Search the forum,

Discuss Thermostat and valves configuration seems odd in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

We’ve just moving to a new house. I’m puzzled with the central heating system and its controls. None of the downstairs radiators have thermostatic valves fitted, all of the upstairs rads do. There is a thermostat in the hall which it seems controls all the heating ? So the only way of controlling the rooms downstairs is to turn off each radiator valve. Like wise you can only have the rads on upstairs if the downstairs thermostat is on. Is this a usual sort of arrangement! Hope this doesn’t seem too stupid a question!

You’ve just got one zone on your heating, so yeh the thermostat in the hall will control all your radiators on demand an then the previous owners have just put thermostats on the upstairs rads to possibly just control different bedroom temps individually, not uncommon a lot of houses I work in have just the odd room with a thermostatic radiator valve. If you wanted more control you could put thermostatic valves on your downstairs aswell or depending on pipework layout add another zone valve to control downstairs independently of upstairs

I have a similar system and I have TRVs on all rads bar two (which are full open) which heat a combined dining room/lounge but I also have the room stat inside in this combined room and am quite happy with it.

None of the downstairs radiators have thermostatic valves fitted, all of the upstairs rads do.
Use the hall thermostat to keep the living rooms comfortable, perhaps 18 degrees if you are young and active, 21 degrees if you are elderly and inactive. Use the TRVs to keep the bedrooms two or three degrees cooler. Get a feel for the place this winter/spring and then decide whether you want to invest in more sophisticated controls, which you can get installed when the warmer weather is here.

I relocated mine from the hall as I found the hall temperature was fluctuating when front door was opened as I don't have a porch/hallway and fitted a TRV to the hall rad, I find its present location very satisfactory. I recently also re located a relation's hall stat to a more representative location and they also find this more satisfactory, this heating has three zone control.

Reply to Thermostat and valves configuration seems odd in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, whenever my Gloworm 18r is on even if I leave it on non-stop for 6 hours the flame symbol for the burner never switches off and the radiator icon never stops flashing implying the rads are calling for more heat, even though they're all red hot and have been for hours, is this a fault or just...
Replies
Views
I am trying to workout in what order my radiators heat up in order to then balance them. I am able to figure out which radiator pipe is the flow/return on each radiator so that I can then grab the right pipe to check which heats up first. There has been an extension done on this house at some...
Replies
Views
I have a home with an oil boiler in a garage turned into a flat, heating both flat and main house, running c plan with two pumps, two motorised valves simple bi-metal thermostat on wall in flat with 4 standard TRV's rarely used so not worried about the flat, and main house has Nest Gen 3 in the...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Have a sytem boiler with unvented cylinder with 2 heating zones plus hot water in a house we moved into recently. To start with we were always amazed at the water pressure so on the odd occasion that the water was only luke warm it was easily forgiven, but over time we have come to realise that...
Replies
Views
S
  • Question
Hi guys. I moved into my house in the summer and have only just started to use the heating recently as the weather gets colder. The way my central heating is set up seems a little strange. I have a combi boiler that has the heating split into 2 zones with zone valves. Each zone controlled by...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock