Search the forum,

Discuss Oil Tank cut off solenoid in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Is it acceptable to place a cut off solenoid valve on the output of an elevated oil tank?
Reasoning being that the oil pipe goes into the house to feed the boiler, should there be a leak within the house theres a chance it may be more likely to be noticed when the boiler is on than off.
So the valve would only be open when the boiler is on.

Is it acceptable to place a cut off solenoid valve on the output of an elevated oil tank?
Reasoning being that the oil pipe goes into the house to feed the boiler, should there be a leak within the house theres a chance it may be more likely to be noticed when the boiler is on than off.
So the valve would only be open when the boiler is on.

First off yes a solenoid can be installed on the oil line, these are usually linked through a thermal link (fuse) mounted above the boiler/boilers, in the event of a fire the fuse will melt shutting the solenoid coil down. Commonly used in large buildings being fed by multiple boilers where normal gas/liquid filled fire valves aren't used.
You can I suppose use one as you intend as yes the solenoid will only be energised when there's a demand for heat and unused remains NC (normally closed). Obviously an electrical mounted externally needs to be weather sealed ie in a box.
Having said this why would you want one, have you noticed a leak or are suspicious of one?

There had been a leak for the previous owners and although repaired I see the mess it made and the possibility of an even greater mess should it fail whilst the tank is full
Whilst not needed for normal use I was just unsure if this would cause any unexpected issues.

Reply to Oil Tank cut off solenoid in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi All, We have finally decided after a bit of a persuasion to have installed a utility room in our garage that currently houses our oil boiler. Initially we thought the boiler may stay in place but after discussions with the builder we would have to move the boiler to replace the floor and...
Replies
Views
Been in property about 10 years and the valve on the (round/bunded) Balmoral tank has always been in pretty rusty state. Tank is 5,000 litres but only got about 300L left at the moment. Please see picture. Looking for opinions on whether to get valve/filter assembly replaced due to rust or if I...
Replies
Views
J
Moved into an old house that has a vented gravity fed system (cold water tank and feed + expansion tank in the attic). I need to replace all ceased gate valves which is all of them... The feed pipe from the F+E tank to the oil boiler/radiators has a gate valve in the open position at the...
Replies
Views
Hello, I live in a two floor semi with a gravity fed conventional gas fired boiler (Potterton Kingfisher MF). The boiler is fed cold water from the loft water reservoir tank (which also feeds the cold water taps in the bathroom & the WC cistern). There is an expansion vessel attached to this...
Replies
Views
Looking for any ideas to help. I've a Heatrae Sadia Hot Water tank, heated through Oil fired boiler (working fine). A week ago I reset the air gap as I was having dripping from the pressure relief valve. Since then I've lost a lot of pressure from the hot water feed to my shower. The rest of...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock