Search the forum,

Discuss Radiator Valve Threads in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Evening All,

I have had a several rads fitted in my house over the last few years and I am having problems with some where the paint is cracking and causing the radiators to leak. Two have been replaced by the online suppliers and another is in the process of being exchanged. See attached photos to give you an idea of the issues. Would appreciate any advice on what could be causing it. They typically seem to last around 18-24 months before developing issues.

Attachments

• 20200606_180138.jpg
    20200606_180138.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 20200606_180947.jpg
    20200606_180947.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 7
  • 20200606_180225.jpg
    20200606_180225.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 6
Paint issues is heat related eg hot then cold then hot etc this cycling cause the pain to de bond and crack around the edges (in short done cheaply)

As for the leaks one or more of them are caused by the plugs not sealing / good enough

and the reducer manufacturers not doing a good enough job of making them up or the installer not doing a good enough job of installing the valves

Thanks for the response. The leaks only develop once the paint has cracked / de bonded from the surface underneath. A mate of mine who works with a plumber said it could be that water is getting underneath the paint as the o rings become brittle over time which can then let water in. He suggested applying a hefty amount of PTFE around the blanking plate and bleed valve thread before screwing them in but from looking online others say this is not needed as they are fitted with o rings. Could this be a possible cause or will it just be due to the poor finish cracking with the rads getting hot and cold.
[automerge]1591470558[/automerge]
The radiators come with a 15 year warranty and I haven't as of yet experienced any issues with getting them replaced but I'm getting fed up with having to get them changed over every couple of years. I have never experienced so many issues with radiators. Is this common on these types or rads i.e. traditional column type and modern bar designs. I did google these types and did find other people using similar styles and complaining about the poor quality. I have never had issues with standard type radiators in the past. I went with these purely for aesthetics but beginning to regret the decision.

Last edited:
I always find the rubber seals to be pretty much cheap and rubbish. As for the paint as stated above they have not been finished correctly. Metal will always expand so a radiator really needs to be dipped before coating.

For the leaks Isolate the radiator both ends and open the bleed nipple to let out the pressure. Unscrew the plug and wrap some ptfe around them. If you are unsure hire a plumber. 5 - 10 minutes a radiator should sort most of that out. Good luck.

Evening All,

I have had a several rads fitted in my house over the last few years and I am having problems with some where the paint is cracking and causing the radiators to leak. Two have been replaced by the online suppliers and another is in the process of being exchanged. See attached photos to give you an idea of the issues. Would appreciate any advice on what could be causing it. They typically seem to last around 18-24 months before developing
Evening All,

I have had a several rads fitted in my house over the last few years and I am having problems with some where the paint is cracking and causing the radiators to leak. Two have been replaced by the online suppliers and another is in the process of being exchanged. See attached photos to give you an idea of the issues. Would appreciate any advice on what could be causing it. They typically seem to last around 18-24 months before developing issues.

Is there inhibitor in the system?

Thanks for the responses. The rads have now had ptfe wrapped around the plugs so will have to see how that goes.

The system has got Sentinel X100 inhibitor added to it.

Reply to Radiator Valve Threads in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Morning all. I hope this is the correct place for this post. If not i'll happily move it to another forum area. I am renovating a property and the old cast iron radiators need a refresh, and i'm going to fit some new bleed valves amongst other things. The female thread in most of the rads...
Replies
Views
Hi I am trying to fit a Hive Radiator valve into my existing TRV valve body to make them automatic so have bought a Hive valve to try it out. I have done this before in another install but the valves were Danfoss and directly compatible with Hive. I am looking for an adapter that will be able...
Replies
Views
Hi, Throughout our house there are numerous isolation valves which are on almost every plumbing fixture. Clearly whoever plumbed this had a thing for using them but I have heard elsewhere that they cause problems and are prone to leaking, especially when used after long periods. I noticed a...
Replies
Views
Desperate for some help! Be a life saver of someone can help as suffer from a high intolerance to noise. Moved into new house 1940s (copper pipes) and having serious issues with banging pipes only when central heating is on. Not when running taps We have a wall in living room that has stop tap...
Replies
Views
Hey guys in the know. I have paid for a heating and plumbing contract and had to pay my excess 3 times for the same thing still not fixed. The issue is quite simple to repair not sure why any one of the 2 plumbers could not fix it. Why am I paying for cover. The auto air vents in part of the...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock