Search the forum,

Discuss Potterton Promax HE 15 stays on constantly in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Kitch999

Hi - I'm new! Hello to all.

I have a problem with the above boiler in that it just stays on constantly. Regardless of what temperature I put on the thermostat and regardless or whether or not its part of the scheduled daily timings, its just on. On full tilt too, the radiators are too hot to touch.

I've tried to reset it, which doesn't work. I've switched it off at the wall for a good few hours and it still powers up to full and keeps going when I switch it back. Even the temperature control on the boiler itself doesn't do anything.

I wanted to get the thoughts of people on here before I ring a qualified person to look at it. I'm not planning on doing anything DIY (not qualified), but I'm just concerned about getting ripped off.

I can't really think what else to try and a google search doesn't really help (its difficult to define the search term to get the right results). I had seen a website about it not modulating correctly and talk of PCBs etc, but that's way over my head.

Any help/thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

James

Last edited by a moderator:
Doubt very much it's the boiler if you have a zoned system.

And don't fret about getting 'ripped off'. It may surprise you that the vast majority of us are reputable business men regardless of what Dom might have you believe.

The bad apples are far and few between.

Oh I'm sure the majority are honest and great at their job. I just seem to be unlucky with that sort of thing (I always get the 0.1%).

Not sure what you mean by zoned system. Would you mind expanding please?

Oh I'm sure the majority are honest and great at their job. I just seem to be unlucky with that sort of thing (I always get the 0.1%).

Not sure what you mean by zoned system. Would you mind expanding please?

You need to try and ensure you stay registered:)

AS cropie says, it's nothing to do with the boiler. So try and relax. If it was, the display panel would have asked that ''contact installer''

Please log back in.

Can you separately control the heating up and downstairs?

Sorry, replied on my phone.

It isn't a zoned system then. Just controls the whole house. I think it is a combi as it does the water as well (I have the boiler upstairs and a massive water tank thingy downstairs).

@Village idiot - there isn't a readout as such.

$_86.JPG

It looks like this one. There are 3 lights around the digital read out. One to show its on and heating stuff (green), one for the pilot light (amber) and I assume the top right light is for when there is an error code (I assume red).

There are a few instructions on the panel and it describes a few specific error codes where a reset will do the trick. Any other code suggests contacting an engineer. I'm not receiving any error code with this issue.

Sorry, replied on my phone.

It isn't a zoned system then. Just controls the whole house. I think it is a combi as it does the water as well (I have the boiler upstairs and a massive water tank thingy downstairs).

@Village idiot - there isn't a readout as such.

$_86.JPG

It looks like this one.

Can you not post a picture of your one?

this does not sound like a boiler problem,its a control issue,probably a faulty motorised valve calling for heat all the time

Hi again - having switched the boiler off overnight, I switched it on again this morning (right in the middle of a scheduled program). It fired up fine, stayed at the correct temperature and switched off at the correct time.

Then it came on again this afternoon at the correct time and stayed at the right temp again.

After the message last night from village idiot, I found the diverter valve and gave it a little wiggle as I tried to see the manufacturer. No idea if that has made the difference. Presumably its not fixed and its knackered in some way.

Any thoughts from anyone?

Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Potterton Promax HE 15 stays on constantly in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock