Search the forum,

Discuss Temperature of circulating coolant what difference does it make? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

mgw

Clearly if not hot enough the house will not get warm enough. However had some problems with my oil water heater for central heating and domestic hot water not lighting, the engineer came and adjusted electrodes, and now seems OK, but at same time he turned up the temperature of the water a bit, it now seems to have a more regular cycle, but that may be because the weather has improved.

With a modulating heater I know the water temperature is increased or reduced to suit the output required, but I am sure this unit has a fixed output, so clearly the idea in spite of the name given to these heaters being boiler, is it does not boil the water, and the water is heated to some where I suspect between 50°C and 80°C and circulated around the radiators, but not sure if the water temperature actually changes radiator temperature, or if the TRV will adjust water flow so in real terms radiator stays at same temperature?

If the radiators get hotter will that increase the thermals in the room? so on temperature charge when the TRV schedule lifts temperature will hotter circulating water start the air thermals faster.

So what setting is best?

Basically, the hotter the water the greater heat output of the radiator.

Outdoor compensators are fitted to boilers to reduce the temperature of the water the boiler heats the water to.
If it's 15C outside and you want 21C inside, the boiler may only heat the water to 50C instead of 75C.
The radiators won't be as warm, but they will heat the room to the desired temperature or maintain the room to the requested temperature.
The TRV's will operate the same no matter what the water temperature is, they operate on room temperature.

I stand to be corrected, oil boilers don't modulate.
They operate on / off.
You can set the temperature that the boiler activates the burner and deactivates the burner.
eg: Heat the water up to 75C and not activate the burner until the temperature drops to 60C.

Hope this helps

Basically, the hotter the water the greater heat output of the radiator.

Outdoor compensators are fitted to boilers to reduce the temperature of the water the boiler heats the water to.
If it's 15C outside and you want 21C inside, the boiler may only heat the water to 50C instead of 75C.
The radiators won't be as warm, but they will heat the room to the desired temperature or maintain the room to the requested temperature.
The TRV's will operate the same no matter what the water temperature is, they operate on room temperature.

I stand to be corrected, oil boilers don't modulate.
They operate on / off.
You can set the temperature that the boiler activates the burner and deactivates the burner.
eg: Heat the water up to 75C and not activate the burner until the temperature drops to 60C.

Hope this helps

Just to add there are some modulating oil burners out there, not just 2 or 3 stage. Elco burners have one and other technology is moving things forward with other burners. Yours however i suspect is a fixed rate burner.

Good point so the temperature is point when boiler switches off, does not mean that is at that temperature all the time, so in real terms the point when boiler switches back on is more important, but is that not the same control?

It is of course clear that the hotter the radiator the more heat it can put into the room, but what I was wondering is how the boiler, pipe work, and radiator temperatures effects the air thermals and so heating of the room?

We have all seen the diagram circulation.jpgbut in real terms in my main room I have two radiators at 90º to each other so that simply diagram does not work, and I know placing a thermometer around the room you can get 5ºC difference even at same height from floor, this is not all bad, as it means the air around windows can be colder than air around the chairs, and I am not that worried about air I walk through, more interested in air temperature when seated.

Under the window seems a daft place for a radiator, cooling the air before it does anything, but it is easy to work out how water goes from boiler (although at home they don't boil the water, only do that at work) and around the radiators, but how it goes from radiator into the room is harder for me to under stand.

So at the side of the radiator I have a TRV at the moment it shows 18ºC, and three meters away on a chest of draws I have a thermometer which shows 18.2º so clearly the TRV is doing it's job in this room. Some of my TRV transmit both current and target, but in this room a cheap one (£15) and it only shows the target.

At the moment all the expensive TRV heads are showing the current and target within 1ºC of each other, however as the schedule sets a temperature change then clearly the two part and it takes time for the new temperature to be achieved, either cooling or heating, not really interested in cooling, just the slower the better, but heating is what I am interested in.

So boiler set to minimum temperature house still stays warm, and even at maximum the anti hysteresis software in the TRV heads limits how fast any room can heat up, so in real terms no point setting to maximum, so I as I have just done I press the eco/comfort button on the TRV head then the now cold radiator will heat up next time boiler turns on or pump circulates already hot water, and the room will heat up, speed has a number of limiting factors, starting with temperature of water, then how much water in the radiator, I noted Myson fan assisted radiators heated up very fast, colour of the radiator again inside the Myson the matrix is black, and how fast thermals distribute the heat, and at what point the TRV starts to close again to reduce the hysteresis.

I am told the Drayton Wiser TRV head actually learns the time taken and adjusts to suit, but my heads are not that cleaver, at least I don't think so, the computer linked Energenie heads have got twin sensors so compensate for radiator direct heat, the eqiva eQ-3 can have an off-set set, but are much cheaper, but do have open window detection and a built in display, can set with phone, but once set use the buttons on the top.

My hall is the big problem, tends to over shoot, and the wall thermostat is in the hall, at about centre of house, and between four doors and a stair case, so most likely place to record average house temperature if doors open, but the radiator is two doors away from it, and tends to always show cooler than the wall thermostat.

So at moment wall thermostat shows target 20ºC current 20.5ºC so boiler is off, TRV shows target 20ºC and current 19ºC and using a thermometer both devices seem reasonably accurate there is a temperature gradient in the hall. OK if cold I can easy turn up wall thermostat, or move setting of hall TRV down a degree, but clearly the reason why no heating on at the moment is down to air movement which is likely affected by radiator temperature when it is allowing some flow.

So I have a number of controls, the TRV, the lock shield valve, the boiler temperature and the setting of the Nest thermostat. I am trying to get it into my head what does what, I tried linking the wall thermostat and TRV head, theory the TRV head should follow Nest, practice if I use the phone app to alter nest the TRV head does follow, but if a schedule or turning dial alters the Nest temperature the TRV head does not follow, so removed the link and set schedule to match each other, well not quite, morning TRV head goes to 20ºC but Nest goes to 18.5ºC then 0.5ºC per hour until at 20ºC as it tends to over shoot then turn off, and while hall is cooling other rooms are cooling faster so get cold.
[automerge]1583498477[/automerge]
Just to add there are some modulating oil burners out there, not just 2 or 3 stage. Elco burners have one and other technology is moving things forward with other burners. Yours however i suspect is a fixed rate burner.
Reasonably sure fixed rate burner, mothers house had modulating gas, but our old house the boiler was also fixed rate gas, and likely this house main problem is over shooting or hysteresis. First fitted the programmable TRV heads in my mothers old house with a modulating boiler, and they took a little setting up to start with, adjusting the lock shield valves, in the main problem was TRV was on return, but once set it worked really well, I was very impressed, only had 4 programmable heads in that house, so when I came here I put old wax heads back on in her house and brought the electronic heads here. Then added a further 5 cheap eqiva eQ-3 bluetooth heads as well, if anything the eQ-3 work better.

But think circulation of air is the main problem, and to cure, first stage is to understand what is happening, hence the question on how water temperature affects things. Not simple if not hot enough house will not heat up enough that's easy, but if you turn it up higher how will that affect the heating of the home, clearly if when you turn it up the TRV auto compensates and turns down the flow, then no point turning it up.

But I am an electrical engineer not a heating engineer so asking those who know.

Last edited:
I'm an oil engineer, a young one at that, the plumbing side is not something I do, nor interested in to be honest and I have no experience with these Nest units as that side is left to installers.
Radiators work by a rad/room differential, a delta T. Most radiators these days are Delta T 50, meaning they're working at 100% output when the radiator and room differential is 50°C. So if you require a room temperature of say 20°C then the average radiator temperature should 70°C, this means your flow temp from heat source will need to be slightly higher than that. As that flow temperature drops then radiator output wont be as high, say 95% of stated Watt output. The TRV's simply open and close when they sense the room is at required temperature.
Like I said I'm not experienced with your overall setup so cant really comment much further. There are a number people on here however that are highly experienced and hopefully they'll come along soon.

Thank you @SJB060685 did not know radiator designed to have a 50°C differential however since TRV's gradually open and close, and radiators are trimmed using the lock shield valve not really sure that helps, as I understand it Delta T refers to water temperature so if the water in is at 70°C and water out at 55°C so standard 15°C drop across the radiator however all the videos seem to be measuring air temperature not water temperature, with a Myson fan assisted radiator that would be easy enough, all air is drawn through the radiator, and air speed is fast enough so being 1 mm from output grill or 10 mm from output grill would make no real difference, but with a standard double panel radiator measuring output temperature would be hard, as it would depend how close to the metal of the radiator. I would guess one could assume an average of input and outlet temperature of water, but I am sure the hot water goes to top and cooled water out of bottom so not sure if that is valid.

But can't see how this helps working out how to distribute hot air, I would guess looking at ceiling height so as air leaves radiator it reaches the ceiling and as air is removed from floor it will suck air from ceiling to replace it, but does it really cover the whole room or could we get this circulation3.jpgspeed matters, and as the radiator is only heated to 30°C as room heats up will the air actually circulate over the whole room, or just close to the radiator, I don't know the answer, with cooling we actually pump the air around, so we are not relying on thermals, even putting the radiator into a box and using the chimney effect one could measure air speed and true differential. But I assume we call them radiators as they radiate heat as well as the direct contact with air.

I look at work with Santa special and other winter events on how fast the boiler can heat carriages with such small heaters, no fans, just a radiator total loss system, steam in at around 150°C and out I would guess at around 100°C so still 50°C differential from a boiler, and this time I mean boiler not water heater, and the ambiance is great the whole carriage enveloped in wet steam, problem is when steam engine breaks down, as no steam from Diesel engine. But in spite of open doors and air all around the carriage when pulled with a steam engine whole carriage is warm.

However don't really want steam at 130 psi and 150°C being pumped around my house, I want a radiator that will not burn me when I touch it, and a boiler that actually only heats the water and does not actually boil it, and not needing a treatment plant to treat all the water, or 10 year boiler inspection.

So back to real world, what does the temperature of the boiler control in real terms do?

The boiler thermostat just governs the temperature of water leaving the appliance, there should also be a high limit thermostat to prevent temperatures reaching boiling point. Clearly we do not want that.
The radiator actually transfers most of its heat through convection and is heating up the air which becomes less dense and rises, the cooler more dense air then falls and you have this constant thermal cycle.

So back to real world, what does the temperature of the boiler control in real terms do?

It controls the maximum flow temperature out of the boiler. When the system is relatively cold, such as when the thermostat first cuts in and the water is around 20C, the output temperature may only be 30 or 40C, depending on the wattage and the flow rate. As the system warms up, the output temperature will increase. When it hits the max temperature the boiler will cut out. Sadly this often before the thermostat stops calling for heat.

Before you start to to look at thermal flows in specific areas take a detailed look at your installed system.

Check each room for the required design thermal output and compare it with what is installed.

Then try to map out the pipework routing and sizes ( your answer won’t be complete -unless all the pipe work is exposed). Then check that the pipework sizing is adequate for the thermal loading required.

Once you a satisfied that the hydraulic design of the installation is ok - check the boiler sizing - then and only then look at the control system.

If the hydraulic design of the system is inadequate - then the boiler performance will be compromised and the control system then requires some real thought to try to compensate.

As a very quick starter - if you can see a lot of very long runs of 15mm pipe - that is the first clue to look hard that hydraulic system design.

The issues you are describing point in the direction of poor system design rather than boiler performance

As a very quick starter - if you can see a lot of very long runs of 15mm pipe - that is the first clue to look hard that hydraulic system design.
I will be OK then it's all 12 mm, joking aside yes I am sure there are problems with the hydraulic system design, however it works, heating from cold not too good, but I can cheat, with 11 rooms I don't need all heating all of the time, in all 15 radiators, 4 on one pump, 10 on other pump, one thermosyphon, plus DHW is thermosyphon. The group of 4 rarely turned on, thermosyphon one no control (bathroom) the shower room simple liquid TRV head, so 9 with programmable TRV heads so can select what order rooms are heated. It took some time to adjust all lock shield valves, but now I am sitting in a room where the thermometer shows 18.2°C and the target on the TRV head is 18°C so no real complaint.

However did have a problem with boiler locking out, so called local oil heating engineer who adjusted the electrodes which seems to have cured the problem, and at the same time he also turned up the dial controlling circulating coolant (water inhibitor mix) temperature, and out of interest wondered how this affects the way the house is heated?

I had left it low as that also means DHW is cooler, clearly if radiators are not heating the rooms fast enough and are at full temperature then it would need turning up, but radiators are rarely at full temperature normally the TRV heads has throttled back and radiators no where near max temp.

You had better be sure the the DHW cylinder is maintained a 65C.
Legionella protection!!!

So what ever you do with the heating system water temperature, it better be governed by the cylinder temperature.
Minimum standards the cylinder should be heated to 65C once every 24 hours.
Some standards state once a week at 65C, but I would never install such a system.

Thanks to @oz-plumber I have on my to do list three core and earth from flat to airing cupboard so in summer the DHW is controlled, years ago you could get wireless tank thermostats in the same way as room thermostats at a reasonable price, however the supply seems to have dried up, wired £15 wireless there is a Honeywell EvoHome hot water kit, at £100 well a few pennies under. I got a 2 way radio for £30 it seems a silly price for wireless and not even sure it will work.

Cheapest to date is this one at £76.45 still rather expensive.

I am assuming that this system is only oil fired and dies not have other heat inputs - eg. Log burners et al?

Without a schematic of your mix of thermosyphon and pumped system it is hard to give you any meaningful direction.

It is key that DHW is at the correct temperature, converting that element of your installation to a pumped system with a conventional DHW control may help. On thermosyphon, it will be slower to reach temperature and may be starving the heating system of flow temperature.

Summer DHW only boiler runs 20 minutes before it starts to cycle, winter after boiler had tripped over night so every room cool (16.5°C) the boiler runs for 30 minutes before it starts to cycle, it seems as if not enough radiators as I would have expected it to have run for at least an hour before starting to cycle, however in real terms extending the time taken to heat the house is not bad, it means rooms have time to equalise so all rooms reheat.

The lock shield valves are used to balance the system.
To do this, set the water flow through the radiators so that there is a 10 degrees C difference between inlet and outlet temperatures with the radiator control valve full open.
I normally, set all lock-shields at half open, then adjust each individual radiator to 10 degree drop, it is an iterative process, so you may need two or three passes across the whole system to get it right.
Modern gas boilers modulate over a rang, outside that range the revert to on/off.
Most gas boilers these days are Condensing boilers, and work best with a return water temperature of about 50 degrees C

Reply to Temperature of circulating coolant what difference does it make? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock