Search the forum,

Discuss squealing noise in bathroom mix tap and how to open up the tap in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

The bathroom mix tap has developed a loud squealing noise. We suspect it's the problem with the washer by checking the related threads in this forum. But we need to open up the tap. Anyone knows how to open up the tap (the image attached), for which we don't have a clue yet. Many thanks.

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 9
1. It won't have a washer, it will have a thermostatic cartridge for temperature control and a ceramic disc style flow valve.
2. May well have Allen grub screws inserted through holes in the undersides of the square knobs. Usually 2.0, 2.5 or occasionally 3 mm Allen key required.
3. If not as 2, above, will probably just pull off.
4. You will also probably need to remove the flat chrome plated wall plate to access the cartridges. Probably just fixed in place with silicone, but could be held by screwed rings behind knobs.

Many thanks for your reply. I have taken off the screw, but it still doesn't come off easily. Any idea about how to pull it off?

1. It won't have a washer, it will have a thermostatic cartridge for temperature control and a ceramic disc style flow valve.
2. May well have Allen grub screws inserted through holes in the undersides of the square knobs. Usually 2.0, 2.5 or occasionally 3 mm Allen key required.
3. If not as 2, above, will probably just pull off.
4. You will also probably need to remove the flat chrome plated wall plate to access the cartridges. Probably just fixed in place with silicone, but could be held by screwed rings behind knobs.

1. If you are talking about the knobs, they should pull off once the grub screws are removed. Just make sure there is no another grub screw under the first.
2. If you are talking about the wall plate, a further photograph with the knobs removed would be useful.

Reply to squealing noise in bathroom mix tap and how to open up the tap in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have attached an image of the brass body within a tap. Having replaced a cartridge which has cured a leaking tap, I can see that there is a small leak from the brass body which can be unscrewed. Is there a seal behind the body? Thanks.
Replies
Views
Our kitchen mixer tap has started dripping. Like so much of the plumbing in our almost new build bungalow, it is lacking! The plumber didn't install any isolating cocks in the H&C feed to the tap so how can I identify which of the valves is passing? Shut the whole H&C water system down?
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock