Search the forum,

Discuss Problem soldering Yorkshire 22mm to 3/4 coupler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi,

Im trying unsuccessfully to solder a 22mm to 3/4 yorkshire straight adapter. Ive done a fair bit of soldering before without issues but its all been on 15mm pipe.

With Yorkshire fittings im used to seeing a ring of older appear after about 15 seconds and then stop. However with this current fitting the ring of solder is not appearing at all so i cant tell when the joint is done. Ive been through 6 (yes 6!) joints now.

I tried soldering it for 30s - didnt join. I then tried for 1 min and it didnt join. I even left the heat on for 3 minutes. Still no ring of solder but it did appear to join - only to have a leak afterwards!

its sunday so i can only get yorkshire fittings form screwfix. i have one left. anyone any idea whats going on?

Are you absolutely sure that the pipe is indeed 3/4” ? If in any doubt measure the outside diameter with a vernier.

I assume that you have checked that the fitting is indeed a 3/4” to 22mm and that the ring is full of solder, and that your flux is not badly contaminated.

It wont work got stuck like this years ago, even compression joints need special
olives. centralheatking. if you are really stuck then you might take it all apart clean it all up
and then solder it as an end feed but keep the heat low and effectively do a wiped joint
use some kitchen towel with laco on it to get it right. centralheatking

You're using these?
https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/solde...VkEPTCh23hQVREAQYASABEgL9vPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I'd suspect you're using too much heat.

Clean pipe?
Clean fitting?
Flux, not old?
Moving the flame around?

Marc,

I assume that both sections of the pipe are totally dry.

Check you have the correct fitting and the pipe od’s are correct and they are inserted the correct way round - it will work.

Check my earlier points. I appreciate that you probably don’t have a vernier handy on a Sunday - but they are invaluable in these situations. The tolerance for a capillary fitting to work is surprisingly tight.

I suspect that the pipe is not true 3/4” to BS.

Last edited:
Should solder no bother if no water in pipe and pipe and fitting all thoroughly cleaned. Obviously flux used?
You can end feed solder wire into a Yorkshire fitting which will also give an indication of exactly when the fitting is correct heat to melt solder.
Overheating a fitting destroys the joint and can cause the pipe and fitting to blacken (basically go dirty) and it will not solder.
Once a fitting reaches heat and begins to melt solder it only requires literally a couple seconds of more flame to be fully soldered.
Personally I add a dab of flux as I heat and solder by dipping the tip of solder wire into flux

Cheap fittings / off brand ones I find need a bit more solder added to them

Post a picture Marc let's see what you are doing wrong ? What flux are you using , what heat source , have you throughly cleaned both ends of the pipe before adding flux, add a extra dab of solder to the fitting whilst heating, any water in the pipe will turn to steam and not allow a successful joint . Kop

Reply to Problem soldering Yorkshire 22mm to 3/4 coupler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock