Search the forum,

Discuss Strange Question... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

teresa1306

Hello,

My name is Teresa and I'm currently doing a research project on making plumbing more productive, profitable, as well as more enjoyable.

My question is: As a plumber what are the biggest problems you find yourself facing on a day-to-day basis?

I'm not trying to sell you anything, I'd just like to learn about the pain points you experience in your profession.

I'd love to hear back from you, even if its a short comment.

Thanks

customers believing were all amateurs out to rob them

welcome to the forum teresa , good luck

A) Agree with bod - people assuming we're trying to rip them off.

B) People who've "been told by their wife's cousin's dad's dog's best mate down the pub that such-and-such is their problem and it should only cost 17 pence to fix" any attempt to tell them what's actually wrong and a realistic price is met with reaction A above!

The preconception we are all on pop stars wages and should be doing "this one job" for next to free...

Welcome along :)

The term 'how much!'

The term 'well it's only a 2 minute job'

The term 'I need a radiator removing as the decorator who's been booked for two months is starting at 8 in the morning'

The term 'I'll buy all the bits'

The term 'How much off that price for cash'

To summarise, CUSTOMERS. But will say that 80% of issues are caused by 20% of customers. Lot of good customers out there, just like there are a lot of good tradesman.

Essential running costs, i.e fuel, VAT rate is way too high to encourage growth in most small businesses. Just to put an additional van on the road and kit it out with essential plumbing materials is extortionately high, yet the UK government wants us all to solve their unemployment crisis by taking people on. They can't have it both ways.

Cut fuel duty now and make the VAT rate 15%, to encourage growth in the economy.

My question is: As a plumber what are the biggest problems you find yourself facing on a day-to-day basis?

getting out of bed
tying my laces
stopping the sauce from the bacon sandwhich going on me shirt
hiding the burnt wallpaper from the customer
waiting in line at the merchants
geting back to site to remember what i forgot
traffic on the way home

:)

Have all plumbing related items mounted at chest height, then no more bending or reaching out under sinks blindly.

Have all leaks occour during normal working hours, and have the merchant just around the corner stock absolutely everything you could possibly need, and more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Strange Question... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I am starting a large victorian renovation and it will involve, (amongst everything else) installation of an entirely new heating and plumbing system. Plumbing, like most trades, seems to have two main aspects; design and installation. The installation part on my last two projects was painful...
Replies
Views
So I bought my first flat recently (am in UK) and in a bit of a pickle as the bathroom has turned up lots of problems that weren't picked up by the survey. I have had loads of plumbers over, and have always carefully checked their reviews/tried to vet them as much as possible. However, I've had...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone I really hope you can help me. I'm 26 now and live in London, I've been doing a bit of career hopping since leaving school at 16 in 2011. The first thing I done after secondary school was gain my Domestic Plumbing and Heating City and Guilds Level 2 and then 3 at college. However...
Replies
Views
Over the summer I completed a level 2 diploma in plumbing (City and Guilds 6035) with Able Skills and am now looking to complete the NVQ level 2. Access training are offering an assessment package for £1500, which is competitive, but I am now nervous given the reviews I have seen on here. I am...
Replies
Views
Hi Firstly apologies for this not being directly a plumbing question, but I'm in a bit of a bind and I was hoping to find some help. It's more of a hobby/home project. I have numerous lengths of 65mm square Floplast uPVC downpipe, and I am wanting to do a series of butt joints to create...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock