Search the forum,

Discuss System improvement in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

redroseexile

As a result of a unfortunate accident on the roof, (please don't ask) we are replacing our Ideal Isar HE 30 with a Broag Remeha Avanta 28C, after an awful lot of research.

To be honest the Ideal has in fact been far from "ideal", having had a new PCB, three igniters and User control board replaced in the space of 4 years, and quite honestly if we could have afforded it before, it would have been ripped out

Initially we contemplated the Avanta 35C, but felt in the light of the fact that the installation is in a 2 bed semi detached 6 rad bungalow that is reasonably well insulated, that this would be overkill.

A few questions for you if you don't mind

The flowrate for the 35c is higher than the 28c and of the current HE30, would this be of benefit in a low water pressure area?

There is currently no thermostat fitted in any room, I would assume that where no thermostat is currently fitted, a thermostat would be fitted in what normally be the coldest room in the house, in our case the North facing living room?

Would it be worth installing a weather compensator, bearing in mind the boiler is situated in the South facing kitchen and we frequently suffer strong northerly winds off the sea, or am I missing the point of the compensator?

I understand that there is less to go wrong with mechanical programmers, but with the relatively low cost of electronic ones, would it be more beneficial to have a electronic one?

I really appreciate your input and thanks in advance for taking the time to read this rather long post, but as you can imagine, we need to get this right this time

Last edited by a moderator:
The flowrate for the 35c is higher than the 28c and of the current HE30, would this be of benefit in a low water pressure area?
NO BENEFIT AT ALL
There is currently no thermostat fitted in any room, I would assume that where no thermostat is currently fitted, a thermostat would be fitted in what normally be the coldest room in the house, in our case the North facing living room?
POSSIBLY BUT THE ROOM YOU LIVE IN MOST WOULD BE BETTER
Would it be worth installing a weather compensator, bearing in mind the boiler is situated in the South facing kitchen and we frequently suffer strong northerly winds off the sea, or am I missing the point of the compensator?
NEVER FITTED ONE,MORE TO GO WRONG
I understand that there is less to go wrong with mechanical programmers, but with the relatively low cost of electronic ones, would it be more beneficial to have a electronic one? IF YOU JUST WANT A 24 HOUR CLOCK STAY WITH MECHANICAL,IF YOU WANT DIFFERENT SETTINGS ON DIFFERENT DAYS GET A 7 DAY HONEYWELL OR A TIME CLOCK AND ROOM STAT IN ONE

I really appreciate your input and thanks in advance for taking the time to read this rather

Many thanks for the succinct answers, gas man particularly the weather compensator one, no point in spending money if it isn't necessary :D

The room that is the coldest is in fact the TV room though we do spend more time on the PCs in a different room, so I think the thermostat will probably go in there.

The programmer will probably end up being a 7 day one as my partner works only 4 days a week.

I meant to ask one more question in my original post, and that is we are planning on keeping the existing radiators and was wondering whether or not it would it be cost effective to have the system flushed after 5½ years of service?

Many thanks for the succinct answers, gas man particularly the weather compensator one, no point in spending money if it isn't necessary :D

The room that is the coldest is in fact the TV room though we do spend more time on the PCs in a different room, so I think the thermostat will probably go in there.

The programmer will probably end up being a 7 day one as my partner works only 4 days a week.

I meant to ask one more question in my original post, and that is we are planning on keeping the existing radiators and was wondering whether or not it would it be cost effective to have the system flushed after 5½ years of service?

defiantly worth having the system cleaned and fitting a magna clean or similar then add a quality inhibitor such as sentinel or fernox

you can hire a power flush machine and chemicals for around £100 then DIY, definately fit the magna clean. I spent 8 hours the other day on a power flush, installed a magnacleana and still found crap in the system 2 days later.

Thanks for that bobster, but I'll be leaving it to the professionals. If I do a DIY task, it always ends up costing more to repair the pig's ear of a job that I have done

if youve had your system cleaned prior to the combi going in - get inhibitor in, and a magnaclean fitted and you shouldnt have many more problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to System improvement in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock