Search the forum,

Discuss Radiator Valve replacement.what to do by a College teacher in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

850Rick

I was doing some write ups to finish my level 2,ive finished all exams just got to tidy a few bits and pieces off.Anyway Teacher comes in and says "you go to miss dopalopaloss house to change a leaking radiator valve in the living room ground floor." i said ok ,he then says "how would you deal with it" lol.Me being nieve said i aint freezing the pipe work lol i would drain off to be safe!.The Teacher says no i would freeze the pipe work but never rely on the time it says on the tin lol draining off could cause airlocks and more problems.I said cheers makes me feel better now lol.What would you lot do in that situation and have any of you done a job where your arse went lol

If your concerned about airlocks it must be an open vent scenario in which case use bungs. Snatch can be risky but on open vent there's less pressure but often much crappier coloured water.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Ha Ha...I myself always like to work live and snatch over a wetvac but today it backfired. One cold rad on a 5 rad combi system, tried all the usuall tricks to get it to heat up but nothing.

Opened Trv into hose pipe and opened filling loop and got nice clear water running through, did the same with lockshield and wacked the filling loop open. Went outside expected to see black sludge pouring out of hosepipe but dry as a bone. Double checked lockshield was open and the turned the filling loop off just before it hit 3 bar!

Pulled the hose pipe off the lockshield (plastic pipes so was able to rotate valve facing other way) and was just about to put wet vac on when the blockage blew out under the pressure and covered the wallpaper and carpet in sludge! oops

In my haste I'd risked not turning valve off first, although I was there 4 hours getting the damn thing to heat up. Nice and hot now and mess vacuumed up.

bungs are good, live is quick but you can look stupid if it goes badly wrong lol

nothing wrong with draining down if other methods are more risky and your unsure. It depends how much time you got and how hard the system would be to refill. if its open vented be careful you dont suck loads of sludge into the system from the tank.

Lots of our customers are getting sensitive about the environment and their water bills so we do freeze a lot.It saves wasting time chasing airlocks on a badly piped system and helps explain the size of the invoice :wacko:

When you guys say snatch do you mean working live but replacing fast?

I never used a freezer since only 2 months and now that i know how to use it its AWSUM! Apart when your soldering then you hear the ice block starts cracking and your lying under the womans floor getting soaked in heating water lol

Must remember to turn boiler off before i freeze heating :O

Bungs and snatches? On a Sunday?! I would drain, replace, add inhibitor, vent, test.... But then I charge by the hour!

I never used a freezer since only 2 months and now that i know how to use it its AWSUM! Apart when your soldering then you hear the ice block starts cracking and your lying under the womans floor getting soaked in heating water lol

Must remember to turn boiler off before i freeze heating :O

What machine you got mate ?

personally I prefer to bung, and its been a while since I've had some snatch. That said it depends on the job but on most occasions I tend to use my rothy eco pipe freezer, great as long a s the electric stays on !

If your concerned about airlocks it must be an open vent scenario in which case use bungs. Snatch can be risky but on open vent there's less pressure but often much crappier coloured water.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

I was Told bunging doesnt work lol

bungs are good, live is quick but you can look stupid if it goes badly wrong lol

nothing wrong with draining down if other methods are more risky and your unsure. It depends how much time you got and how hard the system would be to refill. if its open vented be careful you dont suck loads of sludge into the system from the tank.

I think he was on about a Combi situation.I would be ok draining down on that wouldnt i ?

Learn to live in the fast lane. Start with a main stopcock on 6 bar and it can only get easier after that :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Radiator Valve replacement.what to do by a College teacher in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock