Search the forum,

Discuss Rodding access help needed in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

James1979

Hi, I need to add rodding access into my soil pipe (under the floor boards downstairs). Unfortunately the current pipe is cast iron and I'm told by my plumber is 5 inch or 130mm diameter. I'm having a nightmare trying to find the best way of doing this with this diameter pipe. Do I cut a section out then piece it in with plastic and use a flexi coupling at each end, do I cut and piece a cast iron access piece. Can anyone advise on the best way to add access into this cast pipe? For some reason this diameter is very hard to find fittings to suit. The only plastic access I can find is 4 inch and will therefore reduce the pipe at this point which could lead to potential blockage issues?? Any help or thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks!
James

usa or uk?

UK, also, both very good questions. The figure 5 inch is what my plumber has told me but I will check this as I'm finding it very difficult to source 5 inch pipe so I'm not confident it is exactly 5 inch. Also, my plumber will be doing the fitting, however I'm really up against time with this so am trying to source the materials so he can do the job urgently. As the diameter of the pipe is unusual he is also trying to work our the best way without having to use any reducers to slim this area of pipe to normal 4 inch pipe due to potential blockage issues. If anyone has an idea on what they would use to solve this I'd be pleased if you could share. Many thanks again!

110mm pipe with access panel with a ds103 coupler at each end to connect plastic to iron? That's what I'd do with clay. Never seen cast iron underground.

Last edited:
5inch fernco couplings

Neither had my plumber that's what's confused the issue, appreciate your comments, the flexi couplers with 110mm plastic access piece is what I've got so far, but he had concerns reducing the internal diameter of the pipe could cause a block. Without cutting the pipe I can't be sure what the internal diameter of the cast is but at that stage I'm kind of commited!

Neither had my plumber that's what's confused the issue, appreciate your comments, the flexi couplers with 110mm plastic access piece is what I've got so far, but he had concerns reducing the internal diameter of the pipe could cause a block. Without cutting the pipe I can't be sure what the internal diameter of the cast is but at that stage I'm kind of commited!

just get a piece of 5" steel pipe (will be thiner than the cast) so wont reduce the dia

Wouldn't it be easier for your plumber to tell you what he needs?

You might buy the wrong stuff thus wasting time & the urgent job taking longer & costing you more

Are you sure your plumber is doing the job & not you?

If you are it's ok but sounds iffy to me

No my plumber will definitely be doing the work. However, he isn't sure the best way to go about it. Of course he'll work it out but I don't have time on my side. (kitchen being installed over the area next Tuesday so it'll make it difficult to install after so need to get it sorted and installed before monday. Hence i'm trying to help get some thoughts from people that may come come across this before. Same size outside diameter is another interesting thought, thanks.

No my plumber will definitely be doing the work. However, he isn't sure the best way to go about it. Of course he'll work it out but I don't have time on my side. (kitchen being installed over the area next Tuesday so it'll make it difficult to install after so need to get it sorted and installed before monday. Hence i'm trying to help get some thoughts from people that may come come across this before. Same size outside diameter is another interesting thought, thanks.

hows is he going to cut it :D

110mm in to 5" not a problem. you're not reducing the diameter in direction of flow but increasing it.

You will probably find the internal bore of the cast iron pipe will be the same size as the internal bore of the plastic pipe.
It will be a case of the cast iron pipe having a greater wall thickness than the plastic.

I'd also point out its pointless doing the work in the first place as theres going to be a kitchen on top of it....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Rodding access help needed in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock