Search the forum,

Discuss Replacing a water tank ballcock in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mrs B

Hi All. I have a fast dripping overflow. Apparently the ballcock in the cold water tank is rusty and 'on it's last legs'. How easy a job is it to replace DIY or how much should I expect to pay a plumber to come out and do it? Thanks :)

Hi mrs b. welcome to the forum!

easy peezy DIY job if you are confidant enough. Have a look at the ball valve you currently have. Buy a similar replacent. And buy a new fibre washer too. Isolate mains water and open the downstairs cold tap to release the last drop of water in the pipework. Then change it. 2 spanners and 10minutes later you can sit back and admire your work! Have buckets and towels ready just incase!!

Hi & welcome, ballcock = float valve & they are made of brass, so do not rust as such.
Main thing to find out before attempting anything is can you shut the water off to it ?? If so, then it might be worth a go, just make sure you have a replacement one handy most domestic ones are still 1/2" BS1010 brass & what is called a part 1 (i.e. water comes out straight down into the cistern) although you can replace like for like I would recommend you by a Part 2 (water comes out at the top & there is a little plastic spout to send it down).
If all goes well you should be able to just replace the working parts inside the cistern by undoing the union nut on the old & new ones & exchanging parts leaving pipe connection in place.
Hope the helps & make sense.

Hi & welcome, ballcock = float valve & they are made of brass, so do not rust as such.
Main thing to find out before attempting anything is can you shut the water off to it ?? If so, then it might be worth a go, just make sure you have a replacement one handy most domestic ones are still 1/2" BS1010 brass & what is called a part 1 (i.e. water comes out straight down into the cistern) although you can replace like for like I would recommend you by a Part 2 (water comes out at the top & there is a little plastic spout to send it down).
If all goes well you should be able to just replace the working parts inside the cistern by undoing the union nut on the old & new ones & exchanging parts leaving pipe connection in place.
Hope the helps & make sense.

Piece of cake

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Replacing a water tank ballcock in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, We have a large Heatrea Sadia unvented hot water tank, not sure of the size in liters but its about 1600mm tall. The tank is around 3 years old now and was amazing when it was first installed. Around a year ago we had a problem with water dripping from the overflow pipe outside and we ended...
Replies
Views
Fortic tank is overflowing,plumber replaced ballcock, no change. Came back and says immersion heater thermostat needs replacing? Water appears to be re-entering cold section via pipe from cold tank to hot cylinder, not through vent pipe. Water is warm in cold section. Any advice welcome
Replies
Views
About 9 months now, started suffering intermittent but frequent hydraulic shock thwacks, sometimes very violent, below Harvey's water softener in mains cold copper pipe. So far, water tank ballcock replaced, kitchen mixer tap replaced, Harvey's serviced the water softener, approx. 5 years old...
Replies
Views
Good evening, I'd like your opinion on something that is worrying me please: my landlady's plumber replaced the bottom/night element of my 20-year-old unvented cylinder (an Ariston Classico HE STD 150) 5 days ago and I hadn't noticed that it was leaking. He fixed the leak today but now the...
Replies
Views
I have a vented hot-water cylinder that was installed when the house was built - 38 years ago! It has a header tank in the loft and the cylinder is located directly above the ceiling of a new and expensive kitchen. It does not leak and causes no obvious problems. Should it be replaced? Advice...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock