Search the forum,

Discuss Powermax 155 dilemma in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi Everyone
I have a very old Powermax 155 boiler which is 20 years old. A couple of years ago, I had a problem with the burner switch intermittently switching off and on and I was close to replacing the boiler but eventually someone came round and managed to fix the problem. I haven't had any further problems since. Every year the boiler is serviced the engineer will typically recommend its changed because the boiler is ancient and parts are very rare and expensive etc etc.

Well recently, I put my house up for sale and have found a buyer and agreed a price and yep you've guessed it... The same thing has happened again! So now I have no heating or hot water. Its the same problem with the burner light switching off and the red lock out light coming on again. I have had someone come over and told me that the gas valve is defective and repair with parts could be approx £500. They have stated that they feel its beyond economic repair and advised replacement.

They have given 3 options:
1)Gloworm energy 28c, 5 year warranty() vertical flue £1500
2) Gloworm energy 30c with climapro2 controller 10 year warranty £1800
3)Gloworm 35c energy climapro controller,10 year warranty £1920
They have stated that option 2/3 is best for the house

I would prefer a repair if possible as any money I spend on a boiler, I wont get back in 2/3 months time assuming the house sale proceeds as normal. However, I dont want to spend 100s of £ in a repair if there is a high risk of failure within a very short space of time. Please can anyone give advice on the situation or on the quotes I have received?

My house is a 4 bed detached house with 2 bathrooms and a WC.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Baxi do a fixed price repair at around £300 that will sort your issue also them boilers arnt suitable for your property (what they have quoted)

Thanks for your helpful replies.

Further update: 2 days again the boiler started to work again. It now only works for 20 minutes before stopping again.

Ive called Baxi and they will not repair boiler due to its age. Ive booked a British Gas engineer single visit repair as a last chance.

Reply to Powermax 155 dilemma in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock