Search the forum,

Discuss Radiator Balancing Problem in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I have some radiators with old style valves and I think they need rebalancing as they arnt warming up whilst the radiators nearest to the boiler are really hot

I'm having difficulty identify which is the lockshield valve and which is the wheelhead valve. When I take the caps of both valves look identical - see attached pic.

However the only valve I'm able to turn is the one which had the lockshield cap and the one I'm unable to turn is the one which had the wheelhead cap - is this normal or has someone fitted the wrong caps on the wrong valve?

Do I need a spanner to turn the valve which has the wheelhead valve or is it suppose to not turn? Surely the feed which I'm assuming is the pipe whice heats up should have been set up to have a valve which turns.

Strangely in the next room I have a radiator with a reverse set up. The pipe which is getting hot first has a valve which turns but has a lockshied cap. Probaly to prevent people tampering with hit. However the retunr pipe on this radiator is cold and has a valve which I'm unable to turn and ironically it has a wheelhead valve.

Why the heck would plumbers design a system so inefficiently?

radiator.jpg

the only difference between the valves is the cap!

the lock shield (cap that just spins without turning the valve) should be on the side that is balanced.
The other side with the turnable cap is to be able to turn the rad up/down if required, this is accomplished automatically when a thermostatic radiator valve is fitted.
if any valves are not turning with a spanner/grips, then it is seized up.

Preferably the lockshield but they both reduce flow through the radiator so do a similar job ;)

Normally the lockshield valve is on the return pipe, i.e the cooler one.

The valves each end are probably identical. It's just the caps which are different, so you can swap them over.

If the valve is stiff, use a tool to start them moving, e.g adjustable spanner. Wind through the complete range to loosen them. You can use the wheel head to do this; it also makes balancing easier.

As for balancing, here's the quick way:

1. Remove all TRV heads and set all wheel valves to fully open.
2. Set all lockshield valves to 1/3 of a turn open from closed (fully clockwise).
3. Start boiler and allow system to warm up
4. Feel all return pipes (cooler one) to see how warm they are.
5. Select one which is midway between the hottest and coldest and use it as a 'standard'.
6. Any rad with a hotter return than the 'standard' should have the LS valve closed a tiny fraction.
7. Any rad with a cooler return should be open a tiny fraction.
8. Repeat 4 to 7 until all returns are approximately the same temperature.

Do no expect perfection. The adjustment each time is very small and you need to leave time (say 5 mins) between each adjustment for the system to settle down.

When finished, replace all TRV heads and set to required temperature. Set all wheel valves to required position.

If the valve is stiff, use a tool to start them moving, e.g adjustable spanner. Wind through the complete range to loosen them. You can use the wheel head to do this; it also makes balancing easier.

I've got water leaking now from the trying to turn the stiff valve? Is this valve knackerd?

The lack of knowledge displayed in your original post would lead me to advise you to call a heating engineer and get them to do it. It will work out cheaper. If you attempt this yourself you risk leaks, damaging valves and making things worse, costing you more.

Normally the lockshield valve is on the return pipe, i.e the cooler one.

The valves each end are probably identical. It's just the caps which are different, so you can swap them over.

So in the picture attached the caps must be correct i.e the lockshield cap is on the cooler pipe? However the valve with the wheel head cap is stuck or knackered but the pipe feeding it is really hot? I've tried turning it but it seems to be leaking now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Radiator Balancing Problem in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

O
Hi All, We renovated our house in 2019 and put in completely new plumbing system and piping including new boiler and 9 radiators. Off those, there is one radiator in the living room which does not heat up at all. I have tried balancing myself and also had a professional come in to balance it...
Replies
Views
Hi, I need to drain my vokera 29 boiler in the attic as Im going away for 4 weeks at least to make sure there are no frozen pipes. In my small 3rd floor flat, I have a radiator in the front room and one in the hall (very close to each other), there is a drainage valve on one of these. My back...
Replies
Views
I am trying to workout in what order my radiators heat up in order to then balance them. I am able to figure out which radiator pipe is the flow/return on each radiator so that I can then grab the right pipe to check which heats up first. There has been an extension done on this house at some...
Replies
Views
A
  • Question
Hi, I have a combi-boiler system and while I did some plumbing many years ago I have never fitted a combi-boiler and am confused by this problem . I removed a radiator on the upper floor of my house to clean and paint the wall behind it, when removing it I shut down the lockshield and packed the...
Replies
Views
Allan 1234
A
I have recently had this radiator fitted and currently it gets very hot. I would like to turn the radiator temperature down however I'm unsure which valve I need to turn. I am not sure which is the flow or return. Or does it not make a difference? At the moment, both valves in the picture are...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock