Search the forum,

Discuss Oftec registration and gain experience in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

crplumbing

Hi All,

I was just wondering for some feedback if anyone would be kind enough to give me some answers,

I have 9 yrs plumbing, 5 yrs gas experience installing servicing and repairs. I have been gas safe registered for 5 yrs and now am due to re sit gas exams but am thinking of becoming oftec registered at the same time ( going to be expensive doing the both together).

I have no experience with oil as I have always turned this work down as I haven't been legally registered to do this, I then read on this forum that you don't actually need to be registered to do so, I wonder how you can turn up at a job not being oftec registered, how do you explain that to the customer.

If I don't need to be oftec what do I need to be? How do people get away with it?

Do you think I could simply transfer my gas boiler knowledge with a bit of reading oil boiler manuals that would be easy enough to pick up the experience on my own slowly?

I would imagine I would need to do some sort of course for installation servicing and repairs, what course would be best around the Ammanford area?

Any other advice would be most appreciated

Many Thanks

yep you can go oil with no tickets but you cant legally commission a boiler or install a tank and commission it, so better to have the quals. Then consider the su=ituation of most oil appliances in the back of beyond, meaning its best to carry another load of spares in the van that most merchants dont stock! I get all mine fm HWOS and keep around £3k of spares at anyone time, just means you can hopefully repair at one visit. Another toolbag of kit required as well, oily tools arent good in clean gas boiler kitchens :)

Hi Lame,

Thankyou for that reply, it looks like I would need to outlay a couple of grand to get myself set up, and then I have no real experience with oil. I think I would just stick to what I know for now and maybe have another look at this option in the future if I could find someone who would be willing to let me tag along to gain a little bit of servicing and fault finding experience but then who wants to train someone up and then have them as your competition. But on the other hand I was kind enough to do that for two people I know so that just maybe happen. Anyone from the Ammanford area reading this who may want to help please let me know,

Again Lame thanks for your reply and your website looks quite professional and it looks like your set up well.

Craig

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Oftec registration and gain experience in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi I am looking to gain practical experience with a certified gas engineer. I was in search of an engineer to work with accompanying them to jobs. I would be happy to observe and support where possible. I am now working towards completing and submitting my portfolio. I understand that this...
Replies
Views
W
Help. I am trying to sell my house and just discovered from local searches that my plumber - who WAS Oftec registered when he installed the boiler did not register it!! 😡. He is no longer oftec registered and having spoken to oftec myself on Friday, they said the only option I have is to...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I have just joined, after being pushed into some DIY plumbing. Here is my first plumbing DIY effort. I had a cistern lever that didn't flush properly, and had become corroded and unsightly. I figured I'd get a plumber in to do it (after a couple of years apologising to guests for...
Replies
Views
My daughter bought her first home and was hoping to convert to gas but its not available in the area, so thinking a boiler upgrade is the better way to go. Just after some advice and rough costs involved, is it worth getting a pressurised system installed and a new boiler and oil pump? Heating...
Replies
Views
Hi, I’m looking to retrain as a gas engineer and do a new entrants gas course. I’m a bit concerned by the ‘on-job’ work experience/shadowing, as some course want to charge £1500 to pair you up with a qualified engineer. Some courses don’t offer pairing and suggest you find your own engineer to...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock