Search the forum,

Discuss Surrey flange installation in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
V

VitioTika

Hi there,
I live in a 40yo council flat.Back then they've installed a cold water tank and an immersion boiler .The boiler is situated on floor level which means that we could only take bath.That is not very practical though since there's 4 of us and the immersion is on central electricity so it's switched on just after 22.00 and the water provided is not enough for all 4 of us unless we're taking baths in couples.I've installed a Watermill Wasp 50 6 months ago but unfortunately it only lasted this long.I'm not sure of the reason for this but the last two months the pump has been unusually noisier than usual and had we taken a shower for longer than 10mins there would be a strange smell of melted cable in the bathroom.The pump is installed right under the bath tub so I had a chance to run it with the cover of the tub open just to see whether something is melting or smoking but couldn't find anything.I understood that one possibility is that a Surrey Flange may be needed.I saw everywhere that these are normally installed on the top of the immersion so I was wondering if could install one in a different place instead.The hot feed goes to the bathroom after passing approx. 1.5m and it separates underneath the bath tub in two_One goes to the handsink in the bathroom the other to the bathtub.My idea is to install this surrey flange where the hot separates in two.This way I reckon I should get unaerated hot water supply to the shower/pump and normal one to the hand sink. Am I right to think this should work or am I missing something?

Installing the flange on the boiler seems like requiring of redoing of the whole setup so that's why I wanted to come up with something simpler.
Thanks

the surrey flange by it's very nature must be fitted into the hot water tank(immersion boiler) for it to work at all. the pump must really be installed in the airing cupboard at the base of the hot water tank to let a decent flow of air to keep it cool which is why you are getting an odour of melted cable it probably is melting.

Have you thought about an electric shower?

As above regarding the surrey flange

You are better with an Essex flange as it let less air in

The noise from the pump is usually due to air ingress and add to that the lack of ventialtion and you have a noisy failed pump

Also you should not fit a pump to bath feeds so heres to hoping you didnt do that either

I reckon your best to enquire from a fitter on have an electric shower installed, if not a new pump correctly fitted and sited

IMHO

I actually had it installed by a friend working for United House who claimed to have installed a few of these and hadn't had any complaints so far.The cylinder is located in the kitchen.Next to the kitchen is our toilet.And next to it is the bathroom.He placed the pump right under the bathtub in the bathroom.To make it easier I'm posting a couple of pictures so you could tell me where was he wrong

Attachments

• IMG_2237.jpg
    IMG_2237.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_2236.jpg
    IMG_2236.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 67
If I fit an Essex flange could I still install the pump underneath the bath

First of all the wasp is a 'shower pump'

so it should be fitted to a shower only as a bath will only use one side of the pump if only one tap is open meaning it will soon burn the seal out on the other side

Secondly under the bath provides no ventilation for the motor (try covering the back of the missus's hai dryer with your hand to hear the difference) (I hold no reponsibility for this though so maybe youtube it :)

It is an air cooled motor so needs air to cool it down and stop it over heating

How does the electric shower idea work for you?

It will not use any of your stored Hot water as it heats manis water directly

We got almost no pressure in the bathroom.Is the electric shower going to manage without pressure?

If you installed a shower such as the excellent Triton T90 it has a water pump fitted in so the pressure problems will no longer arise-good luck!

Is the pump for a shower/ bath mixer or a separate shower? I ask because, you will burn the twin impeller out feeding one tap when you are filling the bath.these are not meant to be used on taps.

You need an electric shower. What are you showering with ar the minute? A bath shower mixer or something?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Surrey flange installation in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock