Search the forum,

Discuss pipe threads - tips&tricks in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

brikgreg

hello colegues

Im in HVAC buisiness as you but Im from Slovenia. I was looking similar forums in my country, but no luck so far (too small market)
Im preparing tips&tricks manual for young plumbers in area of pippe threading (water, heating, gas). here we mostly use REMS machines
which is same as anywhere. we have imperial units 1/2", 3/4"... threads are standard from DIN, DVGW so they are same as in your country

well if any of you have some useful tips for this work, or you have manual you could recomend or book or just want to say hello,
please do that:)

Hello brikgreg, welcome to the forum.
hope you find the forum useful.
only threads have ever used are BSP (British standard pipe thread)

Rough up the threads with a hacksaw blade before applying your loctite/hemp and jointing compound.
Use cutting oil whilst threading the pipe.

thank you for your kind replys. I think its not important what kind threads you use BSP or DVGW, its technik and experience
(size dont matter:) roughing up threads is for better sealing, so material cut into opposite side? or just better hold loctite?, nice tip, thx Subby.
I have question if anyone like to answer -
in case you use loctite 55
how many times you wrap over threads? more than loctite says?
I notice older plumbers do that, just for extra safety

I always end up putting more loctite than it says but another plumber i work with now and again does stick to it more or less and doesn't get any problems, amazing stuff.

Putting too much loctite 55 on can end up causing problems as it can bunch and push off the thread. I use 6 turns as per the instructions and don't get leaks.

Putting too much loctite 55 on can end up causing problems as it can bunch and push off the thread. I use 6 turns as per the instructions and don't get leaks.

Does it go inside the threads or randomly all over?

all over, does look a biy messy at times i admit.
should just be more confident in it shouldnt i.

for Loctite - Im use like says in red tube, x-wraps per size and maybe 1-2 more, I try to get inside of threads but that I think its no big deal. thank you, thankyou, great help!

in my country threading machines are more or less without automatic coling system so we spraying cooling lubricants. question is how often do you apply lubricant on threading surface? you use any kind of visual rule like too much smoke to much lubricant? or ?

As mentioned before, follow what it says on the pot for how many turns of loctite 55 you need. You should start at the end of the pipe, going clockwise following the threads, but you don't have to follow them perfectly.
Then use jointing compound over the top of the loctite. There are different types of jointing compound for what the pipe is carrying (gas, potable water, heating water etc).

Any screwed joint over 1" (28mm) will be difficult to do up, so use a chain vise and a set of stillsons (pipe wrench).
It is possible to overtighten things, and brass fittings can split when steel is screwed in with too much force.

As for lubricant, use the correct stuff (cutting oil), you can get it in an aerosol spray. Too much smoke = not enough oil, as the pipe is getting too hot. We tend to spray ours the whole time the thread is being cut.

Last edited:
if you're in situation to to teach young aprentice how to make threads on pipes, what would you told them?
what basic rules that they should memorize forever?
Suby, Steve and others, I'd really like to have your opinion on this, also from any experienced plumbers out there

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to pipe threads - tips&tricks in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the man-door to the boiler room. It's intent is to 'halt' the operation of the boilers in the room should there be an emergency. He is demanding that I do...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock