Search the forum,

Discuss Qualifications/experience in the Plumbing Courses and Training area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi

Its look likely I will be made redundant by the end of the year which isn't ideal with a young child. I am interested in becoming a plumber as feel its quite a stable job compared to working in an office but that's the issue, my CV is heavily office based and don't have any experience with plumbing. I am currently 33 years old and would be starting from scratch. I am just wondering what is the best way to get into the trade? I cant really afford to study full time so wondering if its better to try and shadow someone or if its better to go for the college course which states full time but is only 1 day per week? I'm in Newcastle in the north east if anyone is local and can help

Cheers

if you dont mind what are / did you do in an office?

Have you any diy experience and any tools, do you drive. The older ones on here started as apprentice or just made up as they went along in their early years. Plumbing is very practical, dirty but quite rewarding. By all means go on a course but they will teach you rules and theory. Get out there do simple jobs on your own house and your family there is us and utube you might find a fella that needs a hand from time to time, if your good he will want you more
Centralheatking

Do you have friends who are in the trade? I feel the best route for this is to get a job as a plumbers labourer, this way you get paid for going to work. You’ll start off learning how to do the basics like knocking holes in walls, taking up floorboards and drilling and notching joists etc, which are VERY valuable skills I might add, working your way up to pipework and the like, maybe try find a night school city and guilds course to do along side (if that’s still a thing) that way you can learn the regs, calculations and the like. It’s important that you can drive, and have a car in my opinion, nothing flash but something you’re not scared of throwing your tools and stuff in, oh and the most important skill....
You need to be able to make a decent brew, nice and strong without overdoing it, splash of milk and no sugar, if it’s in a cup without any chips and still got its handle that’s a bonus too😎

good luck pal.

Have you any diy experience and any tools, do you drive. The older ones on here started as apprentice or just made up as they went along in their early years. Plumbing is very practical, dirty but quite rewarding. By all means go on a course but they will teach you rules and theory. Get out there do simple jobs on your own house and your family there is us and utube you might find a fella that needs a hand from time to time, if your good he will want you more
Centralheatking

Well...diy I put a curtain pole up in my daughters bedroom, can change a plug fuse, painted/decorated, put flatpack furniture together and that's about as diy as I get unfortunately along with plunging and putting drain unblocker down the plug hole if its blocked. I know a lad who works for himself and he came and fit a new toilet and last I spoke to him he said if I wanted to do my NVQ he would help me with my practical for me to pass, I have messaged him since I just mentioned to try to get employed as a trainee so don't think he has the funds to take me with that suggestion. I work full time Monday to Friday so its quite difficult for me to offer myself up and think he very rarely works weekends either. Really appreciate your response mate, do you think its worth getting the qualifications or just try self teach or shadow an experienced plumber?
[automerge]1580983236[/automerge]
Do you have friends who are in the trade? I feel the best route for this is to get a job as a plumbers labourer, this way you get paid for going to work. You’ll start off learning how to do the basics like knocking holes in walls, taking up floorboards and drilling and notching joists etc, which are VERY valuable skills I might add, working your way up to pipework and the like, maybe try find a night school city and guilds course to do along side (if that’s still a thing) that way you can learn the regs, calculations and the like. It’s important that you can drive, and have a car in my opinion, nothing flash but something you’re not scared of throwing your tools and stuff in, oh and the most important skill..
You need to be able to make a decent brew, nice and strong without overdoing it, splash of milk and no sugar, if it’s in a cup without any chips and still got its handle that’s a bonus too😎

good luck pal.

I know one lad but as mentioned on my other response he rarely works on a weekend and with me working full time its hard to shadow him or offer help to gain experience and get my hands dirty. I think they are quite hard to find as every job advertisement I have seen is either apprenticeship or experienced, it may be because there isn't any in Newcastle? I have a car, I did have a 1 series but after finding out I could be doomed (and now am its just a matter of when) I now have a Mazda 3, don't mind it getting dirty with tools and what have you. Haha I'm not that bad but if it gets my foot in the door al be your cuppa maker 😂

Appreciate you taking the time to respond mate :)

Last edited:

Reply to Qualifications/experience in the Plumbing Courses and Training area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock