Search the forum,

Discuss Radiator balancing in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry if this has been covered before.

I live in a dormer bungalow. I'm replacing all of the down stairs radiators with vertical radiators.

The flow and return pipes are dropping down in 15mm from the upper room where there is a loop of flow and return in 22mm. On all of the downstairs vertical radiators I have got the flow going into the top and the return coming out of the bottom.

I'm fitting all new Danfoss Bi-directional flow-selectable TRV's on the bottom, at the return outlet. Altering the TRV to suit the Danfoss instruction. So the lockshield valve is at the top where the flow enters.

How do I balance them, or does the TRV at the return outlet do it for me and lockshield left fully open.

Hope this make sense.

temp on flow and return your looking for about a 10 degree drop if new condense boiler about 20 degree

Hi

It's an old fashioned boiler, system boiler I think they are called.

But if I use the lockshield valve on the flow, to restrict the amount of hot water going into the radiator wont it be totally reliant on the TRV to restrict the outlet to get that 10 degree difference in which case wont it be better to leave the lockshield fully open.

Hi

It's an old fashioned boiler, system boiler I think they are called.

But if I use the lockshield valve on the flow, to restrict the amount of hot water going into the radiator wont it be totally reliant on the TRV to restrict the outlet to get that 10 degree difference in which case wont it be better to leave the lockshield fully open.

other way round lock-shield on the return

But if I do that the TRV is 2 meters up the wall.

yes thats right or if your radiator can both on bottom some can some cant depends if theres an internal baffle/ system

make and model of rads?

Hi

They are Milano Aruba. You cant see any internal baffles.

The Danfoss TRV's seem to be saying that they can be fitted at either flow or return, they are bi-directional.

Hi

They are Milano Aruba. You cant see any internal baffles.

The Danfoss TRV's seem to be saying that they can be fitted at either flow or return, they are bi-directional.

can you see right through eg look through one hole can you see straight through?

Yes, straight through, top and bottom.

needs to be top and bottom, never heard of that type before, the only thing i can thing of is what you said balance via trv are they tall rads?

Yes 1780mm.

Is letting the TRV balance the radiator a recognised way of doing it?

honest dont have a clue the problem is it can always be messed with thats whats making me think other wise the only other way i can think of is remote sensor

I dont believe it matters which end of the radiator the flow restriction is.
Its the flow rate through the radiator that dictates the difference in temperature. A restriction on the flow or return will achieve the same.
Adjust the lock shield.
Set the TRV to the desired aprox room temp and let it do its job which is to shut flow off, not ballance.
I believe the danfos ras c's have the capability to set the ballancing of the radiator on the valve core under the thermostatic head. The honeywells can do it too. Both of these features are independant of the Trv's real function which is to close flow to a radiator when room is at desired temperature.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Radiator balancing in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I am trying to workout in what order my radiators heat up in order to then balance them. I am able to figure out which radiator pipe is the flow/return on each radiator so that I can then grab the right pipe to check which heats up first. There has been an extension done on this house at some...
Replies
Views
Hi - I'm a reasonably experienced DIY plumber but just can't work out why the last new rad I've installed is cold - would really appreciate your help please. I've extended an existing 'run' of radiators - the last one on the run ( in downstairs kitchen) is cold. The first rad added is...
Replies
Views
I have recently had this radiator fitted and currently it gets very hot. I would like to turn the radiator temperature down however I'm unsure which valve I need to turn. I am not sure which is the flow or return. Or does it not make a difference? At the moment, both valves in the picture are...
Replies
Views
D
Hi all, I have read through numerous online guides as well as the pinned Balancing Radiators Thread on this forum. However still have several questions. Earlier this year we moved to a bigger house and with the rising energy costs just want to ensure we are doing our best to get the most...
Replies
Views
Forums ... Old conventional non condensing combi boiler. Worcester 24i rsf. Bungalow (ceiling drop pipes) with 7 rads. I've bled rads. Attempted to balance - Got them heating up at similar times now. Boiler manual states 11 degree delta flow and return. Boiler is set to about 3/4 of max...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock