Search the forum,

Discuss Off-peak water heater not heating!! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

shazchip

Hi all,

I have a problem, not sure what to do about it / who to call!

I've just bought a new flat, and with absolutely NO information left by the previous tenants / landlord, have managed to figure out with a bit of googling how to work the hot water system. So it appears to be on one of these Economy 7 systems so it should automatically heat the water during the night off peak, and the control panel also gives the options to boost in the daytime (either manual or timed).

When I use the boost functions during peak hours (I tried both manual and timed), the water heats up fine. But, overnight, I see that the off-peak light is lit up as though it's heating, however it doesn't heat as the water is still cold in the morning.

Heating with "boost" during the day is obviously much more expensive. I tried doing a "timed boost" during overnight hours but the "off-peak" cycle overrides the boost and I still end up with no hot water.

Not really sure what the issue can be as the water CAN be heated in some way, but somehow not the offpeak part. Don't know anything about the system or water heaters in general so I have no idea of the inner workings of these things. Can anyone help??

THANKS.
Shaz

Sorry for being so dumb (not sure what immersion is, is that the actual heating part?); by 'agent' you mean utility company? Or boiler manufacturer??

Get a local plumber in to check the lower immersion heater/thermostat.
The immersion heater is the element which heats up the water, and will have a cable going into it from the off-peak supply.

The lower immersion is for off-peak, and the upper one for daytime boost.

Last edited:
its basic stuff - but is the prop on a prepayment meter - we get loads of call out where
the power has run out cause there is no credit in the meter.......centralheatking

Dunno. What with it being a flat an all....

Could be unvented so I'd advise a plumber holding g3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Off-peak water heater not heating!! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I have an unvented water heater which for some reason every year causes me issues. At the end of 2023 I noticed that the pressure valve gauge was going up when the water tank was switched on. My local plumber came and re-pressured the expansion vessel as it was flat, afterwards we tested...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Have a sytem boiler with unvented cylinder with 2 heating zones plus hot water in a house we moved into recently. To start with we were always amazed at the water pressure so on the odd occasion that the water was only luke warm it was easily forgiven, but over time we have come to realise that...
Replies
Views
B
Hi everyone, I have a Santon Premier Plus PP120E (unvented direct immersion heater) fitted with two thermostats, which provides hot water to taps and shower. The central heating runs from a separate system. On the PP120E: Bottom thermostat is set it to 4 out of 5 (approx. 60C), and connected...
Replies
Views
Bridog
B
Hi,

Our heating stopped working today. We've got a Veissmann boiler that's under a year old, and an older Megaflow cylinder, and two diverter valves (all about 10 years old). We also use a Hive thermostat.

When I boost the hot water with Hive, the receiver near the boiler shows it's...
Replies
Views
Can central heating / gas engineer expert help me with below issue. During winter time only, I have been having issue with low pressure or pressure dropping with unvented hot water cylinder system. During summer time there is no usage of central heating so the pressure at unvented system is not...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock