Search the forum,

Discuss Potterton Prima 40B cutting out - help sought in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello

I'm seeking helpwith a central heating problem please. It's a fully pumped system with a diverter valve for cylinder / rads and has an open header tank. Potterton Prima 40B.

The first sign of trouble was yesterday evening, no hot water. The hot water and radiators had been ok earlier in the day.
The pilot light was out so I easily re-lit it and turned the control valve back from the igniter setting to on. The main burner fired, job done I though, but it wasn't.

No hot water this morning.

The pilot lights easily and stays on if there is no demand for heating. The pilot flame looks like it's bathing the thermocouple. Once a demand is placed, the main burner fires immediately, then 10 to 60 seconds later there is a click and both the main burner and pilot are extinguished. This is repeatable. I can't see if the pilot flame is bathing the thermocouple correctly once the main burner fires, there is just too much light in there. I checked the thermocouple with an Avometer. Minimum scale is 3V so only millimetres needle movement however the reading is consistent with 20 mV. My DVM isn't at home and it'll take a couple of hours to get it. The pump is vibrating, so seems to be working.

I followed the fault finding chart in the instructions and it doesn't really cover this situation.

Anybody have any thoughts please?

Reply to Potterton Prima 40B cutting out - help sought in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock