Search the forum,

Discuss Problem with central heating - Advice Needed in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

thames

Hello
Hope someone can give me some advice on a problem im having with the central heating in my flat.
I have a Glowworm 18si fanned flue system boiler with 5 radiators. Over the past year I have had a problem that the boiler keeps losing pressure going to 0.6 where the red light will start flashing and then continuing to go to 0.0

It started almost a year ago and would lose pressure gradually over a couple of weeks but got quicker with time. We had a plumber come round and he fitted a Presure release valve which seemed to stop the problem for a couple of months how ever the problem eventually came back and slowly got worse.

We have had a couple of different plumbers round over the past couple of months and most recently had someone from British gas come round. He said he thinks it is a leak in the pipes somewhere and flushed the pipes with some filler. This has not helped and the system can now go from 1.8 to 0.0 in as little as an hour.

If the central heating is turned off but the hot water left on the boiler maintains its pressure, recently as a test I turned off each radiator individually at their bases and then turned the central heating on. this caused the boiler to lose pressure very quickly.

Obviously if this is a leak it will mean pulling up carpet and wooden flooring in my flat which I would rather not have to do not to mention drilling into the floor to get to the pipes is there anything else that would cause this problem. my flat is on the 3rd floor of a 3 story block and i have had no complaints from anyone below about leaks or ceiling stains from above so cant understand where the water could be going if it was a leak.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

this sounds like the expansion vessel get a good local plumber to inspect the system for you

Thank you all for the quick replies. Would the british gas enginier not have checked the expansion vessle or is it something that you cant check and must just replace and hope for the best?

theres a valve on the expansion vessel, press it see if water is present, not a job for you though matey get a reliable plumber (local) bg are more or less a sales pitch, he should of checked but probably didnt and you prob got charged 100 quid for something you could of easily done yourself for a tenner (leak sealer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Problem with central heating - Advice Needed in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

hello we have an unvented system. we have an issue where the hot water is hot for 10 seconds and then luke warm, turn off taps / wait and turn back and it repeats itself. had boiler checked and told it was the expansion vessel. Had the expansion vessel drained and recharged. plumber told me...
Replies
Views
M
Hello, We’ve recently moved into a fairly old, fairly big detached house (i.e. fairly draughty, but not too bad by any means) with a fairly new well maintained Worcester combi boiler. We weren’t convinced the heating was working right and then got hit with a £610 energy bill for the first 6...
Replies
Views
MartinPod81
M
B
Context for issue: I'd like to start by saying I'd rather not read 100 "Hire a professional comments", I will do that when/if it comes to it, but I'd like to do it myself if possible. All images for system here: https://*********/a/ngPQkre Last winter the temperature switch on my boiler...
Replies
Views
Butchy10
B
Context for issue: Last winter the temperature switch on my boiler shorted somehow, the boiler was then running WAY too hot and ended up blowing/melting a hole in one of the pipes. I repaired this by putting in a new stretch of pipe in and just connecting it to the existing pipes with two...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have 3 port value for HW & CH. Loft extension added many years ago so they added a T to go upstairs, only 2 rads up but 11 downstairs covering at leave twice the floor area As per diagram has free flow Up or Down, no way to balance. Works pretty well but last few Rads (in kitchen) are...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock