Search the forum,

Discuss Salamander Pumps in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

PumpDoctor

Hello All,

I have signed up to this forum today to offer advice and guidance for anyone struggling with a Salamander pump. Please feel free to drop me a message or a reply to this post if there are any questions at all you need answered ranging from Pump selection for a job to problems with an existing pump. always happy to assist!

Look forward to speaking with you !

Kind Regards,
Andrew

Hi Andrew, and welcome to the forum.

Just for clarity, are you a Salamander employee?

Hi Ray,

Thanks!

Yes I am, Just signing up so that if anyone has any issues they can drop me a line on here instead of waiting in a call queue on busy days !

Hi Ray,

Thanks!

Yes I am, Just signing up so that if anyone has any issues they can drop me a line on here instead of waiting in a call queue on busy days !

Cool. One of your colleagues (Paul?) used to come on from time to time. Is he still about?

"No boss, we're not wasting our time playing on the internet, we are giving technical advice to customers, honest!" :)

Ray, Its all about building rapport with the customers :rolleyes2::tounge_smile:

Paul, Get some work done :tounge_smile:

Welcome to the Forum Andrew and I'm sure that your advice will be a welcome addition.

Last edited by a moderator:
i find it worrying that your call centers get overloaded im a stuart turner man my self as ive only been to the dark side twice and they both cost me time and money

Hi pump doc and welcome alway's handy to have a techie on board regards turnpin:toetap05:

There are some jobs though that just wont pay the prices for stuart turner !

Had a very pleasant experience with Salamander recently. I've been working on a Salamander pump that had been poorly installed, ordered an impeller housing that had melted through, the impeller fell apart when I removed it, phoned Salamander for an impeller and they sent me one FOC as a goodwill gesture. Brilliant customer service!

Had a very pleasant experience with Salamander recently. I've been working on a Salamander pump that had been poorly installed, ordered an impeller housing that had melted through, the impeller fell apart when I removed it, phoned Salamander for an impeller and they sent me one FOC as a goodwill gesture. Brilliant customer service!
That's how most companies used to operate, not anymore, fair play to salamander.....

Great to hear your liking our customer service we are working towards providing better and better service.

In regards to Stuart turner pumps I do not wish to argue about what is what and who is who as I am sure you all understand.

I am greatfull for all the welcome messages and VERY glad to hear that we have a very happy customer on the forum!

Kind Regards

I like fitting salamander pumps, my problem is the cost of replacement hoses, the cost of the hoses for a ct 50 was ridiculous and more economical to buy a pump!

I have a problem :(
Had a Salamander RSP 75 for five years - very happy. Then had an extension with a second downstairs shower added.
Three months later, water is leaking on the cold side from the pump housing- between the seals. We got the extension plumber back, and he says the RSP 75 is not up to the job - £420 for a new pump.
£80 jewson generic pump was fitted. I called him on it, and it was a 'terrible mixup' - and a week later came back and fitted a RSP 100. Showers worked, not really happy, but didn't really trust him doing any more work.
It's now a couple of years later, and we noticed damp/rotting under the pump, and sure enough, when pump is in use, water leaks from the cold side housings.

I traced the pipework - upstairs shower is fed from both sides of pump. Downstairs shower (thermostatic) is fed from hot side of pump, and the mains feed. The bugger couldn't be arsed to run two pipes from the pump to the shower.
This means than the downstairs shower runs the cold pump against a closed valve - which eventually weakens the seals and the housing leaks.

My internet research suggests that a whole house pump - like the salamander RHP 100, may be a workable solution - the built in bypass means it can boost the hot or cold alone and the downstairs shower should be OK, without spewing water everywhere.

Two questions :
1) Does it sound plausible? I'm an interested amateur, not a pro, and have no confidence I'm correct.
2) is it possible to convert a RSP100 to a RHP100 by changing the rotors/housings? (they look similar on the pictures..) My RSP100 is working fine mechanically, and I'm quite happy with a spanner.

Thanks for reading :)

U could fit a pressure differential (auto bypass on cold side) but not sure if u can buy all the parts cheaper than new pump. Builders don't employ plumbers anymore due to cost.... It's usually a mate with a bag of tools and no idea.

I would be wanting a balanced supply at shower, repipe if possible?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, we had a good builder - but he doesn't use that 'plumber' any more, after that and a couple of other incidents.

1) Does it sound plausible? I'm an interested amateur, not a pro, and have no confidence I'm correct.
2) is it possible to convert a RSP100 to a RHP100 by changing the rotors/housings? (they look similar on the pictures..) My RSP100 is working fine mechanically, and I'm quite happy with a spanner.

Thanks for reading :)

1) I think your analysis of what caused the problem is correct, and I think your solution will work, although a better solution would be better to run a pumped cold supply to that second shower.
2) I don't think so, but check with Salamander.

Hi PumpDoctor I'm replacing a faulty salamander rcp 100, Its does a shower, would a esp 100 be ok to install, I see the reviews online are not good for this pump, I'm looking for a pump that will last longer than the guarantee thanks Ronan

Hi PumpDoctor I'm replacing a faulty salamander rcp 100, Its does a shower, would a esp 100 be ok to install, I see the reviews online are not good for this pump, I'm looking for a pump that will last longer than the guarantee thanks Ronan

Buy a Stuart Turner, if installed properly you can't go wrong

Hello pump doctor
how my pressure do I put in salamander neg pump , vessel is empty

Sticker missing , I rang salamander tech line 15 mins on hold 3 in line ,, I was 3rd in line for all 15 mins , must have been break time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Salamander Pumps in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Morning to any Australians lurking around! Register its free, then message me, I'll sort your account out for you. We will need a moderator from each main country too. I'll post this in the Australian forum now.
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock