Search the forum,

Discuss seeking experienced advise on an intermittent fault on ideal logic combi? in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

My own boiler at home has developed an intermittent fault causing an ignition lock out every week or two when there is a demand for hot water. When reset the boiler runs without issue for a week or two. This fault only occurs on HW demand, there has never been a lock out on CH demand. Ideal tech support can only advise carrying out a full strip down service, ensuring gas pressures are ok ( which I've done twice) . Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Does it fire and lock out or does it go straight to lockout as it's firing?
Is it always similar times. i.e first use in the day or after frequent use?

Don't get too hung up on it only apparently locking out on HW, basically your boiler is locking out every week or 2 and it may be a coincidence about the H.W

Pretty scant info so far. Just do all the basics. Check pressure drop across the system on demand. Gas rate. Flow cup. If you don't know what it is you can certainly ascertain what it isnt.

Ok. Thanks for the replies. So no fault code, just ignition lock out. It can happen at any time of the day. Now that the colder weather is here my heating is back on. Any time CH is called for or manually switched on it fires up with no issues. When the heating is running and there is a HW demand there are also no issues. Could be coincidence but it has only ever failed to fire on HW only. I don't know at what stage the lock out occurs as when it's reset it runs with no issues so I've never actually been able to witness it.

Ok. Thanks for the replies. So no fault code, just ignition lock out. It can happen at any time of the day. Now that the colder weather is here my heating is back on. Any time CH is called for or manually switched on it fires up with no issues. When the heating is running and there is a HW demand there are also no issues. Could be coincidence but it has only ever failed to fire on HW only. I don't know at what stage the lock out occurs as when it's reset it runs with no issues so I've never actually been able to witness it.
On reflection the boiler likes to initially guzzle a lot of gas to ignite. The meter governor may be sticking but I think you really should be looking at working pressures / gas rates.

Combi I take it, I have an ideal at home and had a strange issue.
I'll let u know what the issue was if you can answer the question above

Before this thread continues, are you gas safe ?
Yes but not a great deal of experience with domestic boilers
[automerge]1574453569[/automerge]
Yes. Gas Safe.
Reg no. 133686 👍👍

if its gone to ignition lockout with no fault code how do you know its gone to ignition lockout, it will have a fault code you have to reset, could go further but wont at this moment. first question logic or logic plus, different displays. move to gas safe area then can advise more

Last edited:
Op send me your gas safe number in a pm and a pic of your gas safe card and I will sort the rest

Also in the mean time can you get your post count passed 10 please

if its gone to ignition lockout with no fault code how do you know its gone to ignition lockout, it will have a fault code you have to reset, could go further but wont at this moment. first question logic or logic plus, different displays. move to gas safe area then can advise more
It's a logic +. The display reads "ignition lockout check other gas appliances" no code.

Mines a c30 plus.
Kept having peculiar things happening to it.
It was under warranty only 2 years old.
I installed.
So I got ideal out turns out the thermisters where dropping in and out between swichnover.
To fast to notice had to be plugged in to show when it dropped out . It was that fast enough to confuse the boiler.
[automerge]1574504952[/automerge]
New thermisters been ok since
Might help
not to expensive to change either
[automerge]1574505112[/automerge]
Mine also played up when running the boys bath.

Mines a c30 plus.
Kept having peculiar things happening to it.
It was under warranty only 2 years old.
I installed.
So I got ideal out turns out the thermisters where dropping in and out between swichnover.
To fast to notice had to be plugged in to show when it dropped out . It was that fast enough to confuse the boiler.
[automerge]1574504952[/automerge]
New thermisters been ok since
Might help
not to expensive to change either
[automerge]1574505112[/automerge]
Mine also played up when running the boys bath.
Cheers for the advice. My issue only occurs when there is a demand for HW when the boiler is off? Do you reckon thermistors would be the first change?

I was thinking if it was the spark generator I'd be getting a lock out on CH as well but I never do. I was thinking gas valve or fan as these are modulating on HW demand but I'm not sure. Inlet pressure is 19.5.
Is that at max rate?
Does it dip at all on initial fire up?

Cleaning the brass Venturi
Washing through the heat exchanger
Checking spark gap
Cleaning the condense trap and rubber hose are part of Ideals ‘full service’

Reply to seeking experienced advise on an intermittent fault on ideal logic combi? in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock