the actuator one side of which is permanently live so when the actuator/valve opens then this end switch closes and fires up the boiler. From what you are saying it looks like that the permanent supply to the D/stairs switch might be "broken" even though the valve is opening/closing. I think the grey wire is permanently live to the switch and the orange wire completes the circuit to the boiler, when closed.

Last edited:
As above the downstairs zone valve head is most likely at fault. Either a permanent live is missing like john said or the end switch is faulty like Shaun said.

Thanks for you input. With it sounding like it’s the valve head I can replace without the need to drain down can’t I? Just a case of removing the broken one and install the new one while leaving the existing valve in place?

Reply to Thermostat or zone valve issue? in the Plumbing Zone area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

New built home. Has a combi on a 2 heating zones. The issue boiler located inside garage has a frost stat and a status ct100 pipe stat. The boiler is running through the night and the radiator on the 2nd zone that room is roasting hot. Any suggestions? The pipe stat is on 40 degrees can this...
Replies
Views
H
Wishing everyone on tgmhis forum a very happy Christmas!! I am working on a combi boiler which has problem with heating only. Water is heating normally. Here are the symptoms 1. Signal from thermostat is not firing the boiler. It does not make any sound when heating is on from thermostat. 2...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Have a sytem boiler with unvented cylinder with 2 heating zones plus hot water in a house we moved into recently. To start with we were always amazed at the water pressure so on the odd occasion that the water was only luke warm it was easily forgiven, but over time we have come to realise that...
Replies
Views
A
I have a greenstar 35cdi combi boiler that when the thermostat calls for heat. It will fire up heat to temp and then drop down to 41* on the boiler display and then kick back in again. I have checked all wiring and the zone valves. What else could it be? anyone seen this before
Replies
Views
Nicholas
N
I have an older gas boiler HW heating system with a taco circulator pump for each zone that worked fine last season. When turning it on for the 1st time this season I found a problem with the boiler not running on one of the zones. If I turn on the heat to zone 1 I hear the system...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock