Search the forum,

Discuss Rate my business plan in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all. Am new to the forum. Some of what I will be discussing has been covered in previous threads but I feel my situation is a bit more unique.

I am an individual who has worked for the civil service for the past 20 years (am just shy of 40) and am looking for a career change. In my spare time I am also a property developer and over the past 15 year have done quite nicely off renovation and have a nice little property portfolio. I am now in the position where I only have to work part-time. However I hate my job and it has always been ambition to learn a trade which would earn me a living and also give me a skill which I could use when renovating / maintaining my houses.

Gas had always interested me. I have used for the past 10 years a local guy who pretty much does all property maintenance and have become friends with him. He does everything from fit bathrooms and kitchens to full central heating fittings and repair. However whilst he's fully competent he's never bothered doing his gas safe and does the bulk of the work and then his mate who is gas safe registered comes in and checks his work over and signs it off. He's done this for years and has fitted 3 boilers for me personally which were all signed off. I use a separate gas man for my landlord certs and services and he's always said the work my guy has done is good.

Recently I've been expressing to my maintenance guy that I am unhappy in my work and would like a change of career. I would also like to work for myself, be self employed and have the flexibility to work as and when I choose. I suggested gas as an option.

He suggested to me that I go and do the training and then we could potentially do some work together with him being experienced in fitting systems and me being gas safe to sign it all off. The plan would be for me to do an intensive course, get gas safe registration and get myself a van and tools. I'd would do servicing and landlord certs to fill my time and on bigger jobs we'd go together.

I am in a unique position that I only really need to earn around £1200 per month to tick over nicely so don't really need to be bringing in loads of work. My maintenance guy has also sorted it out for me to go and potentially work with his gas safe mate who is retiring within the next few years who is willing to let me go with him if I feel I need more experience at any point.

I have found a company on Birmingham called options skills. They run an 8 week intensive course and then put you with a gas safe engineer for a period of around 6 months to do your portfolio. You then come back to the test centre and do some more work before gas safe come out and check up on work you have completed. They have guaranteed that they will work with me until I am at the point that I can work independently on gas appliances. They said it will take approximately 8 months and they are involved in the whole process and guarantee you a local place with a gas safe engineer to complete the portfolio (which I have read can be an issue).

Everything seems to be in place for me to start the ball rolling and my path into the trade looks to be reasonable. But it's a big decision to quit my job and I am aware the risks are huge. The nagging feeling I have with these intensive courses are that they seem too good to be true. I am aware of the criticisms of them and that they leave you quite inexperienced and that employers won't touch you. However I am not looking for experience as this will be something I will get once I have got qualified. And I am not looking for employment as I plan to go self employed.

Given all the negative posts on intensive course on here, given my circumstances, on this occasion would doing a intensive course actually be a good idea?

Thanks in advance for anyone taking the time to reply.

How will you gain experience if you are out there on your own?
You won’t have anyone to learn from
I will be with a gas safe engineer for 6 months after the 8 week course and will be full time with them gaining experience as well as building my portfolio. I then have the option of going with my maintenance guys gas safe mate afterwards if I still lack experience.

I will be with a gas safe engineer for 6 months after the 8 week course and will be full time with them gaining experience as well as building my portfolio. I then have the option of going with my maintenance guys gas safe mate afterwards if I still lack experience.
Is he happy to train someone who will take his work?

What's your current job, current salary, annual holidays, sick days, bonuses and so on.
You won't get any of that when you are self employed and inexperienced at your chosen trade
Civil servant. Was recently redeployed to a job I hate. Am on protected salary for another year then I get a big wage drop. I don't get bonuses or anything like that lol. I own 5 houses and my wife is a well paid teacher so am financially secure. My daughter is 3 and will be going to school in 18 months. I'd rather give my current security of my job up to be able to dictate my own hours and be able to take her school myself every day rather than employ a child minder. Whilst there are a lot of risks and negatives I feel the positives could far outweigh the negatives.

Sounds like you are in as good a position as you can be
Touch wood I think I am. As a landlord of 5 properties I have a bit of experience of the demand for trade in my local area too. I have used the same guy for about 8 years now but he's become a bit unreliable over the past couple of years. I'd bin him off if I could but everyone seems the same. I used to ring him up if I had a fault at one of my properties and he'd always come out within a few days. Now though it's whenever he's free next. He's got that much work on he's happy too leave me sat around waiting. I've tried other companies and everyone ring, and I'm talking 7,8,9 companies I get the same answer. 'I'm not gonna be able to get out to u until next (usually about 10 time), give me a call end of the week and I'll see when I can fit u in'. Either that or I get them telling me they are fully booked but take my number to ring me back and never do.

Sounds a good plan, the course offering 6 months training in the field to get the portfolio done is the only thing that sounds too good to be true. For me i was on the phone alot in the early days to my mentor and gas safe when out on site , things dont always go according to plan, thats when experience comes in.

Question GSR chaps.
I'd understood it wasn't kosher for a GSR person to sign off the work of another. What is the LEGAL chapter & verse ?
Apologies, but not interested in opinions - I've got one of those;)
I'm not sure if its legal or not to sign off someone else's work. In this case the law has been broken by the installer doing the works while not been supervised by a registered engineer but has the enginner broke the law by signing it off?

You are not being realistic. After 9 and before 3 and I bet you want weekends off too. Mate go part time at the council. You will never make it with such slim hours. Are you going to leave people for days to suit your preferred hours? Overheads are no cheaper to work so few hours.

You are not being realistic. After 9 and before 3 and I bet you want weekends off too. Mate go part time at the council. You will never make it with such slim hours. Are you going to leave people for days to suit your preferred hours? Overheads are no cheaper to work so few hours.
Appreciate your feedback. I don't need to finish at 3. I just want to be able to drop my daughter off in the morning. Weekend work and such don't bother me. Did it for 16 years up until 12 months ago in a job I enjoyed and worked 52 hours a week in. Mornings, afternoons and nights 24/7.

The point of was making about the hours was that I could arrange them within reason myself and that I'm not desperate to earn mega money like others out there who are seeking to come into the profession for the money so I'm not coming in with expectations of earning huge amounts.

With respect jamie you are looking at this through media tinted glasses. The reality is very different.

On one hand you complain about how people are unavail cos they too busy yet in the next breath talk of your part time hours. Get real old bean.

You dont like paying yet youll expect others to pay! Get real old bean. Sensing a theme?

We see these types of unrealistic posts every week to the point we are now far less than supportive because we see you've not taken any time at all to understand the reality. All you see is that you hate your comfortable existance and a mirage of a green field called plumbing painted by imbicilic media. Get real old bean.

With respect jamie you are looking at this through media tinted glasses. The reality is very different.

On one hand you complain about how people are unavail cos they too busy yet in the next breath talk of your part time hours. Get real old bean.

You dont like paying yet youll expect others to pay! Get real old bean. Sensing a theme?

We see these types of unrealistic posts every week to the point we are now far less than supportive because we see you've not taken any time at all to understand the reality. All you see is that you hate your comfortable existance and a mirage of a green field called plumbing painted by imbicilic media. Get real old bean.

Totally get your point. If you go back to my original post I think I acknowledged that this has in some ways been covered before. The points I was trying to emphasise were that I felt I was in more of a unique position in terms of access to experience. Ie. My maintenance man and his gas safe registered buddy. I understand you see regular posts of people wanting to get into the trade and had I read any similar posts to mine I would have refrained from posting. But the posts I've read are people going in completely blind.

Maybe I am being unrealistic. If so your comments have given me food for thought and for that I appreciate you taking time to reply.

Maybe I am being unrealistic. If so your comments have given me food for thought and for that I appreciate you taking time to reply.

Perhaps of more relevance Jamie is that what you are currently experiencing is not everyday, not authentic, not truly representative of this industry. We have a private thread running currently where we are talking hard of the, frankly appalling way this trade is treated when without us the country would literally grind to a halt in a matter of weeks.
Just so you know, this trade is currently seen as the fall back if you fail get a job in MacDonalds in the eye of joe pubic.
That, old bean, is our reality.

Hi all. Am new to the forum. Some of what I will be discussing has been covered in previous threads but I feel my situation is a bit more unique.

I am an individual who has worked for the civil service for the past 20 years (am just shy of 40) and am looking for a career change. In my spare time I am also a property developer and over the past 15 year have done quite nicely off renovation and have a nice little property portfolio. I am now in the position where I only have to work part-time. However I hate my job and it has always been ambition to learn a trade which would earn me a living and also give me a skill which I could use when renovating / maintaining my houses.

Gas had always interested me. I have used for the past 10 years a local guy who pretty much does all property maintenance and have become friends with him. He does everything from fit bathrooms and kitchens to full central heating fittings and repair. However whilst he's fully competent he's never bothered doing his gas safe and does the bulk of the work and then his mate who is gas safe registered comes in and checks his work over and signs it off. He's done this for years and has fitted 3 boilers for me personally which were all signed off. I use a separate gas man for my landlord certs and services and he's always said the work my guy has done is good.

Recently I've been expressing to my maintenance guy that I am unhappy in my work and would like a change of career. I would also like to work for myself, be self employed and have the flexibility to work as and when I choose. I suggested gas as an option.

He suggested to me that I go and do the training and then we could potentially do some work together with him being experienced in fitting systems and me being gas safe to sign it all off. The plan would be for me to do an intensive course, get gas safe registration and get myself a van and tools. I'd would do servicing and landlord certs to fill my time and on bigger jobs we'd go together.

I am in a unique position that I only really need to earn around £1200 per month to tick over nicely so don't really need to be bringing in loads of work. My maintenance guy has also sorted it out for me to go and potentially work with his gas safe mate who is retiring within the next few years who is willing to let me go with him if I feel I need more experience at any point.

I have found a company on Birmingham called options skills. They run an 8 week intensive course and then put you with a gas safe engineer for a period of around 6 months to do your portfolio. You then come back to the test centre and do some more work before gas safe come out and check up on work you have completed. They have guaranteed that they will work with me until I am at the point that I can work independently on gas appliances. They said it will take approximately 8 months and they are involved in the whole process and guarantee you a local place with a gas safe engineer to complete the portfolio (which I have read can be an issue).

Everything seems to be in place for me to start the ball rolling and my path into the trade looks to be reasonable. But it's a big decision to quit my job and I am aware the risks are huge. The nagging feeling I have with these intensive courses are that they seem too good to be true. I am aware of the criticisms of them and that they leave you quite inexperienced and that employers won't touch you. However I am not looking for experience as this will be something I will get once I have got qualified. And I am not looking for employment as I plan to go self employed.

Given all the negative posts on intensive course on here, given my circumstances, on this occasion would doing a intensive course actually be a good idea?

Thanks in advance for anyone taking the time to reply.

Hello Jamesjamie,

My comments are going to come across as `pedantic` but because of the serious nature of what you wrote in your first message I cannot phrase them in any other way.

You are under the completely wrong impression regarding a registered Gas Engineer / Installer being able to `Sign Off` someone else`s Gas work:

It is absolutely against the Gas Safety Regulations and the Gas Safe registration rules for a Gas Engineer / Gas Installer to sign off another persons Gas work apart from where they are officially `Supervising` a Trainee Gas Installer who is carrying out documented Gas work tasks as part of producing a `Portfolio` to complement their Training Provider`s academic and practical training.

Those `Trainee Gas Installers` have to be officially registered with a Training Provider and be registered as `In Training` with either a Gas Safe registered Gas Engineer or a Gas Training Provider Company or College.

As the Gas Safety Regulations and Gas Safe registration rules are Legally binding breaking those Regulations and Registration rules is ILLEGAL !

As Member scott_d stated it is against the Gas Safety Regulations for someone who is not Gas Safe registered to even `Hang` a Boiler on the wall let alone carry out any further Gas works related to `Installing the Boiler`.

I wonder whether You take any notice of these facts regarding your wish to become a Gas Safe registered Gas Installer and your stated plans to `Sign off` your Plumbers Gas installations ?

Chris

Hello Jamesjamie,

My comments are going to come across as `pedantic` but because of the serious nature of what you wrote in your first message I cannot phrase them in any other way.

You are under the completely wrong impression regarding a registered Gas Engineer / Installer being able to `Sign Off` someone else`s Gas work:

It is absolutely against the Gas Safety Regulations and the Gas Safe registration rules for a Gas Engineer / Gas Installer to sign off another persons Gas work apart from where they are officially `Supervising` a Trainee Gas Installer who is carrying out documented Gas work tasks as part of producing a `Portfolio` to complement their Training Provider`s academic and practical training.

Those `Trainee Gas Installers` have to be officially registered with a Training Provider and be registered as `In Training` with either a Gas Safe registered Gas Engineer or a Gas Training Provider Company or College.

As the Gas Safety Regulations and Gas Safe registration rules are Legally binding breaking those Regulations and Registration rules is ILLEGAL !

As Member scott_d stated it is against the Gas Safety Regulations for someone who is not Gas Safe registered to even `Hang` a Boiler on the wall let alone carry out any further Gas works related to `Installing the Boiler`.

I wonder whether You take any notice of these facts regarding your wish to become a Gas Safe registered Gas Installer and your stated plans to `Sign off` your Plumbers Gas installations ?

Chris
Appreciate this info Chris. This is quite enlightening to me. I had always been of the impression that if the work was done to regs and someone was willing to check it over and certify it as such then it was considered OK.

Probably more concerning is that I have mentioned this before to various training providers and no one has pointed out this not being OK.

Time the reconsider my position I think. Thanks for the info guys.

Perhaps of more relevance Jamie is that what you are currently experiencing is not everyday, not authentic, not truly representative of this industry.

It's also illegal and hence a rather poor model to base a business on. It also means that as a landlord you're the proud owner of three illegally installed boilers. Better hope that nothing ever goes wrong with them and kills your tenants.

Sleep well.

These are good points.

So taking a fresh look at things if I still wanted to take a crack at it the best route would be to do the training and then go and work with the gas safe engineer we know to gain experience?
I would find a new one. I will
probably get some backlash from this but I wouldn’t trust anyone that signs off someone else’s installs or work.

I would find a new one. I will
probably get some backlash from this but I wouldn’t trust anyone that signs off someone else’s installs or work.
I get where you are coming from but isn't that the barrier most have when trying to get into the industry? No one wants you to come with them.

I appreciate all the comments guys it's making me really question who I should be placing my trust in.

So taking a fresh look at things if I still wanted to take a crack at it the best route would be to do the training and then go and work with the gas safe engineer we know to gain experience?

My advice would be to keep well away from someone who is making a living by 'signing-off' gas work done an unqualified person. Stick to being a property renovator/developer but start employing people who know and follow the rules.

I get where you are coming from but isn't that the barrier most have when trying to get into the industry? No one wants you to come with them.

I appreciate all the comments guys it's making me really question who I should be placing my trust in.
Your choice. But do you want to be the engineer that was trained by that other dodgy engineer, or the engineer that struggled at first but is now that awesome engineer? But like I said your choice.

Personally, I feel Harvest's point about sticking with what you have demonstrated you are good at is very pertinent.

Surround yourself with a good, trusted team that you treat well and you will go from strength to strength. Do you properties up t9 a good quality focusing on issues like running costs and environmental impact and you'll build yourself a model difficult to beat today.

Reply to Rate my business plan in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all Noticed bad smell in my drain out side put my hand down and it unclogged it for now however I checked my sewer drain and after flushing my toilet a good few times nothing is going to the sewer so don't know is there a blockage or what way it works many thanks and advice would be grateful
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock