Search the forum,

Discuss Running two showers? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello,

I’ve been trying to understand what my options are. We are in the design phase of having a loft conversion with two rooms and a bathroom up there. We would like to be able to run both showers at the same time.

when we bought the house it had no central heating and we had very little finances so had a 35kw Combi boiler put in which works great. However having done some research I believe my first ‘upgrade’ to getting two showers is replacing my incoming lead supply to plastic.. then from there it’s trying to figure out how to run it.

I’ve been looking into potentially putting an accumulator in the loft or it could go directly after the stop tap once it’s moved under the stairs.

All my pipes run visibly under the stairs as I deliberately didn’t have them boxed in just in case I needed to do something. So I could disconnect the hot to the current bathroom and have a unvented? Vented? Direct? Indirect? Cylinder in a cupboard in the loft conversion that would feed both bathrooms at the same time making the upstairs almost like another zone and the downstairs would continue on the Combi boiler hot/cold. However I believe this would all be down to the pressure or flow of the incoming supply... so maybe the best of both is a cylinder and an accumulator...

maybe there’s something else I should be looking at that does both? I dont know. I know a lot of this is unknown until I get the incoming lead mains changed so I know exactly what flow rate I’m dealing with.

I know people might say just get rid of the boiler but it really is brand new and would feel like a waste to just rip it out.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

35kw boiler will only do around 13-14lpm max so that’s around 6-7 lpm per shower hot so no

I would put an unvented cylinder up in the loft somewhere to serve that bathroom heated via the combi eg a plan / a plan plus

then all you need to think about is your mains pressure static and dynamic and flow s and d

35kw boiler will only do around 13-14lpm max so that’s around 6-7 lpm per shower hot so no

I would put an unvented cylinder up in the loft somewhere to serve that bathroom heated via the combi eg a plan / a plan plus

then all you need to think about is your mains pressure static and dynamic and flow s and d

Would something like this work? RM Cylinders Prostel Indirect Unvented Cylinder 210Ltr - https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/rm-cylinders-prostel-indirect-unvented-cylinder-210ltr/30112

And when you say heated by the combi would the unvented cylinder just be plumbed into normal water circuit up into the loft without having to separate the upstairs water supply? So in theory both my combi and unvented tank would be working in tandem?

I would then go about replacing my incoming main with the biggest pipe I can get. I think 32mm is the biggest they allow coming in. Will need to research that bit more. Might be tough getting it in the house as have slabs laid in the front. But would prefer to do the job properly and not make other mistakes! If only I knew about putting in the tank to begin with would have made it much easier. Just at the time I didnt know and every plumber we had round to quote just quoted for combi boilers!

thanks for the help!

Correct but you need to be qualified to install it

no would be heated by the central heating off the combi not the domestic hot water

I would ask the water board what figures you could get eg 25lpm at 3.5 bar etc that will tell us a lot

you could get the new service moled in you could only have to make a couple of holes either end then

Correct but you need to be qualified to install it

no would be heated by the central heating off the combi not the domestic hot water

I would ask the water board what figures you could get eg 25lpm at 3.5 bar etc that will tell us a lot

you could get the new service moled in you could only have to make a couple of holes either end then
Absolutely! Would never do it myself as I’ve read these things can be dangerous.

ok! So the new tank is plumbed in via my hot water central heating line. But doesnt that mean my CH pressure will always need topping up if im using the hot water from the tank? Perhaps my lame thinking!! Sorry. Trying to understand it a little more.

Ok i might give them a ring tomorrow. It is Thames Water so we shall see how successful it is... so I just need to ask them the throughput in lpm and bar if I were to upgrade the line into my house to the biggest it can be?

thanks again for the help. Really appreciate you helping me understand and make the right choices!
Thanks

heated via your boiler eg the heating circuits and water wise fed from your mains cold water

Ok. Thanks! But does that mean I have to have all my central heating on to heat it up? Thanks

no as it would be on its own zone providing you can get to the main pipes before anything tees off it

Reply to Running two showers? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all Noticed bad smell in my drain out side put my hand down and it unclogged it for now however I checked my sewer drain and after flushing my toilet a good few times nothing is going to the sewer so don't know is there a blockage or what way it works many thanks and advice would be grateful
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock