Search the forum,

Discuss Polypipe system Zone thermostat blows all fuses! in the Plumbing Zone area at PlumbersForums.net

Good day everyone,

I'm coming to this forum in the hope that the collective minds can help me. The story is long, depressing and complex so I'll try to condense the issues for you all, and hopefully you can steer me in the right direction. Thanks in advance for reading the below tale...

We moved into this lovely old house in June this year, in the midst of the summer heat. I noticed the heated towel rails were on, ALL THE TIME! Cue much bedtime sweating, and not the pleasant kind either. :) Anyhow, we had hot water, and we had warm fluffy towels. Life was good.
Being the inquistive type I had a look in the room that houses the boiler and UFH manifold and promptly stood there gawping at the sight of it. VERY complex.. To me anyway. As the days passed we realised that the only way of having hot water was to use the immersion. A local plumber was called and he replaced a Honeywell 2 port valve head, a hot water pump, and did some other stuff which I didn't see, and my wife didn't understand... We had hot water from the boiler now!

Weeks went by and I noticed that one part of the UFH in the kitchen was stone cold. Other part was almost too hot to walk on! The floor is tiled. Upstairs, there is a second manifold, and this didn't appear to do anything at all, DEAD. As a dead thing. No pump, no lights on the wiring centre, nothing. Hmmm.

2 (more) plumbers have been, and neither has fixed it. One came and never even billed us, and now won't return my calls. He must be scared of the system for some reason. I wonder why?

Fast forward to this week.

Boiler now blowing the 3A fuse on a regualar basis. Nothing has changed! So I kept flinging 3A fuses in it, almost every day. Now running on a 5A fuse and is perfectly happy again. How odd?! Anyhow, the gas supplier includes boiler cover on the tarriff we pay. So I called out.
Engineer takes a cursory look at the boiler, declares it fit, points accusatory finger at the UFH system "WE DON'T TOUCH THAT! IT MUST BE CAUSING THE ISSUE. GOODBYE!".. Now, he didn't even check the fuse on the wall outlet. How do I know this? Because I had to put a manky looking old fuse in there that tested fine, but had been in my odds and ends jar for YEARS and was filthy on the ceramic section. Aforementioned "engineer" was asked "so what rating of fuse should be in there?". "3 amps mate. I only got the fuse to blow when the UFH was turned on...". No. No you didn't. The manky looking fuse is still in there and is fine. You never changed it.

I discovered the issue with the cold cold zone was flow related, so have fixed that, it is lovely and warm in both areas of that zone now. I dropped the heat down to the recommended 45C too, so we can walk about on the floor without making "oooh, oooh, ahhh, oh, ooooh" noises like we are crossing hot sand barefoot. Hurrah. Fuse in the boiler is still fine. Fuse in the Polypipe wiring centre was the wrong rating. Put a brand new 5A glass fuse in there. Brushed out the remains of the exploded fuses from the previous plumbers visits too.... So downstairs now seems to work fine.

Moving on to upstairs. Start with the easy stuff right? Previous plumber had replaced a fuse in the Polypipe wiring centre upstairs and managed to blow the fuse in the upstairs Polypipe WC (Wiring Centre), the downstairs WC and the boiler 240v outlet... Not good. He ran away and never came back. I fitted a 5A glass fuse in the WC, turned all the zone thermostats to "off", and pushed the fuse holder home.... Safety squint enabled. No drama. No bang. No burning smells. A green power light was lit. Did a little success dance. BLOODY HELL!
OK. Feeling brave I then enabled one zone. Pump on, valve energised. Boiler running. Red lights on in the WC and in the zone controller. WHOO HOO! Motorised valve head opening... Hot water out of the manifold. Crikey. Enabled another zone via the 'stat. Was greeted with an LED on the polypipe zone centre, and another pipe getting warm as it snakes out of sight under the floor. The third and final zone. The reason for this long and convuluted post. Thermostat switched on. SILENCE. Bugger. Upstairs WC fuse blown. Boiler fuse blown. Arse. Disable the 'stat. Replace fuses. All good.

So, what would be blowing the fuses when that 'stat is powered up?
I replaced the WC fuse and have the 2 zones working fine. Assume it is the Polypipe motorised zone valve. I could take a known good motorised valve and swap it I guess? I have lots and lots of fuses....

If anyone knows a plumber or spark, or those ethereal beings that seem able to do both, that wants to fix this final issue for me then put him in touch. I'm in Newbury, and my skills are now being challenged.

Attachments

• IMG_20191028_170314.jpg
    IMG_20191028_170314.jpg
    470.9 KB · Views: 11
I would suspect that somewhere in your system is a component that is shorting ( maybe intermittent ) to earth.

Are all the components in/on your heating system fed from the same fused spur? Or do you multiple electrical feeds into the system?

Is the house main consumer board (power circuits protected by an RCD? If so does it trip when the fuses blow?

Apologies for all the questions - but it is the starting point before logically working through the system to isolate the fault.

You should ensure that the correct fuse is in place to protect the boiler - you don’t want to risk damaging the PCB in your quest to resolve the issue.

We can cover Newbury, from our Leckhampstead man, but you could no doubt find someone closer.

I would suspect that somewhere in your system is a component that is shorting ( maybe intermittent ) to earth.

Are all the components in/on your heating system fed from the same fused spur? Or do you multiple electrical feeds into the system?

Is the house main consumer board (power circuits protected by an RCD? If so does it trip when the fuses blow?

Apologies for all the questions - but it is the starting point before logically working through the system to isolate the fault.

You should ensure that the correct fuse is in place to protect the boiler - you don’t want to risk damaging the PCB in your quest to resolve the issue.

We can cover Newbury, from our Leckhampstead man, but you could no doubt find someone closer.

Absolutely agree on asking LOADS of questions, remotefixes are near impossible! So thank you for asking.

The boiler is on a spur with a number of other items.
We have 3 consumer units. None of the RCD's trigger when the boiler fuse goes. Although recently, just once, it did!

However, a little prgress was made today. I suspected the manifold valve was the culprit. So I removed a known good valve from the downstairs manifold, removed the suspect one from upstairs and wired in the known good valve. Blow me down! It WORKS!

I've taken the bad valve apart and it does not look pretty.........

New one on order.

Good day everyone,

I'm coming to this forum in the hope that the collective minds can help me. The story is long, depressing and complex so I'll try to condense the issues for you all, and hopefully you can steer me in the right direction. Thanks in advance for reading the below tale...

We moved into this lovely old house in June this year, in the midst of the summer heat. I noticed the heated towel rails were on, ALL THE TIME! Cue much bedtime sweating, and not the pleasant kind either. :) Anyhow, we had hot water, and we had warm fluffy towels. Life was good.
Being the inquistive type I had a look in the room that houses the boiler and UFH manifold and promptly stood there gawping at the sight of it. VERY complex.. To me anyway. As the days passed we realised that the only way of having hot water was to use the immersion. A local plumber was called and he replaced a Honeywell 2 port valve head, a hot water pump, and did some other stuff which I didn't see, and my wife didn't understand... We had hot water from the boiler now!

Weeks went by and I noticed that one part of the UFH in the kitchen was stone cold. Other part was almost too hot to walk on! The floor is tiled. Upstairs, there is a second manifold, and this didn't appear to do anything at all, DEAD. As a dead thing. No pump, no lights on the wiring centre, nothing. Hmmm.

2 (more) plumbers have been, and neither has fixed it. One came and never even billed us, and now won't return my calls. He must be scared of the system for some reason. I wonder why?

Fast forward to this week.

Boiler now blowing the 3A fuse on a regualar basis. Nothing has changed! So I kept flinging 3A fuses in it, almost every day. Now running on a 5A fuse and is perfectly happy again. How odd?! Anyhow, the gas supplier includes boiler cover on the tarriff we pay. So I called out.
Engineer takes a cursory look at the boiler, declares it fit, points accusatory finger at the UFH system "WE DON'T TOUCH THAT! IT MUST BE CAUSING THE ISSUE. GOODBYE!".. Now, he didn't even check the fuse on the wall outlet. How do I know this? Because I had to put a manky looking old fuse in there that tested fine, but had been in my odds and ends jar for YEARS and was filthy on the ceramic section. Aforementioned "engineer" was asked "so what rating of fuse should be in there?". "3 amps mate. I only got the fuse to blow when the UFH was turned on...". No. No you didn't. The manky looking fuse is still in there and is fine. You never changed it.

I discovered the issue with the cold cold zone was flow related, so have fixed that, it is lovely and warm in both areas of that zone now. I dropped the heat down to the recommended 45C too, so we can walk about on the floor without making "oooh, oooh, ahhh, oh, ooooh" noises like we are crossing hot sand barefoot. Hurrah. Fuse in the boiler is still fine. Fuse in the Polypipe wiring centre was the wrong rating. Put a brand new 5A glass fuse in there. Brushed out the remains of the exploded fuses from the previous plumbers visits too.. So downstairs now seems to work fine.

Moving on to upstairs. Start with the easy stuff right? Previous plumber had replaced a fuse in the Polypipe wiring centre upstairs and managed to blow the fuse in the upstairs Polypipe WC (Wiring Centre), the downstairs WC and the boiler 240v outlet... Not good. He ran away and never came back. I fitted a 5A glass fuse in the WC, turned all the zone thermostats to "off", and pushed the fuse holder home.. Safety squint enabled. No drama. No bang. No burning smells. A green power light was lit. Did a little success dance. BLOODY HELL!
OK. Feeling brave I then enabled one zone. Pump on, valve energised. Boiler running. Red lights on in the WC and in the zone controller. WHOO HOO! Motorised valve head opening... Hot water out of the manifold. Crikey. Enabled another zone via the 'stat. Was greeted with an LED on the polypipe zone centre, and another pipe getting warm as it snakes out of sight under the floor. The third and final zone. The reason for this long and convuluted post. Thermostat switched on. SILENCE. Bugger. Upstairs WC fuse blown. Boiler fuse blown. Arse. Disable the 'stat. Replace fuses. All good.

So, what would be blowing the fuses when that 'stat is powered up?
I replaced the WC fuse and have the 2 zones working fine. Assume it is the Polypipe motorised zone valve. I could take a known good motorised valve and swap it I guess? I have lots and lots of fuses..

If anyone knows a plumber or spark, or those ethereal beings that seem able to do both, that wants to fix this final issue for me then put him in touch. I'm in Newbury, and my skills are now being challenged.

Call an electrician is my advice, it will be a fault or an knackered zone valve

Reply to Polypipe system Zone thermostat blows all fuses! in the Plumbing Zone area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi all Noticed bad smell in my drain out side put my hand down and it unclogged it for now however I checked my sewer drain and after flushing my toilet a good few times nothing is going to the sewer so don't know is there a blockage or what way it works many thanks and advice would be grateful
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock