Search the forum,

Discuss Public Liability Insurance in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

smudger

I'm a new business and I'm struggling to find reasonablt priced insurance. Quotes that I've had exclude all hot work, which seems a bit pointless for a plumber. Either that or its around £500 pa. Does that sound about right?

direct line business. i pay £4.10 a week. which is about 200 quid a year, i can use a blowtorch unlike with some policies. tools cover is extra...

not the most comprehensive but its pretty cheap

KJ

The AXA one included hot work (not oxy) but no tools, £2m pl which is req by some approved contractor schemes, but thats approx £550 pa. Think I'll check out DL, sounds better. Thanks Kay-Jay (seems like many people don't have any pl insurance - madness!)

madness indeed!

i heard tell of a bloke who about 2 months ago accidentally clobbered a load bearing wall with a mini jcb the house damn near fell down apparently gonna cost him in the region of 100k to put right. guess what??? yep he had no pl insurance....he now has to sell his own house to raise the funds necessary. he's in his late 50's and has basically lost everything he has ever worked for.

KJ

I was talking to a plumber a couple of months ago, been in the trade for over 30 years and he has set fire to 3 houses! (He's actually a great plumber) :)

I have direct line, similar price to Kay-Jay, you can also pay monthly for no extra cost. The only thing about my policy is it says I am not covered for full central heating installs, not a problem at the moment as I am not a qualified heating engineer. However I hope to one day so the premium may go up.

I got mine with Insurantz.com for £168, paid monthly. residential only though but with torch.

Im with Direct line too and pay 8.49 per month which covers blow torches and pl upto 2 million try them i find them quite reasonable

Hi im also looking for insurance but im unsure for the PL do i have to have 2 mil cover is can i have 1 mil? oh im gas fitting not sure if that matters

the higher the cover the better. your "mistake" might take out a whole street worst case scenario

Public liability insurance brings me no comfort. I've never had to claim but I just presume it's like all insurances and they'll just find away not to pay.

i have similar concerns, WT i only hope that choosing a reputable insurance broker (direct line) rather than some obscure online (nobody's heard of em but they're cheap) kind of outfit will prove to be the right choice in the event of a claim.

KJ

I've also just switched to Direct Line. £160 for £2m cover and includes blow lamp. £500 excess though which I think is pretty standard.

Steve

hi all i carry 2 mill again with direct line covers me to do building work and plumbing (not gas) in domestic, rented and shops as i ddo a lot of land lord repairs for a few local estate agents can use heat/blow torch with a £500 exess mine around the £200 mark

A word of advice whichever insurer you choose.

Carefully read your policy wording with regards hot work and make sure you can comply with it
All insurers have a raft of terms and exclusions that must be adhered to.

Generally a 6 or 9kg ABC fire extingisher (dry powder) must be beside you.
Any flammable materials have to be removed (almost impossible)
Any remaining flammables have to be covered up (a heat mat doesn't count)
After hot work the area has to be checked for up to an hour.
etc etc etc.

Read through and understand your policy and make sure it covers what you are actually doing. Should the worst happen you will need to prove all the terms were complied with.

Only reasons I have insurance are OFTEC requires it and it helps as a selling point. I reckon any claim I make will be sent to the bin and only paid out with massive legal costs and time.

That's why I go for the cheapest.

Insurance companies are there only to make money and if they paid out all their filed claims the premiums would be too much so they'd lose customers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Public Liability Insurance in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

S
Growing business seeking self-employed plumber and gas engineer, to help with increasing workload. Based in Falkirk area also covering other parts of central Scotland. We are looking for a hardworking, reliable, and experienced individual who is willing to work on a subcontracting basis, Must...
Replies
Views
smtplumbing
S
P
Hello Everyone, I'm looking to start doing plumbing and heating work and wanted to set up properly. What things do i need to have in place before i can start trading as self employed plumber? - Public Liability Insurance or trade insurance? - Business name? - Contract in place before starting...
Replies
Views
erpkid
E
Due to an increased workload I'm currently offering work on a sub contract basis, to appropriate candidates. This will be subject to an interview and agreed terms and conditions of business. We carry out domestic plumbing heating and bathrooms, candidates must be suitably qualified as such...
Replies
Views
M
Hi, I am really struggling to find an employer and also just wanted to get my view / point across about my current situation. I started my college course in September 2011 and have just recently finished the NVQ C&;G Level 2 Tech Cert and find myself here, sat at home day in day out looking for...
Replies
Views
R
I have a problem with my central heating/boiler/water tank. I'll try and provide as much info as possible...! Boiler - Baxi System Boiler - System 35/60 Boiler Control Unit (BCU) - Honeywell Room Thermo - Honeywell (in living room) Radiators all have TRV's Water Tank in Airing...
Replies
Views
Richard Dyer
R
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock