Search the forum,

Discuss Sealant application course in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tommy1712

Does anyone know of a course on sealant application. Not interested in a nvq just want to tidy up my silicone work as its far from the best lol

Fugi kit is what most on here seem to like personally I use a unibond applicator with a soap mix in a spray bottle heavy on the washing up liquid.

Works for me

Fugi kit or wet finger. If you want to be really precise use masking tape.

I got a fugi thing and it's still pony lol i do tape but it's still not what I want to leave behind

Get a spray bottle plenty of fairy liquid in it once you've applied the silicone before you play with it spray the area with the liquid it'll mold better and makes it easy to clear off the bath and tiles. It'll take longer to cure

Here's mine from home with this method

image.jpg

Get one of those wee silicone tool mould kits. They are brilliant and it is possible to shape the silicone while also removing all the excess in a couple of goes.
Try to learn on a very short length of joint - like top edge of a basin.
If you choose the prefered corner of the tool, just get the angle you hold it against the wall & basin/bath etc right & keep it tight as you drag the silicone off. Even works where you have dips in tiles or joints. I find it easy now using the moulds

Steady hand, credit type card cut to your liking, wet finger and wonder wipes to clean any excess.

If your sealing on a flat surface like wetwall then the fungi kits make a perfect seal , so does the wet finger but in my opinion in really makes a difference on the type of silicone u use. Some of the cheaper brands are so thin that it's hard to get a neat seal .. I use Dow corning 785 or everbuild or similar and get pritty good seals. Practice makes perfect .
Not heard of a silicone course b4 lol
You see guys on YouTube using masking tape .

I use wurthless or top gun. It's just something I struggle with to get it how I want

Sealant Application is its own trade so there will be courses available. I find foaming glass cleaner sprayed over the bead and surrounding area (failing that washing up liquid and water in a spray bottle) before tooling is the best method....

The trouble is we always see minor imperfections in our work that most people don't even notice.
It's the price we pay for being perfectionists.
Lots of good advice there tho!

Just for info the Fugi 5 piece kit is on Flea Bay at £11.49.
Doesn't seem a bad investment to have on the van even if it helps just a bit?

Just for info the Fugi 5 piece kit is on Flea Bay at £11.49.
Doesn't seem a bad investment to have on the van even if it helps just a bit?

Lidl do an excellent kit under their Powerfix brand for less than £5 I think.
When they have them on sale, my advice is grab one, because as you say, worth it to have one in the van. Mine has made life so easy for me

Ive always used my fingers,

I find the trick is getting the right amount of sealant out of the gun so that your not adding more or taking loads off that's when things get messy,

Make sure your nozzle is cut to the right size you need,
Make sure the area Is clean and dry
Dont rush, take your time and try to get a consistent bead in one go without stopping,
Get a cup with some fairly liquid and water wet your finger
Smooth out without playing with it too much
Clean up with the back of your nail

Masking tape your line (very neat) apply a fair amount of silicone, wet your finger with water mixed with washing up liquid (some people use white spirit but I personally don't want to do that) run your finger along and keep wiping it off your hand, at the end remove the tape.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Sealant application course in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi I had to remove the glass panels from this quadrant shower cubicle and I'm struggling to get one of the screens back in place properly. The small glass panel is supposed to slide into the wall channel, and some holes in the side of the channel (inside the cubicle) should align with some...
Replies
Views
Hi, I’m looking to retrain as a gas engineer and do a new entrants gas course. I’m a bit concerned by the ‘on-job’ work experience/shadowing, as some course want to charge £1500 to pair you up with a qualified engineer. Some courses don’t offer pairing and suggest you find your own engineer to...
Replies
Views
Hi Just moved into a house and in process of renewing sealant around the shower cubicle. Feel free to skip to the bottom to get the question! There’s a gap (20mm in length & 3mm height) at the bottom of the frame (where it meets the shower tray) closest to the wall that appears to have been...
Replies
Views
Hi. I recently bought a house and the shower is leaking. I'm guessing it just needs the washers replaced. However, when I started to have a look I noticed some kind of sealant between the tap body and the opening in the tiles. I can't get to the tap with a spanner to unscrew it as the sealant is...
Replies
Views
Can anyone help, please? I'm looking for a heating system circulation pump for a domestic install, with 3 speeds, where the speed can be toggled electrically as well as via a push switch on the pump body. I'm using this pump with a wood boiler stove, where I want to run the pump at its slowest...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock