Search the forum,

Discuss Sizing a boiler for heating demand in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Matt0029

Gas Engineer
Is the usual way of sizing the boiler for a C/H system to add up the kW of all the required radiators. Then add 10% for heat loss in the pipework? I know how to do it with regards to a combi and the flow rate rate required in litres per minute with a 35 degree rise in temperature. Thanks.

There are several calculators online or methods in the CIBSE domestic heating guide to guide you through. Each area you calculating fabric and ventilation heat loss and ofcourse there will be some through pipework as well.

There are several calculators online or methods in the CIBSE domestic heating guide to guide you through. Each area you calculating fabric and ventilation heat loss and ofcourse there will be some through pipework as well.
Thank I'm fine with sizing the radiators. It's getting from that to the size of the boiler best suited.

yep room heatloss then add them together to give you your total heat loss then 10kw for a cylinder if they want it on the same time as heating

As Shaun says add each room up to give you the total and add what he said for HW to it if you want CH and HW on at same time, unless you use a system with PDHW or plan to heat separately.

Yes the heat loss figure in KW or BTU is the required radiator size to heat each room, plus 10-20% for pipe heat loss and initial start up. Bare in mind when using some more in depth calculation methods you factor in outdoor temperature to room temperature differential, outdoor temperature often being taken as -1°c and desired room temperature around 21°c. The higher the differential the more watts required.

Are you trying to size the boiler for hot water requirements or for heating only.
There could be a big difference in the hot water demand to the heat output for radiators.
All manageable with the right set up of the boiler

Reply to Sizing a boiler for heating demand in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

M
Hello, We’ve recently moved into a fairly old, fairly big detached house (i.e. fairly draughty, but not too bad by any means) with a fairly new well maintained Worcester combi boiler. We weren’t convinced the heating was working right and then got hit with a £610 energy bill for the first 6...
Replies
Views
MartinPod81
M
My daughter lives alone in a 3 bed semi in the west country. The house is 20 years old. The central heating and hot water are provided from a Glow-worm gas boiler working in conjunction with a Boilermate 2000. The central heating pipework is microbore. In view of the age of the boiler and...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have a Vailant EcoTec Boiler with a Megaflo. These are controlled by a Honeywell controller. I have one 3 port diverter, where one of the outputs goes to a 2 port diverter prior to the Megaflo (I believe this is some safety feature). I have run into an intermittent problem where some...
Replies
Views
Background 24 apartments are equipped with thermal stores of (100 to 150 litres) with immersion heater capability. Individual demand of each apartment for domestic hot water varies greatly in timing and volume. Thus the oil boiler is required to work for long periods which is uneconomical...
Replies
Views
R
Hi, The outlet of all my radiators are at 55°C, but the boiler keep showing the Return Temperature is 60°C (and keep raising at 1°C/min rate) Also the flow temperature keeps going up above the set point and when it reaches +5°C above the set point, the boiler shuts down (even before the room...
Replies
Views
Renato
R
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock