Search the forum,

Discuss Starting my own Business in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jstevens

Hi

Interested in starting my own business but had a few questions.
Do i u just need to buy tradesman insurance then off i go or is there more that i have to do? i really dont know what i suppose to do. Could someone please advise me on what to do.

Thanks in advance

public liabilty normally 2 million for start ,
obviously get an accountant
keep receipts etc
also watch how quick your hair goes grey with stress so hair dye required

Thanks

Is it Public Liability insurance or Tradesman Isurance? or are they both sort of the same?
So once i get insurance i start advertising and hopefully wait for the phone calls

just ask your insurer for plumbing and gas insurance cover they will ask for how much , most go for two million which is adequate but i'm an approved contractor so need 5 million and employer is 10 million

Anyone know any cheap insurance companies for liability and van insurance?

Simply Business is quite cheap for public liability insurance. I'd suggest trawling around for van insurance as some find Aviva expensive but some find them cheap. Others find Direct Line expensive and others find them cheap.

It's sensible to have public liability insurance but the law doesn't require it.

If you're setting up as a sole trader you need to tell the taxman you're going to be (or are) self employed. Legally, this is the only thing you HAVE to do.

With your accounts you can do this via the taxman but using an accountant is much more sensible and they should save you from paying too much tax.

Good luck with your venture!!

Thanks

Im gonna get liability insurance. Just need van insurance its so expensive.

And dont forget your tax investigation insurance as we keep being reminded everyday that their coming for us !!!! rahhhhhhhh.

direct line is nice and cheap for public liability insurance.
whoever you go with make sure you are allowed to use a blowtorch as many policy's exclude this!!!

p.s direct line let you do hot work!

Anyone know how i get a trade card thing? Like i have plumbfix near me but i need a card to buy stuff. Do i just join an orginisation like CIPHE?

Anyone can become a member of screwfix and to upgrade to plumbfix you just need to prove plumbing quals. I just gave them details of my NVQ.

To OP, watch what you spend on advertising, a lot of it is a waste of time and money. Stick to the traditionals like local paper, leaflet drops etc. Get your van signwritten, give a business card to EVERYONE you meet and get yourself a website up and running. No one method gives guaranteed results and the idea is long term, local awareness of you and your company. Get on the businesslink website, they give good advice for start up companies. I know some people still recommend yellow pages but personally, it didn't work for me.
Be warned that as soon as you begin advertising you become fresh meat for every phone jockey scam artist in the country trying to sell you something so expect these idiots and tell them where to go. Do not give them the time of day, it is almost certainly a scam.

Anyone know how i get a trade card thing? Like i have plumbfix near me but i need a card to buy stuff. Do i just join an orginisation like CIPHE?

at 17 i doubt if you have any plumbing qualification and please don't throw the 6129 tech cert at me,read other threads, it's been said and said again. your enthusiasm is to be commended but reality will hit you like a sledge hammer, once your relatives and friends run out, believe me things will be tough, there are literally thousands of 17teen year olds, possibly misslead some were along the line seeking the dream,every day there is a thread i'm hard working honest etc,i'll work for nothing ,i've done my 6129, a.c.s. but no experience just give me a chance, it's getting quite tedious and in the current climate a bit annoying.my advice to you is forget plumbing,car van, concentrate on being 17 and leave a battered industry alone. not aimed at you personally.

Last edited:
have to be gas safe for plumbfix as you can buy gas stuff on ye card so they want ye gas safe card do in our local one anyway mate in manc got one thro recpets for stuff thought his plumbing business

As your young, under the age of 25, you could qualify for a grant from the Prince's trust and I suggest that you contact your local enterprise organisation (up here it's Falkirk for business), who run free start up courses and will help you with absolutely everything you need to know at no cost to you.

You need to contact the Inland Revenue within 3 months of starting up and all records must be kept for 5 years.

If you get van insurance make sure it covers its contents. Loss of tools can cripple your business.

Read fully the small print in Tradesman insurance. Often you may not be covered for using heat/blow lamp.

Good on you for having the drive to go and work for yourself. Sadly many are forced to live on government handouts at your age.

Best of luck to you and if you need a logo designed and a copy of some of the invoice forms and plumbing leaflets that I use then PM me and I'll help you out. I've done this freely for other forum members and what I gain is the satisfaction of helping a new start to our trade which is getting hammered from many directions! I am a fully qualified graphic designer and litho printer as well as a plumber, but plumbing is where my income is from these days.

Keep your cash in your pocket and not in some slick con man advertisers. My leaflets have a proven track record and they are cheap to produce and will get you work.

Last edited by a moderator:
help offered by system3 for free top fella or felleress well you never know these days LOL

Def a bloke mate, with 2 kids an a missus!

But at the weekends we call im cindy;););)

Also try and get yer materials through internet sites like BES try and avoid the so called plumbers merchants as even if you have a proper account with good terms for yor trade discounts you will find they are still expensive

I would recommend actually getting a work placement with a company and doing some work in real life before you even consider starting your own business, if youve only done college based work so far.

I know i would prefer to get an apprenticeship of something for months but no one will take me on. Tried British Gas, Homeserve, Jtl and last month i sent out a letter to over 20 small plumbing businesses near me but no reply.

have to be gas safe for plumbfix as you can buy gas stuff on ye card so they want ye gas safe card do in our local one anyway mate in manc got one thro recpets for stuff thought his plumbing business

I have an electricfix account and can also buy plumbing gear from plumbfix with no plumbing quals. Might be different for gas stuff though. Bought plumbing gear from the Manc and Stockport branches before no questions asked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Starting my own Business in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
We have 2 brand new cordless, battery powered press tools in stock, and flying off the shelves. Our TekTools TZ1930 & TZ1550 are packed with advanced features - these cordless press tools are engineered for speed, precision, and ease of use across various applications. Just reply to this thread...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock