Search the forum,

Discuss Seeking employment help. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dava811

Hello guys, i know you all probably get this question everyday but i'l try to make it brief.

I'm currently doing C+G 6129 1st year, and imtrying to get employment as an apprentice. I'm just wondering what steps i should take, for example..
How should i approach the firms (Big Plumbing firms),(sole traders) and (medium size firms). Im not sure weither to e-mail them,send letters or contact by phone enquiring by phone.

As most of you are time served plumbers and self employed or business owners, how would you like to be contacted about possible employment.:) Also if anyone has been in my situation, which im sure there have been please feel free to leave me a suggestion.

Thanks, David.:)

not sure weither to e-mail them,send letters or contact by phone

Do all 3. And then repeat.
You've got your work cut out, everything's worth a shot. Also advertise in local plumber's merchants and walk in and ask at any companies who have show rooms / shops. Best case scenario, couple of weeks you get something. Worst case scenaro it could take you best part of a year, but you most probably will get something eventually if you try hard enough.

these are the months you should be looking as most employers are looking at the next few months at taking on apprenticeships - once employed look to getting on a proper apprenticeship scheme.

email, phone, letters with your cv make each one individual to the company - even ask if you can put a sign up in local plumbers merchants etc etc

When you say "proper apprenticeship scheme" what exactly do u mean? im 25 and doing 2 evenings a week in college. I am so keen to get into the nitty gritty of plumbing.

a day release, work based and nvq level 2 and 3 mate.

what your doing is a tech cert, basically like the theory test of driving, you can past your theory but i wouldnt let you drive my car.

Last edited by a moderator:
I understand what your saying, basically my tudor has said by the time we r ready for the nvq part of my course, we should be doing bits here and there, homers etc for friends and family, which should be enough to get an NVQ.

Obviously its not ideal but if it means getting qualified im happy enough, altho as it is said enough, ur not a plumber (or a competent one) unless you have the experiences on site.

I'm living in Belfast so im not sure if plumbing jobs are harder or easier to come by than in England for example, any ideas?

advice from course tutor more than a little suspect!!!! but good luck mate hope it all works out

your work has to be signed off by a competent person. and verified by an assessor.

its not as easy as your tutor is making out. you'll need 10 jobs covering range of jobs hot and cold water, heating, outside drainage - do your best to get a job, and get on a proper scheme.

Thanks for the encouragement, getting a job in the industry is my main goal atm, if i have a success story, il be sure to let you know :D.

its a funny one this because i was speaking to my tutor yesterday about what happens with are course next year, the whole 6129 is changing and there will be an nvq module included in the course, and my comment was if we cant get employment to do the nvq module could we go self employed to gather the eveidence needed for this and he said yes:confused:

please correct me if im wrong/or hes wrong

exactly what i was told mate, after the tech cert, we could technically go self employed. Again, he could be wrong.

to be honest ive heard that many things not sure what to believe, but if self employment is the only way you can acheive your full qualifacation then surely thats whats you have to do, obviously if your competent at what there after youve got a foot in the door of the life long learning of plumbing?

No disrespect but i hope he is very wrong the number of hours i spent tidying up after people who have spent a few weeks at college!!!

I completely agree with you wiltsplumb, but its either that or we r off course.

none taken, but them few weeks at college will be 2 years by the time im getting close to doing my nvq module so would hope ive learnt a little more by then, and if that was the way i would have to gain my full qualifacation then it would be jobs for family and friends.:)

i understand your position completely but there is so much that cant be taught in the classroom there is a lot to be said for having the saftey net of and experienced plumber watching over your shoulder when you are first starting out dont want to be dramatic but it only takes that one mistake due to inexperience and someone could end up getting hurt remember the little girl in somerset who was scalded by water comming from and un supported cold water cistern??!!

Yes wiltsplumb i heard about it, and it should and could of been avoided. What would you suggest tho come the end of my 2 years and i need on site experience if i have no employer?

yes i toatlly understand where your coming from the point im trying to make is, theres nothing more i want than to get employment with a qualified expereinced plumber, but if its the only way forward its something that has to be done, and even by doing that i wouldnt feel like i know the lot, everyday will be a learning day as im sure your aware yourself.

if you are persistant then i hope someone will see how committed you are and give you the oppertunity and your right every day is a learning day even after 11 years for me! its just good to have that back up and please believe me when i say this doesnt apply to everyone but the thought that some of the numpties ive had from the local college on work experience could end up being let loose on the public without getting further experience scares me!! but on the reverse side you will probobly be better prepared for doing the work than some of the builders that do a lot of plumbing work!!!

i know what you mean wilts, im 28 and theres a few people on my course that scare the living daylights out of me when doing things. and yes hopefully my persistance will pay off, either that or theyll just get fed up of me badgering and feel sorry for me and take me on out of pitty:)

I think the biggest problem i am going to face is trying to find a plumber that can afford to take me on, even at minimum wage.

yeh dava it is an issue but i had a lad with me a couple of years ago who worked in argos most of the week and worked for me one day in the week and on a saturday he is now qualified and working for the bg bandits (oopps sorry im mean the well respected british gas!!)

Well i'l just be persistent and see how i get on, thanks for the tips wiltsplumb and good luck andy g!

I did one day a week at college and worked self employed the rest of the time, took a year out after 2 years to develop some flats in an old hotel, then went back to college for 2 more years to get the nvq 2 & 3 and 6129 level 3. As a self employed perso it was hard work, nerve wracking and difficult to always get nvqs sorted. However I got my nvq 2 done in 8 -10 weeks and then did the nvq 3 in 3 weeks based on my own jobs, better than most of the apprentices working at college with me. The hardest part is getting evidence for the gas acs ccn1 part that the apprentices did more easily working for heating firms. I had to fely on a friendly plumber who I worked with very cheaply! to get the experience, evidence and confidence.

Be sure that you do not earn enough when your doing this, you only get the rewards having worked a few years and relied on friends to give you work and reccomendations and built a customer base.

You cant afford to cock up early on, it will stay with you a long time, so dont take on anything you cant be sure you will finish successfully. One bad job will nullify all the good ones overnight, and all the local trades will remind you of youre leaks etc.:) Get a thick skin for this trade, it can help, but after a few years youre mentors start asking your advice, which is rather nice for the confidence.

Thank-you old plumber for the advice, each post from you guys just encourages me even more.

Very interesting thread guys.

Just wondered OP, how you got a tutor to sign off your work for your NVQ? The tutor at my local college told me that wouldn't be permissable to use your own self-employed jobs. I was told I'd need to get a job with a VAT registered and public liability insured firm or sole-trader. The college also need evidence of my employment for 3 months prior to my starting the NVQ section. Do you have any tips on how a tutor might be persuaded that this isn't neccesary?

I've also tried to convince them that my brother's firm(traded for 6 years) might do for NVQ but that he didn't meet criteria cos he has no NVQ or equivilent.

ta

azza

3 weeks to do level 3 ? and then you didnt have evidence for your acs ?

i dont understand this mate, your level 3 is basically your evidence for your acs....

are you sure you dont mean 6129 level 3 tech cert took you 3 weeks ?
my level 3 took me 8 months and i was quickest in my class at completing it bear in mind im a lot older than the others were, but i still had to complete 20 jobs covering a hell of a lot, maintenance, installs, gas fires, unvented systems. I find it hard to belive you completed in 3 weeks, the tech cert perhaps, no chance on the level 3, and then struggle to find evidence for your acs which suggests you dint have the right evidence for the nvq portfolio.

3 weeks to do level 3 ? and then you didnt have evidence for your acs ?

i dont understand this mate, your level 3 is basically your evidence for your acs....

are you sure you dont mean 6129 level 3 tech cert took you 3 weeks ?
my level 3 took me 8 months and i was quickest in my class at completing it bear in mind im a lot older than the others were, but i still had to complete 20 jobs covering a hell of a lot, maintenance, installs, gas fires, unvented systems. I find it hard to belive you completed in 3 weeks, the tech cert perhaps, no chance on the level 3, and then struggle to find evidence for your acs which suggests you dint have the right evidence for the nvq portfolio.

your level 3 isnt your evidence for acs mate, there is no gas at all in an NVQ3 i can assure you of that. the 6129 has gas, and you need eveidence of doing gas to do your acs but the nvq has no gas at all

fuzzy - my level 3 portfolio covered landlord certs, gas work, gas leak, boiler instals, both positive and negative pressure, gas fires and servicing...

this passed my level 3 and it also counted as evidence for my acs. this has all been done this past year.

my course was 6088 heating and vent.

fuzzy - my level 3 portfolio covered landlord certs, gas work, gas leak, boiler instals, both positive and negative pressure, gas fires and servicing...

this passed my level 3 and it also counted as evidence for my acs. this has all been done this past year.

my course was 6088 heating and vent.

oh i see, i presumed you meant the 6089 plumbing level 3. for which no gas in the port folio is required. many people get confused between nvq port folio and acs evidence

oh i see, i presumed you meant the 6089 plumbing level 3. for which no gas in the port folio is required. many people get confused between nvq port folio and acs evidence

well from what i gather we had to choose a fuel - my choice was gas - some did just oil but obviously the college wouldnt put them in for there acs then as they had no evidence to go for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Seeking employment help. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock