Search the forum,

Discuss Shower boosting pump help! in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi Guys, any help or advice would be appreciated.

I recently had an old salamander shower pump replaced and its not performing as well as the original.

Previous pump was a Salamander RIght RSP 50 (centrifugal)

Quoted flows:
10 lpm @ 1.3 bar
20 lpm @1.2 bar
Max 1.5 bar

Current equivalent / replacement for that from Salamander is RP50PT, according to their own site.

They have installed a CTForce 20 TU, stating that there was not enough height between water tank and upstairs shower head. They did not look or ask for any measurements. The drop from the bottom of the upstairs water tank to the upstairs shower head is about 670mm. Spec of the RP50PT (and the previous RSP 50 said 600mm minimum, and it always was enough to trigger the pump.

Quoted flows:
8 lpm @ 1.8 bar
16 lpm @ 1.5 bar
Max 2.0 bar

A 5 litre bucket takes about 18 seconds to fill from the downstairs shower
The same bucket takes about 35 seconds to fill at the upstairs one.

Now the flow rates are not bad but if i were getting a replacement pump i would want the pressure & flow to match the original installation and its the upstairs shower where the issue is.

Also to add the hot water tank and pump is located in a store adjacent to the ground floor shower and the first floor shower is directly above (minimal pipe runs). I have attached a picture of the new pump installation.

Is the pump that has been recommended correct or is it a lower spec pump?

Thanks,
Tom

Shower pump.jpg

Downstairs shower off the same pump ?

Downstairs shower off the same pump ?
Yes, branched off at shower head height.
[automerge]1576084340[/automerge]
Yes, branched off at shower head height.
I've compared the two pump curves at the original pump has a much higher flow rate at lower pressures. The shower pump can only be about 5m from pump the FF shower head. equaling a pressure to over come of 0.5bar.

Last edited:
Have you cleaned the filters for the upstairs shower as I don’t think it’s a pump fault

Your running one shower at a time correct ?

Hello, just to make you aware that the original pump was a centrifugal pump, whereas the current pump is a regenerative style pump. Centrifugal pumps will deliver a deliver higher flow rates at equivalent pressures given the make up of the impeller.

Reply to Shower boosting pump help! in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi, My current hot water system needs to be replaced. Anyone got any suggestions or can recommend any plumbers around Derrimut area that won't rip me off? An office guy recommended me to apply for government rebates and get it installed through timetosave.com.au. How reliable is this...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock